Tigel's Drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Tigel's Drives

Postby lowracks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:11 pm

If you're getting the nose down in your shots you shouldn't be able to see the top of your disc at all during the flight. It should just be a very slim profile shot of the side. Also, I believe it is possible to throw high while still keeping the nose down.
lowracks
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:21 pm

lowracks wrote:If you're getting the nose down in your shots you shouldn't be able to see the top of your disc at all during the flight. It should just be a very slim profile shot of the side. Also, I believe it is possible to throw high while still keeping the nose down.

Good to know, and I can say most of my throws are nose down. I wont say all of them are, because I'm still pretty inconsistent. It's good to have a picture of what nose down looks like. thanks.
nothaz wrote:
tigel wrote:nothaz, what are you doing to brian peppers?! He didn't do anything to your bush.

I like him? Whaaatt, lemee guess , you thought I liked you. I'm really sorry for the misunderstanding.

KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:42 pm

tigel wrote:
lowracks wrote:If you're getting the nose down in your shots you shouldn't be able to see the top of your disc at all during the flight. It should just be a very slim profile shot of the side. Also, I believe it is possible to throw high while still keeping the nose down.

Good to know, and I can say most of my throws are nose down. I wont say all of them are, because I'm still pretty inconsistent. It's good to have a picture of what nose down looks like. thanks.

Work on getting some more bend in your elbow/snap too...that should help a lot with your accuracy.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby tigel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 pm

JHern wrote:
tigel wrote:

Work on getting some more bend in your elbow/snap too...that should help a lot with your accuracy.

Will do, I think as I work on throwing closer to my right pec the elbow will fall into place.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DaPats » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:00 am

lefty-hyzer wrote:too fast? nah, hybrid x step looks fine to me...

Yup the run up is to fast and its throwing off his timing for the hit. Each throw was released in a different area of the release. The slower you go the more consistent you will be. After your consistent then speed things up. Whats so hybrid about that xstep? Looks normal to me.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby tigel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:31 am

DaPats wrote:
lefty-hyzer wrote:too fast? nah, hybrid x step looks fine to me...

Yup the run up is to fast and its throwing off his timing for the hit. Each throw was released in a different area of the release. The slower you go the more consistent you will be. After your consistent then speed things up. Whats so hybrid about that xstep? Looks normal to me.

This makes sense, I'm definitely going to work on a slower run up.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tigel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Epic fail on my part. I went out today and measured an accurate 372.5 at my 400ft mark. I screwed up on my 300ft mark, which was really 240ft. Dropped the ball on that one... So my "300ft midrange throws" were actually more around 250ft. Oh joy...

So subtract 27.5 ft from my original totals:

400ft throw = 372.5 ft throw
375ft throw = 347.5 ft throw
350ft throw = 322.5 ft throw

sorry about that guys. :? :shock: :(

However, I've parked 300ft holes with my core/mako's before. I've parked 400ft holes before. I don't understand how my field D isn't constant with my golf D. I would imagine my field should be further than my golf D but it's not. I'm thinking the tee pads are EXTREMELY inaccurate. I might email the local club and have them check it out... I don't know.. confusion.
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:32 pm

tigel wrote:Epic fail on my part. I went out today and measured an accurate 372.5 at my 400ft mark. I screwed up on my 300ft mark, which was really 240ft. Dropped the ball on that one... So my "300ft midrange throws" were actually more around 250ft. Oh joy...

So subtract 27.5 ft from my original totals:

400ft throw = 372.5 ft throw
375ft throw = 347.5 ft throw
350ft throw = 322.5 ft throw

sorry about that guys. :? :shock: :(

However, I've parked 300ft holes with my core/mako's before. I've parked 400ft holes before. I don't understand how my field D isn't constant with my golf D. I would imagine my field should be further than my golf D but it's not. I'm thinking the tee pads are EXTREMELY inaccurate. I might email the local club and have them check it out... I don't know.. confusion.

Don't be disheartened by that. That's still a long bomb and a very good golf drive. I had the same kind of eye opening experience the first time I actually measured my shots. What I thought was 400'... was not 400'
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Wyno » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Checking, admitting and correcting your mistake like that shows true character IMO.
With that attitude and some practice you should regain your distance any time :-)
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby nothaz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:29 pm

tigel wrote: I would imagine my field should be further than my golf D but it's not.

Mine is too.

Tigel wrote: I'm thinking the tee pads are EXTREMELY inaccurate.

I have played on over 15 courses in 2 states since I started playing in may/june, and I have parked 400ft holes. For me its a psychological kinda thing. I know I can actually drive 400 feet because of a few good throws over a football field(360 feet from goal post to goal post) but I always seem more consistent and farther while just playing golf.

Now my longest throw ever was in the field, 475ft with a 154g r-pro boss, but that doesn't count seeing that my farthest drive with any other disc is like 425ft.
chronicatm(DGCR FORUMS) wrote:the only person that deserves to be hit with a disc is frank delicious imo

Frank Delicious wrote:Welcome brother bear.
You feel generous to your enemies and handicap your deadly claws. You are now Evander Bearifield
nothaz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Soft Wizard

Postby lowracks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:10 pm

With some corrections you'll be hitting those original marks in no time. Don't let it discourage you.
lowracks
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
tigel wrote:Epic fail on my part. I went out today and measured an accurate 372.5 at my 400ft mark. I screwed up on my 300ft mark, which was really 240ft. Dropped the ball on that one...
...sorry about that guys. :? :shock: :( ...
... I'm thinking the tee pads are EXTREMELY inaccurate. I might email the local club and have them check it out... I don't know.. confusion.

Don't be disheartened by that. That's still a long bomb and a very good golf drive. I had the same kind of eye opening experience the first time I actually measured my shots. What I thought was 400'... was not 400'

Yeah, don't worry about it so much, you're on the right track, have some good D already compared to most players, and even better: you have some fixes you can make to your form that will give you a lot more distance potential.

Still, good to know the numbers, because they are real objective data, and is the only proper way to compare/judge things.

I've also been to lots of courses where the tee signs quoted distances that were obviously wrong. I think somebody used an old clunky wheel measure (improperly), or maybe just looked out and guesstimated by eye (some people are good at this, some are not good at this at all).

If your tee pads and basket positions can be located on Google Earth, you can use the ruler tool/function to obtain pretty accurate distance estimates. I use this tool all the time now to double-check things.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby tigel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks guys for the help and motivation. I knew I wasn't throwing 300, but I was getting scared that I might be throwing only 300 after six months hearing my form has some issues. Poor form = poor distances... so the thought of my drives only going 300 hit me kind of hard. haha. Keep in mind I had a light schedule during those six months and I didn't work. So that six months consisted of 20-30+ hours a week on discgolf... If I would have kept track of my distances earlier, this wouldn't be an issue. It's all good though, I think I'm happy with those results, even 30ft less than I thought they were. Always room for improvement.

Going into this I thought I either:

A: Had pretty good form, and needed to work on a few things. My next step would be getting over the plataeu.
B: Terrible form, massive amounts of OAT, etc. AND my distances weren't what I imagined.
C: Form was so-so, needs improvement, but distances were accurate enough to justify said form issues.

So it's been a win win for me. It's kind of a mix of all of those options I had. I know where to improve now, and I also know my distance isn't bad, and it's also accurate (after today). So I feel pretty good going into 2010.

*registers for PDGA membership and orders a halo*

I'm still looking for advice though!
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DaPats » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Your throw mechanics are there. You just need to put them all together consistenetly. Maybe you need a visual taget when you go the field. Try bringing 2 fold up chairs to the field when you go to throw. Its like having 2 baskets. Put them 300ft apart and try to throw your discs within a 30ft circle around the chairs. Get good at putting your throws inside that circle. Move the chairs out as you get better. Move them in also to work on mids and putters which is the most important part of the game. You only drive 18 times. The up and down part of the game in disc is more important than being able to drive 400ft. Remember to have to fun and practice other stuff like forehand and rollers to switch it up so you dont get burnt. One more thing that every pro will tell you. Play catch with your buddies with a putter. even if its 2 minutes in the parking lot before going out for a round or even when you get back. Basically whenever.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby rehder » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:07 am

tigel wrote:Epic fail on my part. I went out today and measured an accurate 372.5 at my 400ft mark. I screwed up on my 300ft mark, which was really 240ft. Dropped the ball on that one... So my "300ft midrange throws" were actually more around 250ft.

No biggie, but its nice to know that my understanding of what makes a good dg-throw is getting better, since your technique didnt look the part for the distances listed.

Now if you want to throw further you absolutely need to focus on coming in tight through your chest and accelerating through the hit. One way of learning to do this is through the right pec drill.

And here is why you need to do it:

This position demonstrates that your elbow is at maximum extension, and therefore is not able to add any energy at all to the throw. Along with this is coupled that its not really possible in that position to get any wrist extension.
And along with this is the fact that your body is leading your throwing arm too much, this might correct itself though if you work on the right pec drill.

Dont feel bad about this though, because this throwing position is classic for people not throwing far. I have been there myself, and come back to it, when I try too hard, and dont focus on keeping it close and accelerating late.

Blakes diagram shows it perfectly, you are skipping the third frame.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique