PDGA rating question

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

PDGA rating question

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Basically I am wondering if there is anyway you can get a tournament you played to not count towards your rating. Any of you know?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: PDGA rating question

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Yes, play an event more than one year after the one you don't want counted. Otherwise, all rateable rounds within your last 12 months will be counted unless they are more than 2.5SD or 100 pts below your average.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Arg. Was hoping for something more than that. I knew about the 100 points thing and the year. What does 2.5SD mean?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby JKP » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:57 pm

Rusch are you saying if you have a bad round and want it removed? I dont think you can do that. If you could do that everyone would just not claim all rds except there best??

what about XC do they count?
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:01 pm

2.5 times the standard deviation of your round ratings.
http://www.pdga.com/faq/ratings/how-is- ... calculated

Some XC will get ratings depending on what the reason was for getting X-tier status. If it's something that involves mulligans, then no ratings. If it's say a Glow event with PDGA rules, charity event or maybe unusual payout structure, then ratings will usually be calculated.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:13 pm

For an example of what I was thinking, this didn't happen to me just an example, say you get a phone call right before you start a tournament and a close family member dies or something to that extent but you stay and play anyway and in result you shoot like crap because your mind is on other things. I was wondering if you could like petition the rounds or something to that extent due to not being at your normal level. My example kind of sucks but I think it gets across what I am wondering.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:15 pm

Also, I do not know if I am dumb or if this is just confusing, but what exactly does 2.5 times the standard deviation of your round ratings mean? How is that figured out?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Google "standard deviation definition" for explanation on Wikipedia

Players have control over whether a round will be rated by completing the round or choosing to start it in the first place. TDs are usually pretty flexible for returning entry fees for players who let them know about a family or personal emegency of some sort before the event starts.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby nohr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:45 pm

It is some wierd stats crap. If you have excel use the command "=stdev("
then put all your round score in between commas. That will give you some number. Now roughly this means that +/- your number you should shoot ~33% of the time. Then if you take 2* that number you get what you can expect to shoot ~66% of the time.

Now PDGA says that if you shoot less than 2.5 the standard deviation is like i don't know ~75% or 80%.

Basically get the Standard deviation number from all of your rounds. Then multiply that by 2.5. Subtract that number from your average round score. And that is what you have to shoot for it not to be considered.

NOTE: I am not a mathematician. And stats pretty suck.
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:55 pm

On average across all PDGA members, about 1 in 50 rounds (2.5%) will be excluded from a player's rating using the 2.5SD filter.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:11 pm

Math blah. I'll just wait the few weeks and see if it gets dropped or not.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby rehder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 am

If you dont want a round to count, because you played poorly, just DNF (IE. dont putt out on 18). Problem solved. This happens more often than you would think and it happens both with players that have higher and lower ratings.

This is not to say that I think you should do it. I think behaviour like that is generally pretty sad.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:43 am

rusch_bag wrote:For an example of what I was thinking, this didn't happen to me just an example, say you get a phone call right before you start a tournament and a close family member dies or something to that extent but you stay and play anyway and in result you shoot like crap because your mind is on other things. I was wondering if you could like petition the rounds or something to that extent due to not being at your normal level. My example kind of sucks but I think it gets across what I am wondering.

My dog of 14 years died the week before one of my major tournaments. I stunk up the joint the first round, but played my average the 2nd. It all counted though. I played because I wanted to try and take my mind off the issue - sitting around the house was worse.

I know folks have shot poorly and then just left so the round didn't count. To me, your average is your best & your worst. There are pro athletes that have had a personal tragedy and played well - Farve comes to mind right now.

Regardless, outside of personal injury that prevents you from playing, I think the round should count. I know some folks play through injuries that prevent them from playing their game to their normal level.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby nohr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:54 am

To the OP what is roughly your average and how bad did you shoot?

To give a real world example of how this is supposed to work I calculated my own Average/Std from the PDGA site.

My rounds are
64,65,63,60,72,73,63,65,66,65,62,86,64,69,65,70,99,103,98,65,62,56,65,65,72,75,67,88,83,75,88,96,83

So that gives me an average of ~73 shots
and a standard deviation of ~12.7

If I understand it correctly then I would have to shoot ~32 shots worse (2.5*stdev ) than my average for it not to be considered in my rating. Or a total round of 105 (2.5*stdev+average).

Now when I was doing this I wondered how the average works out b/c I have several tournaments that were 27 hole courses or 24 holes. How does this work out? Do they just do an average per hole or per round?

Edit: I know I suck.
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:33 pm

The Standard Deviation is calculated on your round ratings, not your scores. Otherwise, it makes no sense when the courses involved might be very long, short and in-between.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Rules Discussion