Winter (snow) footwear

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Winter (snow) footwear

Postby inthedrift » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:20 am

I use a pair of Stabilicers(?) - at least that's what I think they're called. I understand the concern about hurting your knee as I've had surgery on both of mine, but the pullover cleat route (yaktrax'd work too) works great IMO.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby pointdisc » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:12 am

The yak-trax were good when in one piece. The wire coils provided good traction while still allowing for a pivot. Had some last year, but they lasted all of two weeks and one ice-bowl tournament until the rubber straps on mine broke. Keep in mind, they were not made for disc golf.

I've got a really sweet set of ice cleats for ice fishing that provide the best traction I've ever had (a must on early ice) but the name escapes me. I'll poke around and see if I can find them.

EDIT: Stabilicers. A bit more $$$, but well worth it. They also have a sport pair that's less $$$, but look like a good DG option.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby JR » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:22 am

pointdisc wrote:The yak-trax were good when in one piece. The wire coils provided good traction while still allowing for a pivot. Had some last year, but they lasted all of two weeks and one ice-bowl tournament until the rubber straps on mine broke. Keep in mind, they were not made for disc golf.

I've got a really sweet set of ice cleats for ice fishing that provide the best traction I've ever had (a must on early ice) but the name escapes me. I'll poke around and see if I can find them.

EDIT: Stabilicers. A bit more $$$, but well worth it. They also have a sport pair that's less $$$, but look like a good DG option.

pd

The largest daily in Finland did a test on several traction devices three years ago and found none to last. Did you have pro versions or the regular ones of Yak Trax? Are the cleats Kahtoolas? Those seem to have too high cleats for concrete tees or rocky natural tees.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pointdisc » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:49 am

I had the pro version. For normal use, they would be great, just not DG tough.

The cleats I have are Stabilicers and this will be my third season on them with no complaints and they have out-performed the other options I've used. For ice fishing, they can't be beat, but I have yet to try them out for DG. They would seem to provide too much traction/dig in, but again I'm not exactly trying to do x-steps and rotating on them while out fishing.

Another option (for the cheap people) would be to buy/dedicate a pair of cheaper winter shoes/boots & put small hex-head screws in the soles for traction. Thought about doing this myself for my winter boots, but the removable cleats are far to handy to dedicate my boots to ice only use (not exactly the best for walking anywhere indoors with them).

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby The Bird Man » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:25 pm

I just got a pair of Bogs Boots. They are Sweet! Lots of people were playing in them at a tourney I went to in Humboldt County.
The Bird Man
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:25 am

If you are looking for traction don't even bother with the yak tracks they are just going to break in a short period of time. They lasted about 3 rounds for me last winter. Go with the Kahtoolas if you want something that is going to last and give you killer traction. You can't use them on concrete tees or rocky tees. The shape of the treads also make it comfortable to pivot on them. I'm very happy with mine. I use them on some Salomon rivertek boots with Sealskinz socks. A great warm dry grippy setup. Ive also used the kahtoolas for hiking while backcountry snowboarding. The same set I use for DG also fits over my snowboard boots.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby TheTyrant » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:25 pm

TheTyrant
Tree Magnet

Postby Roy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 pm

I usually wear 200 gram thinsulate boots, descent socks and gaiters if the snow is deep enoough.

I've thought about yak traks or a similar product, but never bit on them yet.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby what'shisname » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Roy wrote:I usually wear 200 gram thinsulate boots, descent socks and gaiters if the snow is deep enoough.

I've got the same kind of setup for winter and it works great. I've got these Merrells that have a little clip on them for the gaiters and a piece on the back that helps keep them in place.

I do have the Yak Traks as well and they are fantastic in the right conditions. Like what we've got right now where there's a lot of snow and warmer temps crating a lot of hard pack/icy snow. They'll grip the shit out of that and you'll never slip. Love them.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Redisculous » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm really liking these right now, but I haven't really played in anything else during the winter time so I have limited experience.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/fw0 ... 20gargoyle
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby tgm » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:29 pm

I tried those in the store but couldn't get my feet into them. :(

For now I'm just playing in Sorels and it seems to work well enough.
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:16 am

what'shisname wrote:
Roy wrote:I usually wear 200 gram thinsulate boots, descent socks and gaiters if the snow is deep enoough.

I've got the same kind of setup for winter and it works great. I've got these Merrells that have a little clip on them for the gaiters and a piece on the back that helps keep them in place.

I do have the Yak Traks as well and they are fantastic in the right conditions. Like what we've got right now where there's a lot of snow and warmer temps crating a lot of hard pack/icy snow. They'll grip the shit out of that and you'll never slip. Love them.

I have Yak Trax Pro and even grippier Veriga which are similar to Kahtoola. Neither works when there's fluffy snow 6"+ deep above harder snow above more fluffy stuff and the traction devices stick to the top layer well but the stuff underneath shifts.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Roy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:32 am

JR wrote:
what'shisname wrote:

I have Yak Trax Pro and even grippier Veriga which are similar to Kahtoola. Neither works when there's fluffy snow 6"+ deep above harder snow above more fluffy stuff and the traction devices stick to the top layer well but the stuff underneath shifts.

What are you saying? That they dont help when inches of snow shifts under you? I dont think anything is going to help that.

I am concerned about icey teepads.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JR » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:52 am

Roy wrote:
JR wrote:
what'shisname wrote:

What are you saying? That they dont help when inches of snow shifts under you? I dont think anything is going to help that.

I am concerned about icey teepads.

Exactly :-) Unless you're gonna use ice climbing cleats which placed wrong will penetrate your calf to the bone. That's where I drew the line -no experience but I heartily recommend against them. The manufacturers Yaktrax and Veriga (think Kahtoola too) recommend against using their products on anything hard so the ice should cover everything you're stepping on. Veriga and Kahtoola are improperly shaped for just ice IMO. For snow of an inch and thicker they are superior to Yaktrax by a wide margin. Both types help more than either type alone for all conditions. Or even in a single round if there's both ice and thick snow.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:55 am

I'm very impressed with my Verigas a competitor to Kahtoola. Running on approach power on paced snow tees was just fine. I even did some fairly good running speed drives and they worked fine. You just don't pivot well with that much traction. Running too fast and trying to pivot can ruin ankles, knees etc.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear