New Pesonal Best

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New Pesonal Best

Postby Spence255 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 am

I just shot my personal best over the weekend. It was a two under at New Hogan Dam in Valley Springs CA. My previous best was a one under at Oak Grove Park in Stockton CA. I usually shoot around 4 over at both places so it was very exiting for me.

One thing I did notice was that the round was pretty uneventful. I was talking to my Friend about it and we decided that good rounds are probably uneventful by nature.

Anyway I was pretty happy so I thought I would share the info with the people on the internet :)
Spence255
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Valk

Re: New Pesonal Best

Postby Blink » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:10 am

Nice, I didn't make a putt outside 20 feet or so during my best round ever... Drive for dough putt for show has always been my motto naturally.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Nice. Are you going to be at Hogan for the monthly this Saturday?
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Great course! I know how hard it is to stay under par throughout the whole round.

I shot 3 and 5 over the first two times I played that course (I play everything as par 3), but we were rather inebriated (an understatement!). I went back there a couple weeks ago with my brother, and I was 6 under...before hole 17. Heh, that's a great hole, but it can do damage to one's stroke count! Also very hard to get there in 3 throws. My drive didn't turn as much as needed, and faded out early, toward the 18 tee pad. Then on my next throw I turned my DX Valkyrie over too much and it sailed all the way down to the beach, luckily it stopped 10 feet short of the water. Then I remember looking back uphill toward the basket, all craggy rocks and everything, and thinking "well, there goes my great round!" I actually got about 40' uphill from the pin in two throws, and then went for the balls-out downhill run at the chains, and it hit, right on the money! But then I overshot my birdie putt on 18 and even missed the return putt, so in the end I wound up at 3 under. But anyways, I felt it was a good round, and I still was only 3 under. This is tough, because on other local courses I would probably have been 6-7 under for a round of similar quality.

I think if I don't mess up too badly on 17 (i.e., 4 throws, for bogey), and don't shank too bad on 15 or 16 either, then I can probably make 6 or so under par in a round of 18 when I'm at the top of my game. That's because there are about a dozen holes that offer pretty fair birdie opportunities for my skill level (and 4-5 that are almost gimmes), and the only question will be whether or not I'm hitting putts inside the circle that day.

But anyways, great course! Its only about 40 minutes drive from where I live, and I definitely want to get back out there. Maybe after this spell of rain and weather blows through.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Spence255 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Mr.SmOOOth wrote:Nice. Are you going to be at Hogan for the monthly this Saturday?

I have never played in a tournament but I am interested. Do you have any details (Time, Cost, ect.)

Thanks
Spence255
Noob

Postby Spence255 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:30 pm

JHern wrote:I shot 3 and 5 over the first two times I played that course (I play everything as par 3), but we were rather inebriated (an understatement!).

I played it as a par 58 so i guess i was actually 2 over. Still happy with that though.

JHern wrote: Then on my next throw I turned my DX Valkyrie over too much and it sailed all the way down to the beach, luckily it stopped 10 feet short of the water.

My friend lost one of my wraiths on a shot like this.

JHern wrote: But anyways, great course! Its only about 40 minutes drive from where I live, and I definitely want to get back out there. Maybe after this spell of rain and weather blows through.

I have been a fan of your reviews on the DGCR site. I notice that you rated the course in Orangevale with a similar rating to New Hogan. I really want to get out and play that course but am a little apprehensive since all of the reviews mention how crowded it is on weekends.
Spence255
Noob

Postby JHern » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 am

Spence255 wrote:I have been a fan of your reviews on the DGCR site.

Wow, thanks!

Spence255 wrote:I notice that you rated the course in Orangevale with a similar rating to New Hogan. I really want to get out and play that course but am a little apprehensive since all of the reviews mention how crowded it is on weekends.

Not everyone likes OV as much as I do, but it is fun, and you'll see just about every kind of shot/line covered in all 18 holes, which is about all you can ask, really. Some of the holes are exquisite (15 is my favorite), with long gradual tight downhill tunnels, slow left-turning tunnels, mixed open-wooded holes, lots of right-turning fairways, etc.. There is not much elevation there, but since the course is so old, the fairways on many holes are well-worn corridors through the trees, like going through arches that were made for that purpose. Great trade-offs of risk/reward, etc.. There are lots of fossil tee pads around the course when you explore, so you can also tell that they've changed up the configuration of the course many times until finally arriving at the present optimal configuration.

The crowdedness is unfortunate, but I've also found that the reputation for crowds at OV is scaring away enough people that the crowds have lessened lately. Other than that, you can plan to take your time in a round. Patience is a virtue, as they say. Just plan to hang out and enjoy the vibe. Bring some nice suds to enjoy while waiting. You'll meet lots of people, have fun discussions at the bowl holes, etc.. Better yet, get there early, play a fun round to learn the holes, and then play a more serious round after that. The course responds fairly well to rain and dries up fast, but not many people know this, so you might find the course less busy just after a good rain (like the present downpours, if you can predict when they'll end!).

If it is too crowded, you can skip up to Rocklin, which is also fun, and a nice park. Rumor has it that they are going to put in another 18-hole course at Rocklin very soon, making it 36 total!

Anyways, if you decide to come up this way, drop me a PM if you want, and if I'm around I'll join ya for a round or two.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:38 am

Spence255 wrote:
Mr.SmOOOth wrote:Nice. Are you going to be at Hogan for the monthly this Saturday?

I have never played in a tournament but I am interested. Do you have any details (Time, Cost, ect.)

Thanks

There is a monthly on the fourth Saturday of the month. I'm pretty sure it starts at 9:00am. The buy in is $5 plus another $5 if you want to get in the ace pot (which I believe is creeping up towards $900+). Ray does a good job running it and figuring out the handicaps. Extra holes may be put up depending on weather. It's a good time!!
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Return to Courses