Stepping toward your putt.

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Stepping toward your putt.

Postby ferretdance03 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:45 pm

I think beatz was responding to Jsw, not Frank even though his post followed Frank's.

I could say your reading skills need polished, but I'll play nice. ;)
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby beatz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 am

ChUcK wrote:Actually, he said that it was not a novelty. Your "logical" thinking could use some polishing as well.
Learn to read. :|
http://www.gdstour.com/index.php
http://www.utopiadiscgolf.com
code: "beatz"
recieve 5% off your order
Grow the sport!!!! Support those that support us!!!!!!
beatz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: anything gateway

Postby Greatzky » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:54 am

walking putts fit under the same terminology as "jump putts", or a putt outside of 10m in which you move your body and momentum past your lie. Either way all forms of Jump putts can be done legaly and it comes down to preference.

Walking putts IMO are much easier to learn and execute and are much safer in a health way as well as a rules way. Obviously seeing Dave Feldberg master the walking putt has led me to switch my putt to a walking putt too and it's made a difference. I still Jump putt but only for really long distance putts in the 65-90+ ft range I guess.

I know a ton of people that will not jump putt. They think it's silly and they won't really putt from those distances(ranging from 40+ft out) . They will usually throw an approach shot or a modified approach where they face more towards the target. **To Each his own**, BUT I find this to be silly as it breaks the concept of "throw your slowest disc when possible". They are using a technique that isn't made for optimal accuracy.

A putt is more accurate than an approach(hopefully :) ) and a putter is more accurate than a midrange. So technically by not putting you are actually throwing a more distance/less accurate style just like throwing a driver off of a 200ft wooded hole instead of a putter.

anyway, I see no novelty in using a form of throwing that is perfectly within the rules and surprisingly efficient with a little practice.
-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf Apparel
http://hyzerflip.com
Greatzky
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Torg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:49 am

I use the walking putt for long putts. As I walk towards my disc I step over it with my left foot I throw off my right. It lets me get a good balance point and motion towards the basket with less effort than a jump putt. Eventually I expect someone to try to call something at a tourney, but my front foot never touches the ground.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Jerrod » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:40 pm

Any one know of a video or youtube link that shows a walking putt?
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby chiggins » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:08 pm

I can't search for it (come on table m0!), but Frank posted a video of... Paul Ulibarri I think? Doing a walking putt where it was right on the edge, and it almost looked like he was gonna beat his putt to the basket.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby SkaBob » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Greatzky wrote:I know a ton of people that will not jump putt. They think it's silly and they won't really putt from those distances(ranging from 40+ft out) . They will usually throw an approach shot or a modified approach where they face more towards the target. **To Each his own**, BUT I find this to be silly as it breaks the concept of "throw your slowest disc when possible". They are using a technique that isn't made for optimal accuracy.

And being a moving launcher with uneven supporting points, spine, shoulders and arm motions is made for optimal accuracy? Such a technique is silly, when you think about it. Adding so many variables to something that requires such precision and consistency...

This is why I don't jump putt, I just putt at the pin from a standstill. I'm well supported, stable, the motion is always done with consistent shoulder angle, and I don't have to adjust for myself being in motion (potentially off-line since you can never be sure you're walking/jumping exactly straight towards the pin) when I throw.

I also have no problem doing so with surprising accuracy out to about 150 feet consistently.

I've always been really baffled by people who think they can't throw a putter 150 feet without some sort of jump/walk/run.

But then, I'm not a pitch putter. My discs are flying objects, not ballistic projectiles.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:37 pm

chiggins wrote:I can't search for it (come on table m0!), but Frank posted a video of... Paul Ulibarri I think? Doing a walking putt where it was right on the edge, and it almost looked like he was gonna beat his putt to the basket.

Are you talking about the one in this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15424
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:24 pm

beatz wrote:
ChUcK wrote:Actually, he said that it was not a novelty. Your "logical" thinking could use some polishing as well.
Learn to read. :|

DON'T tell beatz to polish anything. He tends to try to find "other things" to polish...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:24 pm

and by "other things", I mean dicks...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:25 pm

like a man dick...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby Greatzky » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:41 pm

SkaBob wrote:
Greatzky wrote:I know a ton of people that will not jump putt. They think it's silly and they won't really putt from those distances(ranging from 40+ft out) . They will usually throw an approach shot or a modified approach where they face more towards the target. **To Each his own**, BUT I find this to be silly as it breaks the concept of "throw your slowest disc when possible". They are using a technique that isn't made for optimal accuracy.

And being a moving launcher with uneven supporting points, spine, shoulders and arm motions is made for optimal accuracy? Such a technique is silly, when you think about it. Adding so many variables to something that requires such precision and consistency...

This is why I don't jump putt, I just putt at the pin from a standstill. I'm well supported, stable, the motion is always done with consistent shoulder angle, and I don't have to adjust for myself being in motion (potentially off-line since you can never be sure you're walking/jumping exactly straight towards the pin) when I throw.

I also have no problem doing so with surprising accuracy out to about 150 feet consistently.

I've always been really baffled by people who think they can't throw a putter 150 feet without some sort of jump/walk/run.

But then, I'm not a pitch putter. My discs are flying objects, not ballistic projectiles.

then your obviously talking about putting.. which is an accurate form and my post doesn't apply to you. I was referring to those who throw approaches unless you are confusing putting form with approaching form. Since you are saying that you can putt with the same form from 150 as you can from 20ft I'm going to assume that my post didn't apply to you at all.

I could potentially also putt from a standstill in the 100+ range but I would suffer a huge loss in accuracy because of the additional power that I am trying to get out of the few muscles used for a regular putt. **(Maybe I have a weak wrist and can't get as much spin as you can when you putt which could be very true as I'm not the greatest spin putter)**. If you merely did the same putt but leaned forward and walked toward the basket you could achieve the same thing with much less power being needed from your arms. I lose no accuracy by walking forward as it's not an abrupt and jumpy motion. I can use the same amount of force required for a standstill 25ft putt, but the addition of the walk can give me more distance. I also am not losing that much of a stable base and a walking putt doesn't mean that you are changing all of your arm/spine/shoulder angles necessarily.
I'd rather add 1 or 2 variables than to overpower or overwork the few variables of a regular putt.

btw... I am a pitch putter, but my distance putts are spin putts. It's funny that you make a comment towards pitch putting when the majority of the top players in the world (climo,schultz,avery, brinster, Feldberg, etc) putt in this style and even recommend it **(Although most don't recommend it outside a certain range)**. Both styles have their weaknesses and benefits, but to make a comment basically saying that discs aren't supposed to be thrown that way is not very valid.

I've enjoyed this discussion thus far. I don't mean any disrespect in my comments. they are merely replies and defenses. I apologize if my post seems any other way.
-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf Apparel
http://hyzerflip.com
Greatzky
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Redisculous » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:05 pm

nothaz wrote:Both my brother and a friend we play with have a putting stance that causes them to step about three feet forward on their putts. I called them both on it today and both got real mad and stuff. My brother started taking a few steps back but was still stepping forward. The thing is they are both interested in tournaments and I would assume this is against the rules even if they were taking steps back. You have to throw from 30 centimeters behind your disc so they would be breaking two rules, right?

Walking past your lie is only legal outside of the circle, and of course you still have to release it with all suppoerting points behind the marker. You can do a walk up to your lie as long as it doesn't make you step past your lie (inside the circle) and you release within 30 cm behind your lie.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby chiggins » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
chiggins wrote:I can't search for it (come on table m0!), but Frank posted a video of... Paul Ulibarri I think? Doing a walking putt where it was right on the edge, and it almost looked like he was gonna beat his putt to the basket.

Are you talking about the one in this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15424

That's the one, right here.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby nothaz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:17 pm

Redisculous wrote:
nothaz wrote:Both my brother and a friend we play with have a putting stance that causes them to step about three feet forward on their putts. I called them both on it today and both got real mad and stuff. My brother started taking a few steps back but was still stepping forward. The thing is they are both interested in tournaments and I would assume this is against the rules even if they were taking steps back. You have to throw from 30 centimeters behind your disc so they would be breaking two rules, right?

Walking past your lie is only legal outside of the circle, and of course you still have to release it with all suppoerting points behind the marker. You can do a walk up to your lie as long as it doesn't make you step past your lie (inside the circle) and you release within 30 cm behind your lie.

Yeah he throws an illegal putt. :(
chronicatm(DGCR FORUMS) wrote:the only person that deserves to be hit with a disc is frank delicious imo

Frank Delicious wrote:Welcome brother bear.
You feel generous to your enemies and handicap your deadly claws. You are now Evander Bearifield
nothaz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Soft Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion