Tigel's Drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Tigel's Drives

Postby JR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:50 am

A shorter plant step helps in getting weight forward and try to reach back farther with the hips turning more and definitely twist the hips to the right fast to add power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 am

1) Your elbow gets hardly any bend in it at all when you pull so far away from your torso, so there is scarcely any chance for you to get a quick elbow stop/forearm chop in the power zone, which is where most of the speed of experienced throwers is derived.
2) The far away pull is causing your hips and shoulders to fire too early to compensate, messing up your timing,
3) You get an early release because you would have to put the disc into an arc-shape pull across your body with the disc so far out in order to hold onto it longer.

It is amazing how you're able to get up to 400 ft with this kind of form and so much nose up! I've only seen pros be able to throw with their disc so far away from their chest and get anything over 300 ft. So you must be doing something right, but not sure what that is, exactly. Possibly this is because you still seem to be pulling the disc forward just prior to release instead of tugging back on it as it slips out (which is what often happens with throws this far away from the chest, and trying to hold onto it longer).
Last edited by JHern on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby lowracks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07 am

How accurate do you think those estimated distances are?
lowracks
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks a lot guys, I'll be sure to soak these tips in the next time I throw. We have a good 8'' on the ground right now and I really don't feel like finding my discs.

As for run up speed, I think I agree. I did some slower run ups before that video, almost walking. It felt a lot smoother. I think because of the run up I'm forgetting the fundamentals a bit. At a stand still I'm actually really consistent on my throws. So I've always known my run up is hurting me, but never knew why. That's why I just recorded with my run ups because ultimately I want help on every aspect of my game.

As for distance accuracy, 400 is right. I'll give 15-20ft max off my ranges, but that's it. The reason I say that is when I did the measuring a long time ago and made stakes in the ground I'm sure I missed a couple feet. You can't be 100% with 20ft tape... I'll also say I've parked 390ft holes, so I believe it's accurate.

Also, I used to throw at MSU's soccer field (certified college field) and there's about a 30ft fence 20ft behind the field (street behind it). My throws across the goal line would still be hit the top of that fence almost every time. With the line they were, I'm sure they would have gone 80 more feet if they could. That's a bad example but I know 350 has been my average for awhile and i've been gaining small increments the past months. For what its worth.

With that being said, I'd love to get my hands on a gps device or a true measuring wheel to see what I'm really throwing. I'll be the first to put my pride/ego aside and admit to throwing less than I do, I don't mind that. Just from what I know now, those numbers are fairly accurate.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby lowracks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 pm

No need to get so defensive about it.
lowracks
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:18 pm

lowracks wrote:No need to get so defensive about it.

That's not defensive, just me trying to explain something over the internet.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby lowracks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Okay, dude.
lowracks
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:34 pm

I'd rather be 'overly defensive' than come across as another 'dude' on the internet lying about what he can do on the field.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:35 pm

lowracks wrote:Okay, dude.

lolz@defensivedudegettingdefensive
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby tigel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:39 pm

lol
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Parks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:55 pm

tigel wrote:lol

There you go again with that defensive shit.

Stop it.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Yeah, its just very useful info to know the distances, in order to diagnose the throw. Exaggeration will only prevent a thorough diagnosis, and defeats the purpose. That being said, I've met lots of players who think they throw 400', but by my measure they were mostly struggling around 300', except for the occasional magic hit that gained a lot of distance but was a statistical outlier/anomaly...these flukes are well-remembered by the thrower because they come with a lot of satisfactory emotions, but they are nowhere close to being representative of the typical throw.

Anyways, if you're throwing 400' nose up on low flight lines, just get the nose down on somewhat higher lines and you'll be reaching 500' easily.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby nothaz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:59 pm

I like you.

chronicatm(DGCR FORUMS) wrote:the only person that deserves to be hit with a disc is frank delicious imo

Frank Delicious wrote:Welcome brother bear.
You feel generous to your enemies and handicap your deadly claws. You are now Evander Bearifield
nothaz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Soft Wizard

Postby tigel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Parks wrote:

There you go again with that defensive shit.

Stop it.

:lol:
JHern wrote:Yeah, its just very useful info to know the distances, in order to diagnose the throw. Exaggeration will only prevent a thorough diagnosis, and defeats the purpose. That being said, I've met lots of players who think they throw 400', but by my measure they were mostly struggling around 300', except for the occasional magic hit that gained a lot of distance but was a statistical outlier/anomaly...these flukes are well-remembered by the thrower because they come with a lot of satisfactory emotions, but they are nowhere close to being representative of the typical throw.

Anyways, if you're throwing 400' nose up on low flight lines, just get the nose down on somewhat higher lines and you'll be reaching 500' easily.

I agree, and I want to be as accurate as possible. I'm more focused on golf D, I could care less about my field D. I anything 200-300 I throw my midranges, less than that I throw my putters. So I know I'm not struggling for 300 since I can get my midranges, and even aviars when I threw them that far. The percentages just don't add up you know? To say I'm throwing 400 because I can throw a midrange 300 isn't always the cause though. To make it easier, if I have time I'll go out and measure that field again. I'm in the process of moving so I really don't know if I'll have time! That will make it easier on everyone. I should have focused on that in the first place.

I do have a few questions. I'm a short guy. 5'9 on a good day :lol: . I can really see why being tall is some what an advantage over shorter players. My nose down drives usually don't get enough height compared to my taller friends. So in order to even get 10ft off the ground I do have to put some upward angle on my throws. I say upward angle and not nose up because I'm wondering if I can throw with an upward angle but still be nose down? Or am I completely off on that thought?

I don't want to argue with everyone who has told me I throw nose up. I think I'm just having a hard time relating that statement to my throws. I've thrown nose up and the disc flies upward. When I throw nose down, my drivers fly even and lift a bit. I don't want to say all of my discs fly at an even height, but I know for the most part they do. The 400ft throw in the video was nose down from what I remember. The red teebird (back view) was a straight bullet that nearly missed the goals. I think I'm confused on what a nose up throw looks like. Can a nose up throw fly at an even level? That might be where my confusion is. I'm seeing even height throws, so I'm assuming I'm throwing nose down. Which might not be the case!

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to better understand. So don't take it the wrong way. I've watched my video way too many times and the ones that clearly show the release look like I'm throwing nose up. I just can't put the video and the line they made to connect... If that makes sense.

nothaz, what are you doing to brian peppers?! He didn't do anything to your bush.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby nothaz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:10 pm

tigel wrote:nothaz, what are you doing to brian peppers?! He didn't do anything to your bush.

I like him? Whaaatt, lemee guess , you thought I liked you. I'm really sorry for the misunderstanding.

chronicatm(DGCR FORUMS) wrote:the only person that deserves to be hit with a disc is frank delicious imo

Frank Delicious wrote:Welcome brother bear.
You feel generous to your enemies and handicap your deadly claws. You are now Evander Bearifield
nothaz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Soft Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique