Wraith vs Illusion vs whatever Discraft has vs others

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Mark Brunner » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:24 pm

I have my practice stack of 10 175g star wraiths, all the same color. Today 1 out of the 10 just is a dud... I can release it with so much hyzer it will still flip and end right :) Something up there.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:22 am

I know this has been asked before, but how does the star compare to the pro?

More overstable? I just had one of my best throws in probably the last 3 years with a pro wraith, but I can see it starting to beat up a little, which worries me about consistency between discs.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:20 am

to depend on any disc's brand new flight characteristics is less consistent than anything else...
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

wraiths

Postby twmccoy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:28 pm

To me the pro and star wraiths have about the same stability. I get about the same distance as well. My pros are also not beating up too badly. If I were you I'd get at least 1 CFR wraith since it will last practically forever unless you lose it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: wraiths

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:40 pm

twmccoy wrote: I My pros are also not beating up too badly. .

Mine is not beating up quickly either. I'm just worried that future runs may be different. (Thinking that I should grab a couple of "first runs")

I'm still curious about this star plastic though; I guess I should just buy one to get it out of my system.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mark Brunner » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:49 pm

So far I do like the star plastic, I think only time will tell how it holds up and if consistency in runs will present.

It is definately worth checking out, I will have almost all my discs in the star plastic when every disc I throw is released. Already have the star aviar, wraith and teebird... Hoping on the firebird and TL and that should do it.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby daevidcardiac » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:14 pm

the dx wraiths are out
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby Smyith » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:13 pm

ok so i got my pro wraith 171g today and first impressions im not impressed. weather conditons were not any real factor - light cross breeze.
reasons:
the fade at the end of the flight is more of a dive into the ground rather than glide type fade. this happened any style that i threw it. i tried 3 different grips with it too.
although it did have great distance even with my bad throws.

this thursday im going to go back out with my friends pro starfire 173g, i tried it again the other day and could wip it far and straight, and compare the 2 and see which one i like best, but will probably keep the wraith in my bag even if i dont end up liking in case i eventually figure how to throw it.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

wraith

Postby twmccoy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:21 pm

Smyith wrote:ok so i got my pro wraith 171g today and first impressions im not impressed. weather conditons were not any real factor - light cross breeze.
reasons:
the fade at the end of the flight is more of a dive into the ground rather than glide type fade. this happened any style that i threw it. i tried 3 different grips with it too.
although it did have great distance even with my bad throws.

this thursday im going to go back out with my friends pro starfire 173g, i tried it again the other day and could wip it far and straight, and compare the 2 and see which one i like best, but will probably keep the wraith in my bag even if i dont end up liking in case i eventually figure how to throw it.

I urge you to not give up on the wraith. Keep throwing it and eventually your arm will adjust to it and it will soar. When I first threw them I was unimpressed, but after lots of practice throws I learned the disc and it has blown past every other driver I've ever thrown. Try to turn it over when you throw it. The disc will start out right and glide forever.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: wraith

Postby Smyith » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:48 pm

twmccoy wrote:I urge you to not give up on the wraith. Keep throwing it and eventually your arm will adjust to it and it will soar. When I first threw them I was unimpressed, but after lots of practice throws I learned the disc and it has blown past every other driver I've ever thrown. Try to turn it over when you throw it. The disc will start out right and glide forever.

yea i know but with the tourney season coming up i need a d-driver now and i let the wraith develop as time goes on and when and if i become consistent with it i will switch. im probably going to go with the starfire but who knows maybe in the process of thrown the 2 of them ill figure something out in the wraith and it'll change everything.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:29 pm

the wraith must be turned over and very nose down to get decent glide during the low speed portion of flight.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:04 am

Blake_T wrote:the wraith must be turned over and very nose down to get decent glide during the low speed portion of flight.

Should the x avenger have good glide if turned over too?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DiscCrusher » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:25 am

I don't neccesarily agree that the wraith must be turned over to get good glide. I have a 174 Pro and a 175 CFR and both will go far on a straight shot that fades 40-60 feet left at the end. Infact even with this line I can usually get them out as far as a sidewinder on a big s-curve flight. Of course the wraiths will go even further on an s-curve line than they would straight but that's true for pretty much all discs.

As someone mentioned earlier I attribute the fact they they can go along way thrown straight to left, to the fact that as they fade left they are still pushing forward very fast. Unlike say an eagle which seems to cut straight left at the end of it's flight if thrown straight.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:36 pm

i should clarify my terminology.

to me, glide = the ability of the disc to stay in the air moving in the forward direction at low speeds.

carry = the raw distance a disc is able to cover.

i find the wraith gets tremendous carry on any line, but the glide is only noticeable if it finishes nose down. a characteristic the wraith has is to accelerate into the fade line due to its high rim gyroscopics. this increases the carry but if the disc is accelerating towards the ground i don't usually call that glide.

i guess the other part of it is that i don't really like the 40-60' of fade for golf purposes as fade compensation with the wraith forces you to throw a longer shot to land an accurate drive. e.g. throwing 50' to the right + bringing it 50' back to the left on a 350' hole = 450' of distance covered.
Blake_T

Postby adidadg » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:20 pm

Blake_T wrote:i guess the other part of it is that i don't really like the 40-60' of fade for golf purposes as fade compensation with the wraith forces you to throw a longer shot to land an accurate drive. e.g. throwing 50' to the right + bringing it 50' back to the left on a 350' hole = 450' of distance covered.

Hate to be a stickler but this example is an exaggeration. Yes its true that the disc will travel a longer distance to compensate for fade, but for your example to work the disc would literally have to travel 50 feet to the right directly out of your hand, make a 90 degree left turn and travel 350' forward (the length of the hole), stop in mid air and make another 90 deg left turn and travel 50 feet to the basket in order to total 450 feet. I suppose of you throw an Epic you might be able to do that but since most discs travel on an arc aiming 50' right on a 350' hole would only add roughly 40-50' of total distance by my calculation, believe it or not. And yes i am a geek.

Your point still makes sense but the additional speed and glide of discs like Wraiths/Orcs would more than make up for the extra distance needed to compensate for the big fade.
adidadg

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment