Finding Lost Discs

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Finding Lost Discs

Postby CJ1998 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:13 am

I was thinking that it would be pretty slick to be able to use RFID tags and a handheld receiver to find a lost disc. Usually when I lose a disc, I'm in the general area so all I'd want to do is pick up a signal from it to confirm that I am indeed close. I'm not trying to triangulate the position or anything, just a positive confirmation that I'm close. That way I don't spend 45 minutes walking up and down the fairway. Maybe I just have to move a few dead leaves.

Probably cost prohibitive, but I'm just curious. It would be worth a couple hundred bucks to me to be able to reliably find discs I lose.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Finding Lost Discs

Postby lefty-hyzer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:21 am

i'd say no...what can't you replace for that $$?
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Postby JHern » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:15 pm

Use a spotter. They're cheaper. 8)
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby CJ1998 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:53 pm

JHern wrote:Use a spotter. They're cheaper. 8)

Depends on how much money you have to give them to go golfing with you. . . :)

I'm pretty bad about losing discs. I've lost two putters and we spent 20 minutes one time looking for my second shot. Usually people are losing their drives, not upshots! :oops: Maybe I just need something extra special when it comes to locating lost discs.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Postby terazen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:27 pm

You could always buy really loud pink discs.
terazen
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Teebird

Postby JHern » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:26 pm

My wife and I often spot for each other, especially on blind holes, or on courses in the countryside. Its worth spending the extra 30 or so seconds or a minute or two sometimes, and you also get the confidence that somebody has their eye on it and you aren't as afraid to crank on it to try and make that money shot work. Of course, we also use bright discs, when possible.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby CJ1998 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:56 pm

Cost prohibitive indeed. Apple will probably come up with the idea in about 5 more years and it will catch on like wildfire.

When I come up with stuff like this, I'm usually thinking about all the discs I just lost when playing by myself. I should probably be more open to inviting other solo players I encounter on the course to join me.

A friend of mine is all about the pink discs. They seem to work great for him.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Postby nohr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:07 am

This is a great idea and someone with tons of money should invest in it. I think you could have a sticker maybe a little bigger than the gold weight sticker. All you need is a general location of the disc not an exact spot. If I could have something that would tell me over this way and not over there it would be great.

I have heard many people think that the weight stickers are bad luck. Well I keep them on there. Hopefully one day I will be called out for an illegal disc in a tournament. Then I can argue that it is legal and a sticker on the bottom of any kind should be allowed. Oh well it is just a dream. Btw if you play in a tournament with me most likely I have stickers on my disc.
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby victorb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:10 am

I pretty much only use bright colored discs...if you throw it where you want to, you shouldn't need a spotter! :D
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby stoneman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:53 pm

It's been years since I messed with rockets (kids got bored with it), but if you google rocket locator, there are some things available that might work for ya'. I can't remember how big the beacons were, so maybe it won't work well on a disc. :D
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Greatzky » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:04 am

the idea is great and has already been talked about and discussed on many other forums.

It's the legality of it that is the problem as much as the cost. You can't tape anything to your disc or drill a hole and put anything in the rim. This would be something like post-production modification or something along those lines.. This is like how you can't use paint markers on your disc because you are adding weight/thickness to that section of the disc.

For playing by yourself you can do whatever you want and you could probably get RFID's for cheap as they are in ALL new passports and possibly driver's licenses.
I believe they are also put into federal prisoners now(which is messed up).

The tracking device/receiver might be the expensive part. Hope this helped.
-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf Apparel
http://hyzerflip.com
Greatzky
Tree Magnet

Postby Spence255 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:27 am

I always wondered about noise making stickers. If your disc beeped every 30 sec or so I think it would be easier to find. I haven't really looked into it much, so i am not sure if something exists.

Maybe I should take apart one of those singing greeting cards and see if I can rig the mechanism to keep playing. It would probably be really annoying to any other players if your discs sung happy birthday or some random sitcom theme
Spence255
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Valk

Postby Greatzky » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:05 am

that would be funny. It would definitely sound interesting while flying past someone like how an ambulance sounds different as it's going past you.

just remember all is fair in casual play. Tourney play is a different story :). anything added to the disc would basically make for an illegal disc.
-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf Apparel
http://hyzerflip.com
Greatzky
Tree Magnet

Postby stoneman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:32 am

It would only be illegal in a PDGA tournament...if that's your thing, no singing discs for you. :lol:
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby smarkquart » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:37 am

Here are two options:

1) Feasible and economical but not practical- Black Jax sports creates 10g pods that can be screwed into your discs. This does permanently "damage" your disc if you intend to take the pods off. However, one of the features of a single-colored pod is to blink. While this feature is annoying at night, it is quite visible during the day and will definitely catch your eye. Side note - this does work well in snow of shallower depth, thus making it at least more practical for these kinds of events.

2) Not as feasible but interesting and practical - The stickers they use to track electronics and DVDs are very light weight and stick very well. I am sure some kind of portable device can be rigged up where it will beep if pointed in the right direction. It may not tell you distance but it would set you on the right path. I do not know the range of such a finder. The big expense would be the finder but the stickers for each disc would be acceptable.

I always use the gripe, "they can find a whale in the middle of the Atlantic but I cannot find a disc in a 50 foot radius."
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Next

Return to General Discussion