Discspeed's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discspeed's Bag

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:15 am

discspeed wrote:Here's where I'm at currently:

174 proto Organic Voodoo--putts, understable drives
175 proto Organic Voodoo--longer approach/driving

177 ESP Meteor--beat for turnovers and rollers
178 X Buzzz--Trial--I would like something b/w my Meteor and Z Buzzz, hope this works
177 Glow Z Buzzz--workhorse mid for stable shots
180 Proline Aftershock--hyzer and wind mid

175 FR Z Stalker--seasoned and versatile for all kinds of shots
175 FR Z Stalker--new and overstable
175 11x Champ Eagle X--hyzers and flex shots
174 11x Champ Firebird--forehand approaches, wind, thumbers, FH rollers

175 Opaque Champ Viking (Valk stamp)--low ceilings, hyzer, straight and turnover drives
175 Champ Katana--Super fast straight D driver
175 Pro Boss--fairly overstable D driver
175 Star Boss--Low profile, fast, with little glide for wind(tested and approved for 30mph)
175 Champ Boss--Great hyzer disc in moderate wind conditions with a lovely skip

I removed my lighter putter, lost my Valk and replaced it with Viking, and my Orc is getting some timeout. It seems that the Viking/Katana negate the Orc's place, and its been a bad month for me & the Orc. I think our November wind has a lot to do with that. None of my other discs are so sensitive to both head and tailwinds...I just don't know what my Orc is going to do when the wind is blowing.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:17 am

discspeed wrote:
discspeed wrote:Here's where I'm at currently:

174 proto Organic Voodoo--putts, understable drives
175 proto Organic Voodoo--longer approach/driving

177 Glow Z Buzzz--broken in, workhorse mid for stable shots
177 Glow Z Buzzz--new, Buzzz line in some wind

175 FR Z Stalker--new and overstable
174 11x Champ Firebird--forehand approaches, wind, thumbers, FH rollers

175 Opaque Champ Viking (Valk stamp)--low ceilings, hyzer, straight and turnover drives
175 Star Boss--Low profile, fast, with little glide for wind(tested and approved for 30mph)

I didn't care for the X Buzzz (it was heavy and actually overstable), and I got more Glo's, so I swapped it out.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:37 am

174 Soft Voodoo--putts, understable drives
175 proto Organic Voodoo--putts longer approach/driving

177 Glow Z Buzzz--broken in, workhorse mid for stable shots
177 Glow Z Buzzz--new, Buzzz line in some wind

175 Z Stalker--new and overstable
175 XXX--overstable utility, wind, thumbers

I traded my FB for the XXX and took out the Star Boss.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:14 am

175 SS Voodoo--putt and approach
174 red Organic Voodoo--backup putter
174 M (rubbery h/s blend) Voodoo--purposfully beaten for understable/hyzer flip drives
175 M (rubbery h/s blend) Voodoo--stable drives

177 ESP Meteor--new for straight or slight turnover shots
177 Glow Z Buzzz--slightly seasoned for shots that hold the line true

174 FR Z Stalker--seasoned and versatile for all kinds of shots

174 P-PD--hyzers and straight shots
175 S-PD--wide open hyzers, flex shots, wind
175 Champ Katana--somewhat flippy for max D, hyzer flips
174 Champ Katana--Super fast straight D driver
175 Champ Boss--Wind D, hyzers, skip shots, forehand D
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:43 pm

After giving the PD's a little workout today, I feel like my bag setup is the best its ever been. If my bag were a quilt or a piece of fabric, I feel as if it is sewn together almost seamlessly. There is just enough overlap to make sure it holds together without the stitching pulling through the edge of the fabric, but there is not extra material hanging out all over. I'm looking forward to getting a P-PD broken in, but besides that I think I'm going to be sticking to this setup for a while. 9 molds...but it feels more like 7 as the XXX is a utility disc and I still pretty much consider the Boss and Katana variations of the same disc. The Aftershock is also like a Meteor-X (or the Meteor and Aftershock-L). I'm fairly certain they have the same core and top.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:39 pm

174 red Organic Voodoo--backup putter, actually less stable for longer runs
174 M (rubbery h/s blend) Voodoo--purposfully beaten for understable/hyzer flip drives

175 Z Stalker--Buzzz-like line holder

174 P-PD--straight hyzers, straight shots, forced annys
175 S-PD--hyzers, flex shots, wind
174 Pro Boss--broken in for straigher D shots
174 Pro Boss--fairly overstable D driver

Took Katanas out (overlap with cheaper and longer Pro Bosses), added another stability of Stalker, and I have learned my PDs more.
discspeed

Postby Timko » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:45 pm

I think that's a really, really solid bag.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby discspeed » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:34 pm

Furthur wrote:I think that's a really, really solid bag.

All of my molds have quite a bit of momentum in terms of how long they've been in the bag and the degree to which I'm satisfied with them except the XXX, Aftershock, and PD. The XXX is honestly hardly any different than the Firebirds I've thrown for years, except they are more available in a good shape (flat). I'm sure it took some slight adjustment, but I'm doing the exact same thing with them and I don't get OAT on my forehands like I did with the FB. The Aftershock only gets thrown once in a great while, but it keeps coming through when I need more overstability than my Buzzz offers. And I'm pretty enamored with the PD--It replaces what an Orc was doing for me with less overlap, more predictability, and a better graduations of stability (true overstable, straight). It has also taken the place of Valks/Vikings and allowed me to hand all fairway duties over to my Stalkers. I don't see anything changing. I'm sure I'll lose discs, get new versions, etc, but the molds are there to stay. I feel better about my setup than I ever have honestly.
discspeed

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:59 am

I agree, and Mike, I really enjoy reading your detailed review of various discs. I have 2 pro bosses and one champ boss coming my way for testing along with a glow stalker. I may try out the stalker as a complement to my TLs as you have me wondering if TLs are a bit to fast for some fairway duties. I'm also now very curious about PDs as my orcs are great for controlled D but are starting to fly a little less consistent than I would like. I do currently throw starfire-x's for headwind situations where the orc may get squirlely or situations where I need to throw flatter than I throw my orcs. The PD could cover all these shots with an array of beatnesses???
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby discspeed » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:34 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:

I agree, and Mike, I really enjoy reading your detailed review of various discs. I have 2 pro bosses and one champ boss coming my way for testing along with a glow stalker. I may try out the stalker as a complement to my TLs as you have me wondering if TLs are a bit to fast for some fairway duties. I'm also now very curious about PDs as my orcs are great for controlled D but are starting to fly a little less consistent than I would like. I do currently throw starfire-x's for headwind situations where the orc may get squirlely or situations where I need to throw flatter than I throw my orcs. The PD could cover all these shots with an array of beatnesses???

Yeah, I think the PD would cover all of the shots of an Orc/Starfire combo, especially if you have Bosses for wind, max D, and long straight to hyzer shots. The P-PD is more HSS than an Orc, but just as straight. It locks onto a line a little better. It is probably a 1/2 step slower, like a 9.5. The pro plastic makes up for the speed difference though. The problem I had with Starfires is that it seemed they only flew well when I threw them flat. When I put a little hyzer on them, even with hard throws they seemed to lack glide and not go anywhere. When I rip my S-PD with hyzer it gets out straight flying on a hyzer angle and then has a nice gliding overstable pull. Since I'm not throwing it flat I don't have to worry about it going straight too long (like the Starfire) before it fades.
discspeed

Postby Danforth » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:58 am

Is there a reason you have everything at max weight? I've found that the lighter discs usually do better downwind. My very first driver was a 150 class 8X KC Pro Gazelle that I still bust out and play with. Give it a good tailwind and a little anny, and that thing sails forever!!
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Postby discspeed » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Danforth wrote:Is there a reason you have everything at max weight? I've found that the lighter discs usually do better downwind. My very first driver was a 150 class 8X KC Pro Gazelle that I still bust out and play with. Give it a good tailwind and a little anny, and that thing sails forever!!

In general I find discs that are 173+ to fly more consistently across wind conditions and are easier to control the height of your line with. Most of the holes I play are within my reach, so I like being able to control exact distance across wind conditions rather than having a disc that is going to go 50' further in a tailwind compared to a headwind. I also like the feel of the resistance of heavier discs during my pull. I'm not one of the farthest throwers here or anything, but I do generate a good deal of torque with my long arms and I like how heavier discs hold their momentum and line better. Lighter discs actually have to be thrown faster than heavier discs of similar stabilities, so I like the slow pull. I usually prefer a gram or two short of max weight on all but my most stable, wind fighting discs.

I also play around water a lot, and there is usually a decent amount of swirling wind. This means I'm usually coming from the perspective of fighting the wind rather than being able to read it and work with it like you can other places where its more constant. Everyday here by the coast we get winds coming from two different directions, and the one that is in control often changes in the middle of your throw. All these factors tend to kick light disc's asses. I have an older friend who is a great putter, but throws light discs for his drives because he has a permanent elbow injury. He can shoot 10 down on some of our courses on a calm day, but when the wind gets going he is almost helpless. He has a super smooth hyzer dominant release. If he can't make the light discs work here on a day to day basis, then I've got no shot.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:10 pm

174 red Organic Voodoo--backup putter, actually less stable for longer runs

175 Z Stalker--Buzzz-like line holder

174 P-PD--straight hyzers, straight shots, forced annys
175 S-PD--hyzers, flex shots, wind
174 Champ Katana
174 Pro Boss--fairly overstable D driver

Put Katana back in...I tried to replace it with the Pro Boss...but that disc just couldn't do what the Katana does.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:31 pm

discspeed wrote:Put Katana back in...I tried to replace it with the Pro Boss...but that disc just couldn't do what the Katana does.

What did the pro boss lack for you? I put a champ katana back in after messing with a beat pro boss and what got me to put the katana back in was the difference in lss, even my beat pro boss would hyzer out and skip more than the katana for me.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:35 pm

Just saw your post in the katana thread that answered my question. I'll leave it up here anyway because I don't rescind my posts.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion