Thumbers, Tomohawks...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Thumbers, Tomohawks...

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:52 pm

Alright, a Thumber is when you have your thumb in the rim (bottom of the disc), similar to how you throw a sidearm and throw overhand, correct? (This is one of my favorite shots, and yes, i do know its a thumber, Im making a point)

Then a tomohawk is when you have your tumb is on the top of the disc and fingers in the rim then throw overhand correct?

Well thats what my understanding was. I was looking at the throw analysis for tomohawks, because im interested in where they would be helpful. This is definately the first, but I didnt find any thing there. All three of the Tomohawks appeared that they were thumber grips. Alright so my questions.

When do you throw a tomohawk? If its only purpose is to get over trees on a straight line or right to left, opposed to a left to right like a thumber?

Is there a way to keep it from rolling when it hits? Wouldnt a grenade work better because they dont move as much when they hit the ground? (grenade another great shot, Like it more than a thumber, but not as long, but definately can get more height, so it still has its place)

Whats the difference in flight between a hook thumber and a regular thumber? (I plan on throwing some hook thumbs tomorrow, now that I saw how to grip them from Schweberger via throw analysis.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:41 pm

tomahawks are right to left and not as long as thumbers.

if they roll are you getting enough snap on them to get them to corkscrew?

generally i tilt my tommy's a little inwards to make them easier to flip.

the hook thumber is the thumber that most people throw now. the original thumber was a sidearm throw that had the thumb pad on the inner rim (but this is dangerous with bevelled discs).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:36 am

At least for me, once it corkscrews it lands on edge with the rotation of the disc going against it's momentum, yet it still reverses the revolutions on it and rolls another 10'. It's out right dangerous on sloped landing spots.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:14 am

I usually use tomahawks for trouble shots that go straight up and through the trees, not for any great amount of distance.

I don't know if I'm throwing them correctly, but they always fly relatively straight, corkscrew 3/4 of a complete turn, (left to right) and land flat with the dome of the disc on the ground and skid for an extra 20-50' or so.

Is that the generally desired flight path (and usage) of a tomahawk?

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby presidio hills » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:36 am

sleepy wrote: I don't know if I'm throwing them correctly, but they always fly relatively straight, corkscrew 3/4 of a complete turn, (left to right) and land flat with the dome of the disc on the ground and skid for an extra 20-50' or so.

i believe this is actually called a "pancake". it definitely has its place in my bag of tricks. recently i was playing a course with a lot of extreme up hill, so throwing backhand on approach shots was MUCH more difficult than just throwing an overhand shot, or a simple sidearm flick, because of footing. i think if you can get away with a pancake it's much more predictable than a thumber or tomahawk... but if you need more D or height, the thumber or tomahawk is necesary.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:43 pm

that is a pancake, but a pancake is a flavor of tommy.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:48 pm

Blake_T wrote:that is a pancake, but a pancake is a flavor of tommy.

So then the how does traditional tomahawk land and finish it's flight? I mean, if a tomahawk doesn't land on it's dome and slide, then it'll land on edge and roll...but then that's a roller, right? Should the disc turn over, or corkscrew, more than one rotation during it's flight?

I'm not trying to make this difficult...just trying to see if there's more utility to this shot than what I've been using it for.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:52 pm

sleepy,

a pancake starts near vertical release (flight plate, or dome as you call it, is facing left for a right handed player), rotates till the dome is facing the ground and lands that way. a tomahawk will rotate beyond the pancake until it is vertical again (dome now facing to the right) and tends to drop almost straight down at the end of its flight... the disc hits the ground spinning backwards, usually bounces a little.

a pancake is half of a full tomohawk corkskrew, for the simple definition.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:49 pm

Gotcha. I read the 'thumber' article on the main page, but your post helps clarify things.

Thanks!

sleepy

sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smyith » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:57 pm

my friends tommy goes perfectly vertical from start to finish. i always thought that it was because of wind or something but it does it even on windless days. i have nvr been able to figure out how he does it. any clue?
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:35 pm

if you throw a very overstable disc with the right amount of snap it'll behave like an extreme anhyzer that never flexes back. if you put more snap on it, or throw a less overstable disc, it will behave like a tomahawk. if you put less snap on it, it will flex out and fly like an anhyzer.

i discovered this shot one day on accident, which led me on the path to throwing rollers in this fashion... to do that you just throw it at the ground instead of high in the air.

hope that explains it.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:15 am

Presidio's got it, it required almost no snap. Just enough to keep it from fluttering
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Anyone know the instructions for throwing the Chicken Wing

Postby LastBoyScout » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:28 am

Anyone know the instructions for throwing the Chicken Wing that Mark Ellis throws. For the life of me, i cannot find a how to for it on the web. I figure that i would be another great tool for the bag along with the tommy, thumber, and scoober and all of their variations.
LastBoyScout

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:45 pm

we talked about the chicken wing recently http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=402... Ive been messing around with it, but havent been able to do anything with it that I cant do throwing forhand.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby LastBoyScout » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:19 am

Awesome. I just think it makes a great trick shot, and too boot a **secret** website stash of video....
LastBoyScout

Return to Technique