MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Ion is released!

Postby BCR-9er » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:38 pm

The Ion is now available for pre-order at Sun King Discs.

Also, I will continue to update the original post with updated information. So stay tuned :)
Brad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
BCR-9er
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Also the firmness is perfect for me. I hope you can make some 170+ Ions in this firmness.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby BCR-9er » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:07 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Also the firmness is perfect for me. I hope you can make more in this firmness again.

We can definitely repeat firmnesses in runs. The soft run is the only firmness so far, but we are working right now to get other firmnesses available for future runs.

EDIT: We are also working on getting heavier weights for future runs as well. We are aiming to get them in the the 170-175 range.
Brad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
BCR-9er
Tree Magnet

Postby riverboy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:13 am

I cant wait until you run some really soft ones. Looking forward to it.
ChUcK wrote:Gateway doesn't use foil hotstamps. Dave Mac employs a neanderthal with a chisel and a loveless childhood.
riverboy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: CE eagle X

Postby cmrichar » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:41 am

BCR-9er wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:Also the firmness is perfect for me. I hope you can make more in this firmness again.

We can definitely repeat firmnesses in runs. The soft run is the only firmness so far, but we are working right now to get other firmnesses available for future runs.

EDIT: We are also working on getting heavier weights for future runs as well. We are aiming to get them in the the 170-175 range.

YEP, we will be running that exact flexibility as our blue first runs were, and will continue to use that exact firmness. We will be shooting for runs around 170-175. We also ordered a couple hundred pounds of some of the exact same durable polyurethane we have been using for our first runs, but more stiff. We are hoping that this will compliment our semi flexible plastic in our first runs for those who like a stiffer putter. And of course, we will be using the same super tacky overmold plastic for chain grabbing. For those, we will also be shooting for 170-175 range as well.

I have not heard the status on some of the new color dyes yet, but hopefully will have those in when we have our next run. I was thinking about having a black overmold for our next run because I believe we have some of that available and thought that would look pretty cool. But I will have to double check all of this.

As of right now we have been in the process of getting the web page for the ION up, so I will keep everyone up to date on that.

For those of you who have one of our first runs. How are you liking it? How is it flying? How does it feel? Any negatives? We would love to hear how it is performing for you.

If you have any questions please ask!
Chad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby Aubin » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:52 am

i had a chance to fondle one of these at my local shop, and i was very impressed.

it feels amazing in the hand, and the two plastics are not just a 'wow look what we can do' gimmick blend but seem to be two very nice plastics with purpose. the center reminded me of a 150 class champion plastic... little thinner and more gummy and grippy, and the thumb to finger feeling between the flight plate was very direct and gave it that old glove feeling, unlike other new discs with Z/champ plastic. on the downside, it did seem just a hair too flexible and thin in the middle, making me think it might warp or sink over time. couldn't say for sure though.

the outer rim plastic was also very nice... grippy baseline-ish like D or DX, as a putter should be, but not as fragile feeling, a little more dense maybe? the only downside i could see was a little tiny ridge here or there where the two plastics connected, almost like flashing. i'm sure you could sand it off or just wait for it to wear down, but new it might feel funny for a bit.

didn't get a chance to throw it, but just based on feel and (honestly) looks i'd buy one. i buy a lot of plastic but never buy putters, i've used the same ones for a long time. but i'd give the Ion a try.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby tigel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:37 am

Aubin wrote: the only downside i could see was a little tiny ridge here or there where the two plastics connected, almost like flashing. i'm sure you could sand it off or just wait for it to wear down, but new it might feel funny for a bit.

My Ions had that too but after playing with them a few rounds it's nearly gone or un-noticable to the touch.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Re: The ION is released!

Postby BCR-9er » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:38 pm

The ION is now available at Gotta Go Gotta Throw
Brad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
BCR-9er
Tree Magnet

Postby Risk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:09 am

BCR-9er wrote:The ION is now available at Gotta Go Gotta Throw

Very cool and I can't wait to see Joe's flight ratings on this too
Force - Z Nuke - Predator - Stalker - Buzzz - Fuse -Zone - Focus
Risk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Solty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:10 am

shipping kills the ordering from GGGT and SunKing... :(
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Risk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Solty wrote:shipping kills the ordering from GGGT and SunKing... :(

Agreed hopefully discgolfcenter will start carrying the disc.
Force - Z Nuke - Predator - Stalker - Buzzz - Fuse -Zone - Focus
Risk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby tigel » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:22 pm

I know it's because I've been focusing on my form and such, but wow my putting has been improving the past weeks with the ION. The feel and grip of the outer plastic is just amazing for catching chain. I've been giving these a beating and they still look brand new. I think I have a tiny chip in the rim but that's not bad for being my putter and approach on every hole (for testing purposes) the past 3 weeks.

Premium plastic putter that grips and catches chains like base line plastic is for the win.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Got two on the way!
"I don't know who started it and I don't give a f***. The one thing I do know is that we did it harder, we did it faster, and we definitely did it with more love, baby. You can't take that away from us." - Stevo, SLC Punk
Mad Scientist
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby cmrichar » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Almost all of the First Run IONS have been sold to our retailers listed on the first post of this thread. Within a short period of time, they will be available from them!

We are hoping within a few more weeks to start getting these in heavier weights, and our slightly stiffer Proton plastic!

Thanks
Chad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby mzuleger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Worm 28 wrote:Almost all of the First Run IONS have been sold to our retailers listed on the first post of this thread. Within a short period of time, they will be available from them!

We are hoping within a few more weeks to start getting these in heavier weights, and our slightly stiffer Proton plastic!

Thanks

Sweet. looking forward to a 175g
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment