Illegal discs and Illegal things

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Illegal discs and Illegal things

Postby Solty » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:37 pm

or..... (shameless plug)

order from Marshall Street as the re-weigh everything.....
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Craig » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:42 am

Yehosha wrote:Considering I've never met one person that does, I highly doubt it's half. I know it's not 99% either, but the % I'm sure is very high.

I don't personally know anyone who has bothered to weigh a disc, either. I don't think DGR is very representative of the DG community as a whole (certainly at least in my community), as I don't even know anyone else who throws a gazelle - and only a few Wizards and 1 or 2 Predators.
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby reallybadputter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:42 pm

One of the other things to be really careful about is how accurate your scale is.

Sure, it may read to the nearest 0.1 gram... but unless you are spending a lot of money on a scale or are using a balance, they aren't that accurate at all.

Looking at scales that are available through McMaster-Carr... the generic ~$80 scales with somewhere in the 2 lb to 2 kg max range have accuracies of +/-4 or 5 grams

If you want it much more accurate than that you need to either drop $250+ or you need to be using a double or triple beam balance.

Your typical kitchen or postal scale is generally not required to be horribly accurate...

Because your scale says it is 184 does not necessarily mean that it isn't 179g

Just some food for thought...
99% of the putts that you leave short never go in.
The other 1% never had a chance.
reallybadputter
Noob

Postby chiggins » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:01 am

juju wrote:
cjskier wrote:Why would you not want to know that it REALLY weighs?

Because then I couldn't throw it if I knew it was illegal. Ignorance is bliss...

Wasn't this an issue for American players at the Japan Open a few years ago? I remember the scenario being something like: they showed up with a bunch of Innova 150 class stuff that weighed more than 150g, which not only violated regulations but would have been against the law to throw, and they had to play with brand new, unseasoned discs.

Here, I think the presumption is that if the manufacturer writes 175 on the disc, then it's not on you if it's not.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Star Shark » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Yes, it was a big issue. Innova had given many of their players 150g plastic to work on a few months before the tournament
and they get there and most of the discs are weging 154-156g. They had to be thrown out and given new ones which were within spec. So those 3 months they spent beating in the original discs was a total waste and they and to work with brand new plastic at the tournament.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Jsw » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:04 pm

reallybadputter wrote:One of the other things to be really careful about is how accurate your scale is.

Sure, it may read to the nearest 0.1 gram... but unless you are spending a lot of money on a scale or are using a balance, they aren't that accurate at all.

Looking at scales that are available through McMaster-Carr... the generic ~$80 scales with somewhere in the 2 lb to 2 kg max range have accuracies of +/-4 or 5 grams

If you want it much more accurate than that you need to either drop $250+ or you need to be using a double or triple beam balance.

Your typical kitchen or postal scale is generally not required to be horribly accurate...

This is why I haven't purchased a scale and worried much about the disc weight. I generally order my drivers in the mid to high 160s area. So if they are actually +/-5 grams it doesn't bother me.

I don't trust cheap instruments much more than the weights that Innova/Discraft/Gateway claim the disc is from the factory.

shut up and throw 8)
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby cjskier » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:04 am

reallybadputter wrote:One of the other things to be really careful about is how accurate your scale is.

Just check to see if it is off then. Put a nickle on it, it should weight 5 grams. Put 20 of em on it and see how close to 100 grams you are. The cheap $20 scales dealers tend to use(500g cap.) are usually fairly accurate. Check for your self.
don't pretend you care what discs I throw
cjskier
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: beat ass banger GT

Postby Mason65 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:30 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your scale is off for one disc, wouldn't it be off by a similar margin for all discs? My scale seems to weight everything about a gram heavy, so I know a disc is good as long as its not more than a couple grams off.
Destroyer*XXX*Eagle*Roc*Ion

Golden Retrieved: 18
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:37 pm

What is the use of having a rule that will never be enforced?
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Am I on the PDGA boards because I feel like this topic has been discussed to death.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:05 pm

Liability for one. If someone gets injured and it can be shown the disc was overweight, that puts the responsibility more on the player and the manufacturer, not the PDGA. Even more magnified in Japan where the overweight discs are illegal.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JimW » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:09 pm

TeamTollandDG wrote:What is the use of having a rule that will never be enforced?

If the PDGA didn't have the rule on it then there would be no reason for manufacturers to keep the weight limits where they're at. While the rule may not be enforced at tournaments it does prevent overweight discs from being intentionally made.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Danforth » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:12 pm

I tried a Banger GT in ESP plastic and found it to be too slick. I stuck it in a sand-blaster with coarse blasing media. It made the sides tacky and grippy in a hurry, it also took away some of the stability.

I've also experimented with VHT traction compound mixed with acetone. It makes flat-toped discs domey! 8)
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Postby Roy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:42 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:

Liability for one. If someone gets injured and it can be shown the disc was overweight, that puts the responsibility more on the player and the manufacturer, not the PDGA. Even more magnified in Japan where the overweight discs are illegal.

I never got the Japan rule... If I pick off some guy walking down the fairway, am I going to do any less damage with a 150g disc?
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby ChUcK » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:52 pm

Roy wrote:If I pick off some guy walking down the fairway, am I going to do any less damage with a 150g disc?

Yes. Mass = Inertia, which is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's motion. The more massive an object, the harder it is to change its motion (in this case, it takes more work done by the skull on the disc to stop its flight). That "more work" is equivalent to "more skull damage".
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion