PDGA rating question

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: PDGA rating question

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:44 pm

So basically with the standard deviation, you get rewarded for being more consistent in your rounds? Also, when I am trying to figure out my standard deviation in excel, do I include the round that is subject to being dropped or not for calculating it or no?

From there, I multiply the number that comes up by 2.5 and if my round is more rating points away than that it does not count. Is that correct?

Also, when figuring this out, do you use my previous updates rating or how does that work? Because right now my SD is only 20.49 which means I could shoot a round 51.225 worse than my rating and it would drop?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:56 pm

YNY. Current rounds not previous.

You're only going to get close due to rounding within the ratings process which is done using ratings on a per hole basis in the database not the ratings you see displayed.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby nohr » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm

So basically with the standard deviation, you get rewarded for being more consistent in your rounds?

Yes the more rounds you have around the same rating then lower your standard deviation will be. If everyone of superplayer rounds was b/w 1000 and 1001 then your standard deviation is like 0.7. So if our superplayer shoots a 997 then it isn't counted against him/her.

I am a little bummed I found this information out. If you shoot too good of a round is it counted in your average? I guess stats are stats they always lie.

Chuck is the rating on the website and the one calculated from individual holes the same? Do they round up or round down? Not that it matters much just wondering
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:34 pm

We do not exclude rounds that are exceptionally good, just those lower than 2.5SD. Anyone can forcibly shoot a bad round (for sandbagging) but can't go out and say they are going to shoot a round 3SD above their rating and actually pull it off. There are a couple of processes that involve truncating and rounding based on a player's "per hole" ratings but using the regular ratings works out pretty close just may not be exact.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby reallybadputter » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:10 pm

So, the question is: Why do you care?

Say you've got 20 rounds that count toward your average, and you shoot 60 points below your average... that lowers your average by a total of 3 points... (more if it is one of your 5 most recent rounds, and actually less if it isn't)

Whoopdie doo... unless you are a sponsored player, what's the problem?
99% of the putts that you leave short never go in.
The other 1% never had a chance.
reallybadputter
Noob

Postby EivlEvo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:48 am

Hey guys, the search isn't helping me out with a question I have... so Ima just post here... seems relevant?

So I found out the rating for a course I play is (on the PDGA for tourneys is about 47-48) if I do the math on the "distance" of the course it's a 50-51. I think I'm understanding all of it correctly, but if the rating is for example... 50 and I shoot a 70. That means I'm 20 shots over the rating, so 20 times 10 (for 10pts per shot?) means that my rating would be an 800? Or have I missed something?
EivlEvo
Noob

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:28 pm

Yes. A 70 gets an 800 rating on a course with a 50 SSA.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby EivlEvo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:18 am

Cool thanks!
EivlEvo
Noob

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion