Tigel's Drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tigel's Drives

Postby tigel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:45 am

So I finally was able to get a camera and record some stuff non bedroom related.

After looking at myself throw I noticed I look like I'm not as weight forward as I thought. I also noticed it looks like I'm hardly coming across my right pec. I couldn't get it to go any slower for slow motion, sorry about that.

Please destroy me and let me know what I'm doing wrong. I recorded 10 videos I think, these were my furthest ones.

The first throw I guess I pumped some sort of OAT to get it to take a huge anhyzer line all the way right.

When I say "Tight S curve" what happens is 90% of my drives go straight with maybe an inch of hyzer, turn over for a second then start fading left again. This fade usually is maybe 20ft max. That Echo wraith and second teebird hardly went left or right. They finished behind the white goal. They didn't go pass either end of the goal posts if that gives you an idea of what my lines are like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQP2QvZA_LE

*EDIT*

Tigel wrote:400ft throw = 372.5 ft throw
375ft throw = 347.5 ft throw
350ft throw = 322.5 ft throw

UPDATE: 3-28-10
Well, 3 months later and I'm back. I have no slow motion videos however. WMM won't open my files for some shit reason so I just had to directly upload... Extremely sorry for that.

As of right now, Beto has brought to my attention shoulder position, hit, and acceleration issues... I currently do not have my max distance yet. The field I was throwing at the other day where I was throwing farrrrr I haven't measured yet. The field in the video I have no idea. I wasn't flexing my orcs so that number is going to be minimal anyways.

As for my opinion, my form feels great. What I'm doing right now I know needs to twinks but it's on the way. I feel more confident in my drives that's for sure. Comparing these videos with my last ones, I can tell a big difference. The hit is the hardest thing to master, and if that's one of my only problems right now, I'm okay with that.

I will say, these weren't the best representations of my form; at least for first two. The last one was clearly my best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6M-VzKx1Ko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72tQuyI57gU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0xos-QN3sg
Last edited by tigel on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Tigel's Drives

Postby rehder » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:47 am

On the first couple of throws, it looks like you are throwing well nose up.

In general, I would recommend you to start your pull a little later and focus intently on keeping the disc close to your right pec.

Also you seem to have little finish power, doing the above should make it easier to achieve more finish power
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tigel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:09 am

rehder wrote:On the first couple of throws, it looks like you are throwing well nose up.

In general, I would recommend you to start your pull a little later and focus intently on keeping the disc close to your right pec.

Also you seem to have little finish power, doing the above should make it easier to achieve more finish power

Do you mean "it looks like you are throwing well nose up" as in by throwing nose up, I'm doing it well or I'm throwing with a lot of nose up. Sorry I confuse myself and I can't decide if that was a positive, or negative comment. haha. I ask because I've always been under the impression that nose up on drivers is bad.

Is finish power the same as 'exploding', 'punching' and what the right pec drills are about in general?
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:17 am

it means it looks like you threw with nose-up. Not good if you where attempting to do a line drive, but if you wanted to throw a stall shot it would be fine.

Is finish power the same as 'exploding', 'punching' and what the right pec drills are about in general?

Yes, but to simplify things, I will say this. The lower your entry speed the easier it is to achieve finish power. Finish power is (amongst others) the fact, that you are accelerating at the hit. To reiterate what Blake has said on here: Its better to be 60% in and 100% out, than 100% in and 60% out.

You can see this in most of the throws of top-pros (and other players with good form), and this is also the reason why they dont look like they are putting any effort at all into their throws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOMbSi_-3-k Check Dans drive at 1:16. See how he pauses for a split second after he plants his foot and then smoothly accelerates through the hit.

Btw. how did you measure the distances of your throws?
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tigel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:18 am

I think I know what you're talking about. I know I used to have a bit more finishing power before I changed my form. It's nice actually seeing my mistakes instead of just assuming things are okay or not.

As for the distance measuring, I went out and did a rough measurement with a 20ft tape measure months ago. after 300ft (first white goal post) I put markers every 10ft. Ghetto style, just branches dug in the ground. I'd be fine to say my numbers could be off up to 15ft maybe? Hmm, I might re measure just incase. However, open golf lines I'm parking anything 300-380 so it seems accurate.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:25 am

Looks like you're short arming the toss to me. Like you could be holding onto the disc longer and you need to get that arm closer into your right pec.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby rusch_bag » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:36 am

Looked like you were releasing early to me as well.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby tigel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:42 am

I know when I started backhand with my original form release early/short arming was my biggest problem. Why does changing my offhand effect so much now? haha, thanks guys.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Parks » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Try lowering your reach back, as is too high (try below shoulders).

It looks your shoulders rotate in one constant motion. This makes it difficult to get the disc in close to the right pec and kills late acceleration.

There are lots of threads on shoulder rotation (find something with Masterbeato and/or Blake posting in it) that describe how the motion should be.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tigel » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Parks wrote:Try lowering your reach back, as is too high (try below shoulders).

It looks your shoulders rotate in one constant motion. This makes it difficult to get the disc in close to the right pec and kills late acceleration.

There are lots of threads on shoulder rotation (find something with Masterbeato and/or Blake posting in it) that describe how the motion should be.

Thanks for that. I'll be sure to do that. I think what happened was early in my disc golf career I would start from low to high and my discs would fly straight up (almost every noobs mistake). I then started to begin high to counter that motion. I must have just got in the habit and not realized what releasing high does to shoulder rotation.

Tomorrow I think I'll go out again and record. The past few days have been cold and busy. I'm moving in less than a week so that takes most of my time.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Parks » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:17 pm

tigel wrote:Thanks for that. I'll be sure to do that. I think what happened was early in my disc golf career I would start from low to high and my discs would fly straight up (almost every noobs mistake). I then started to begin high to counter that motion. I must have just got in the habit and not realized what releasing high does to shoulder rotation.

It was easy to recognize because I did, and still sometimes do, the same thing :D It was a comment I got on my video.

Anyway, its not that starting with the reach back high messes with rotation. It just introduces nose up or off axis-torque to compensate for that nose up, and lacks power. Its good for throwing an airbounce, though.

I don't see many pros that can start their pull high and still have a lot of power. Avery Jenkins does, but he's incredibly athletic and strong on the disc. And even he starts his at or below shoulder height on longer drives.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby lefty-hyzer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:32 pm

looks like you're over committing/rotating your right shoulder at the last second before release, causing said problems (surprised it doesn't hurt)...

also, the finishing thing has to do with the left leg kick, it's eating up your momentum.

you guys would rape my throw, but it works...sometimes!
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Postby Pwingles » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:22 am

heyyyyy Mcbride :), ya if i can chime in, tighter to the body, faster pull with a stiffer wrist, maybe armpit/just under pec height, it may have been due to the conditions, but on the last throw, at 50 sec pause it, you look uncomfortable, like a slight slip, maybe putting too much into it? idk or just slippery ground what do you think?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby DaPats » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:24 am

Your run up seems to fast. Plus your reach back starts at mid level, then swoops down, to then at the back of the reach back it comes back up to arm pit leavel. Way to much going on there.

Slow your run up to walking pace and slow down your reach back and reach back on a level plain you are going to throw on. Less is more for accurate D and consistency.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby lefty-hyzer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:30 am

too fast? nah, hybrid x step looks fine to me...
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Next

Return to Video Critique