finishing a tournament in the dark

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

finishing a tournament in the dark

Postby chainbanger » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:57 am

so i have been reading the rule book lately and had a question that i didnt see an answer for in the book. if you are playing in a tournament and its not over by the time the sun goes down, can you legally put a led or glow stick on your discs to keep from losing them and to see where the heck they are going? or can the td stop the tourney and restart it in the morning when the light comes back?
I need your new old stock JLS'S
chainbanger
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JLS

Re: finishing a tournament in the dark

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:09 am

No, on the LEDs unless the tournament was approved as an X-tier Glow event in the first place. Yes, the TD can restart in the morning if there's another day of competition anyway. A solution I've seen several times has been to get cars with headlights aimed at the holes to finish. Legal but more complicated would be to get scorecards for the divisions that weren't able to finish and recalculate scores based on the common holes that every group in a division played whether that's 9, 13 or 15 holes in the round. If this was the last round, it can also be scratched if enough complete rounds have already been played to be an official event.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby curt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 am

I've been at a few tournaments than ran out of light, and so far I've seen the same result ever time. It generally happens with one or two holes left and the cards tend to just finish out in the dark and then complain a lot about it later.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Blink » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:37 pm

In a tournament last month one single group refused to finish the round and had to finish the very last hole at like 7 am sharp tee off.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Return to Rules Discussion