Illegal discs and Illegal things

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Illegal discs and Illegal things

Postby Roy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:01 pm

ChUcK wrote:
Roy wrote:If I pick off some guy walking down the fairway, am I going to do any less damage with a 150g disc?

Yes. Mass = Inertia, which is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's motion. The more massive an object, the harder it is to change its motion (in this case, it takes more work done by the skull on the disc to stop its flight). That "more work" is equivalent to "more skull damage".

I understand the physics of it smashing into someones skull. It's just pretty dumb IMO.

Why not use 125g discs? That would be safer than a 150.

Do they have lighter baseballs? lighter automobiles? lighter pom poms? You get the point.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby ChUcK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:05 am

Roy wrote:I understand the physics of it smashing into someones skull. It's just pretty dumb IMO.

It's not dumb. It's the real-life application of Newton's 3 Laws.

Roy wrote:Why not use 125g discs? That would be safer than a 150.

Policymakers in Japan probably decided that 150 was the lightest max weight they could enforce while still keeping the game interesting. If they made the restrictions even lighter the game would lose its appeal and Japan would miss out on participating in the PDGA. That small island is not like Wisconsin, Roy. It is an incredibly crowded country. The days at the the park, when you think it's almost too crowded to golf, that's probably what it's like at 9:00 AM on Monday on a DG course in Tokyo.

Japan, collectively, is a whole hell of a lot smarter than you- it isn't just some "dumb IMO" oversight.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby SkaBob » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:40 am

Most of Japan's courses are in regularly used public parks.

The 150 class rule was brought into effect after someone got beaned in the noggin with a disc at one of the Imperial Gardens, if I recall correctly. High visibility injury.

I like the rule, except with the advent of faster and faster discs, I'm not sure it's having the same effect as originally intended. I'm pretty sure if I nail someone with a 150 flick or Boss at full speed, it's going to do as much damage (or more) to them as a 174g XL at cruising speed...Still, the rule should stand.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:43 am

I think Roy's point was more "is a 175 g disc really going to do that much more damage than a 159.9 g disc?" It's a rule that smells of oblivious bureaucracy if you ask me. But hey, whatever, I like throwing 150 class stuff.

I don't think he was criticizing the culture, only the rule. But just because something is Japanese doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. :wink:

Last edited by some call me...tim? on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ChUcK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:34 pm

SkaBob wrote:I like the rule, except with the advent of faster and faster discs, I'm not sure it's having the same effect as originally intended. I'm pretty sure if I nail someone with a 150 flick or Boss at full speed, it's going to do as much damage (or more) to them as a 174g XL at cruising speed...Still, the rule should stand.

That's a good point. I suppose an added speed restriction would be in a similar vein as the weight restriction. There's probably a few folks here at DGR who would expatriate like Feivel Mousekewitz to a land where there are no speed 13 discs and the streets are paved with cheese.

Still, a 150 boss will do less damage than a 175 boss at equal velocities.

I wonder what the Superclass scene is like over there...Chuck Kennedy? I bet that's where Lid Golf could really be a hit.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Roy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:35 pm

ChUcK wrote:
Roy wrote:I understand the physics of it smashing into someones skull. It's just pretty dumb IMO.

It's not dumb. It's the real-life application of Newton's 3 Laws.

Roy wrote:Why not use 125g discs? That would be safer than a 150.

Policymakers in Japan probably decided that 150 was the lightest max weight they could enforce while still keeping the game interesting. If they made the restrictions even lighter the game would lose its appeal and Japan would miss out on participating in the PDGA. That small island is not like Wisconsin, Roy. It is an incredibly crowded country. The days at the the park, when you think it's almost too crowded to golf, that's probably what it's like at 9:00 AM on Monday on a DG course in Tokyo.

Japan, collectively, is a whole hell of a lot smarter than you- it isn't just some "dumb IMO" oversight.

Ok Captain Condescending...

1. Again, I understand the physics of it. I am not aguing with Newtons discoveries here... I think the rule is dumb and citing safety concerns even dumber.

2. I understand that Japan is an island, Chuck. I also understand that it not in Wisconsin. I hear its actually somewhere past Minnesota.

3. Japan is not as crowded as you make it seem. There are crowded parts and not crowded parts. It's actually getting less crowded by the day. You sound like you disc there all the time...?

4. I never implied that I was smarter than Japan as a whole. I will say that Japans policy makers have bigger things to regulate than the weight of a frisbee.

Maybe I missed reading about the pile of lives saved by this rule, but I still think it's a dumb.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:08 pm

They had to set a rule somewhere and they decided 150 was a good compromise on the weight. Most discs can still perform as they were intended at that weight.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby gator » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:47 pm

*rumor alert* I was giving an old board member of the PDGA a ride home after a tourney and we got on the topic of why Japan uses 150 discs. He made comments about Innova having a large role in it, in an attempt to sell more of their 150 class discs.
Jerry R wrote:As you were with Dave's testicles.
gator
Tree Magnet

Postby Roy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:32 pm

Didn't Chuck K say that it was going to be changed to 159.9?
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Timko » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Roy wrote:Didn't Chuck K say that it was going to be changed to 159.9?

Yes.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:59 pm

2. I understand that Japan is an island, Chuck. I also understand that it not in Wisconsin. I hear its actually somewhere past Minnesota.

Please keep the Chuck's posts differentiated. My counterpart spells his ChUcK.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:16 am

^

best Chuck post.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Roy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:42 am

Isn't it pretty obvious since I had the entire post I was referencing in quotes?

And then I used Chuck K. when I referenced chuck kennedy?
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:52 am

It was your Minnesota reference and using "Chuck" in the post that I quoted that made me think there might be confusion. No problem. I think ChUcK is from the Northwest US.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Roy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:48 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:It was your Minnesota reference and using "Chuck" in the post that I quoted that made me think there might be confusion. No problem. I think ChUcK is from the Northwest US.

I was just being snotty, as chUck said, "That small island is not like Wisconsin, Roy." So I reversed it. You know... one of those things that sounds witty verbally but looks stupid when written.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion