need help hiding terrible dye job

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

need help hiding terrible dye job

Postby tigel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:06 pm

So I've had a really bad stencil'd disc I did along time ago. It was too skinny, the spirals weren't even, it was just bad. So I figured it would have been a perfect disc to try the saran wrap technique on and see how to do before I did it on one of my core discs...

Anyways, this is the result. The mix of orange and black made it look terrible. I don't like looking at it. However, sadly Teerex's are now in my bag for good and this teerex throws really well for me.

How can I make this not look as bad? I think my only option is to just dye it a different color. I've never dyed with light colors so I don't know if white would be a good idea. Even then, I don't think anything can cover up black dye. Should I go for a light blue or even a red (but not too red)? My problem is I don't want a fully dark colored disc, because finding it will be a pain in the ass. If it's a dark bright color, that's fine. Seeing as I'm trying to cover up black saran wrap I don't think there's many options for me. What do you guys think?
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Re: need help hiding terrible dye job

Postby Lithicon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:16 pm

I don't know if it's just the picture, and it might really look terrible in person. But, I think it looks pretty cool. The way the stencil in the center is hidden amongst the rest of it. Can't quite say what the rest of it looks like, thought it was lots of other things. But, honestly I didn't think it looked terrible. Then again, I rarely have any dyed disc. But, I'd throw that one.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby tigel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:19 pm

damnit. That's what a lot of people have told me, maybe I just think it looks bad. Comparing to my other dyes and saran wrap stuff it is utter crap though. I'm still open to suggestions on covering this bad boy up.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby juju » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:38 pm

tigel wrote:damnit. That's what a lot of people have told me, maybe I just think it looks bad. Comparing to my other dyes and saran wrap stuff it is utter crap though. I'm still open to suggestions on covering this bad boy up.

Man up...who gives a chit what your disc looks like??? Throw it in the garbage or underneath the basket...makes no difference.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:58 pm

Sometimes some of the coolest effects I've happened across come from mistakes that I couldn't of foreseen when doing a dye. On a couple of dyes, instead of trying to mask the error I just reworked the mistake into the entire disc to create the whole effect.
Looks cool, it's just random and 3d-ish.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby tigel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:07 pm

juju wrote:
tigel wrote:damnit. That's what a lot of people have told me, maybe I just think it looks bad. Comparing to my other dyes and saran wrap stuff it is utter crap though. I'm still open to suggestions on covering this bad boy up.

Man up...who gives a chit what your disc looks like??? Throw it in the garbage or underneath the basket...makes no difference.

Yes and no. No, I don't focus on what my discs look like. It's silly to not throw a disc because it looks ugly. However, when it comes to dyes that I personally do and have the ability to twink/change/fix, yeah I'm going to try and make it look better just for my ego's sake. ;)
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cjskier » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:08 pm

you can always fall back on jet black.
don't pretend you care what discs I throw
cjskier
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: beat ass banger GT

Postby Lithicon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:09 pm

Yeah, that's what I was trying to think. It has some very 3d looking stuff in the background. Very cool in my opinion. The orange black I think looks good.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby tito » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:27 pm

Dye only the swirly tri-fly design part in the middle a different color, but not dark. try white there, it might make it a milky orange. Do a thin black (or other color) outline around the design too, of course. and make it pop. then you'll see more options/layers.

dyeing discs is fun. my first dye job, I ended up layering a bunch of different dye techniques (stencil, spin, brush, saran wrap) and I really liked the way it came out and learned a lot.

ooh, just thought of another idea

you could mask whole thing, cut the thin design outline an dip that in dark first, then remove the background mask and, leaving the design in the middle orange, dye the background something.

a really thin outline
yeti pro aviar / z drone / z predator / esp meteor / DGR PD / s destroyer / nuke os
tito
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Predator roar!

Postby ChUcK » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:50 am

Either leave it or dye the entire flight plate jet black. There's bigger and better challenges ahead of you dye-wise. Sell it to one of the dudes who likes it and get another teerex.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby JohnnyB » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:04 pm

put a stamp on the underside
This was on a completely sick dye, but people always commented on the under dye.
*whoops let me resize that
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby Trey133 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:40 am

thats ridiculous!

Nice!

I haven't thought about doing an underside dye yet.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby tigel » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:37 pm

I'm a little confused. Was the disc black and you under-dyed that stamp on there?

So you're recommending I dye this disc black and then put a stamp on the other side?
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JohnnyB » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:38 pm

The disc was red and I just did a full dip. There was a design on the front as well, but I was just showing that you could put a design on the bottom while covering up the parts you don't want seen.
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby tigel » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:57 am

Hey guys, just wanted to update!

I'm currently waiting for my last dye to get done on the outline of the spirals.

I combined a few ideas and came up with dying the rim black, and outlining the inner design. I'm not sure how well that outline will be (it's on the stove now) but just with the rim black it looks so much better. I appreciate it guys!
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Disc Artwork