XL why was i not told before!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby mickas » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:09 am

excellent this thread got bumped back up, I've been using the same domey 168 orange xl for about 7 months now and it is truly a beauty in flight. Throw it flat and soft and it will turn over slightly just to come back a little at the end, it's like a fairway driver comet. I can also power it out for a huge sweeping anhyzer.
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Madison Wi.
Favorite Disc: Magnet

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby discspeed » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:29 am

Man_Utenbart wrote:I just got two Z XL's from DD in the mail to day. It's too much snow here at the moment and they're also white, so can't throw them yet :/ I had an older one before (belive it was from around '04) with a slightly, slightly dome, but these are the new run and are very flat, so I'm wondering if anyone could explain to me if there would be som differences flight wise, if there is one? Also, would a XL be a gould compliment to Teebirds (Dx's and some nice old KC's?).

Thanks.


Flat XLs will have more a Buzzzish flight. They will be a bit faster and fly better lower. They will probably fade a bit more as well. They will also be good for hyzer flips. They will not go as far as domey ones on a high line though.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby Risk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:52 am

discspeed wrote:
Man_Utenbart wrote:I just got two Z XL's from DD in the mail to day. It's too much snow here at the moment and they're also white, so can't throw them yet :/ I had an older one before (belive it was from around '04) with a slightly, slightly dome, but these are the new run and are very flat, so I'm wondering if anyone could explain to me if there would be som differences flight wise, if there is one? Also, would a XL be a gould compliment to Teebirds (Dx's and some nice old KC's?).

Thanks.


Flat XLs will have more a Buzzzish flight. They will be a bit faster and fly better lower. They will probably fade a bit more as well. They will also be good for hyzer flips. They will not go as far as domey ones on a high line though.


I concur it's great for hyzer flips and tunnel shots just like a Buzzz but longer and less fade at the end. It's does get a little squirrelly on windy days for me but that could be a form thing. Also I haven't tried a Stalker yet because I haven't really felt the need w/ a Z XL in my bag.
Force - Z Nuke - Predator - Stalker - Buzzz - Fuse -Zone - Focus
Risk
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:57 am
Location: Chicago's Western Burbs
Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby SkaBob » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Risk wrote:It's does get a little squirrelly on windy days


That's an XL thing. Your form may need work, but you can expect that even when your form is good.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3493
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:51 am
Location: Detroit
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby homebrew » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Risk wrote: Also I haven't tried a Stalker yet because I haven't really felt the need w/ a Z XL in my bag.


To me, they fly very similar.
homebrew
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Lafayette, IN
Favorite Disc: XL

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby SkaBob » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:34 pm

The stalker has significantly more HSS, but they both have similar LSS
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3493
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:51 am
Location: Detroit
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby what'shisname » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 pm

SkaBob wrote:
Risk wrote:It's does get a little squirrelly on windy days


That's an XL thing. Your form may need work, but you can expect that even when your form is good.


That was my only complaint with the XL's and it's why I've been throwing JLS's in their place lately. The JLS seems pretty similar but it holds up nicer in the wind from what I can tell.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:34 am
Location: Calgary
Favorite Disc: PD

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby pg043 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:10 am

It's odd to me that the stalker is rated 1.1 and the XL is rated 1.2, as the XL is much less HSS than the stalker. They are capable of being thrown on the same line, but I have to throw a Stalker FLAT--with almost no hyzer--to get it to go dead straight. The XL is the kind of disc that i'm always releasing with a fairly stiff hyzer angle, unless I'm throwing a big turnover shot. IMO, the XL is built for holding a turnover and that's what I use it for.
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:07 pm
Location: High Country, CO
Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby sunspot » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:26 am

I threw a D-XL a few years ago and found it to be too flippy. I ended up giving it to my brother. I've recently revisited the XL and had some success with it (in X plastic). I had several good shots with the it the other day during rounds with an ace run on a tight uphill shot. It definitely fits the finesse-fairway role. On a side note, the Avenger is a good complement to the XL.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:30 am
Location: Louisville, KY
Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby himynameismatt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:11 am

Tried the Stalker, XL, and Cyclone all in my bag for a bit this year as you can see below none of them stuck.

XL's were ok. But need a lot of room to turn, flex, and fade for distance. The Stalkers are glideless and not much longer than my Buzzz(testament to the Buzzz?). The Cyclone was much too slow and I found them to be inconsistent.

To borrow from Southpark, having to pick a Discraft Fairway is like having to pick between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwhich. Their Mid, Putter and Max D lineups rival anybodies but their Fairway drivers simply aren't in the same class as discs like the Teebird, Eagle or even Gazelle.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:40 am
Location: Portland, OR
Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby discspeed » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:22 am

Yeah, XLs were designed for a now extinct plastic (TP). They still work good in X, but are pretty glideless in the other plastics, especially at low to medium speeds (some flippy/domey ESP/X hybrids do exist with some glide).

I like Lat64's take on this type of disc (River). It is essentially an XL with glide like the original distance record breaking variety, only in premium plastic.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby keltik » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:09 pm

well I put the XL back in my bag for a bit this year and it just didn't perform like I remembered. I still mainly use Elite Pros (they were always in the used bin at the north Raleigh PIAS). X's are okay and the Z's I have are older (ghost stamp and used) and can be weird. I'm thinking about snagging a couple of newer Z's but now I'm not sure. I've been using a Z XS lately with good results. I like others am a bit perplexed at DC's "fairway" lineup. I guess they just couldn't get things right and decided to drop a bunch of molds. I think the XL is really good for guys developing their form and distance. but after that it just doesn't hold up to other molds. the only part I hate is that I'm heavily vested in the damn things (damn PIAS used bins). I can say the same things for the Cyclone.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby sunspot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:21 pm

keltik wrote:well I put the XL back in my bag for a bit this year and it just didn't perform like I remembered. I still mainly use Elite Pros (they were always in the used bin at the north Raleigh PIAS). X's are okay and the Z's I have are older (ghost stamp and used) and can be weird. I'm thinking about snagging a couple of newer Z's but now I'm not sure. I've been using a Z XS lately with good results. I like others am a bit perplexed at DC's "fairway" lineup. I guess they just couldn't get things right and decided to drop a bunch of molds. I think the XL is really good for guys developing their form and distance. but after that it just doesn't hold up to other molds. the only part I hate is that I'm heavily vested in the damn things (damn PIAS used bins). I can say the same things for the Cyclone.


Do yourself and get a newer Z. I like them.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:30 am
Location: Louisville, KY
Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby andrew » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Reviving this thread right where it left off- what's the difference between older Z and newer Z, specifically pertaining to XLs? Also, how would a Z XL (old and/or new) compare to a Champion Teebird?
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:47 pm
Favorite Disc: PPD

Re: XL why was i not told before!

Postby keltik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:14 pm

I broke down late last year and bought a current run z xl. It flies like the older ones. It goes to the right on anything more than 65% power. It's not a hard flip it's just a big turnover. I still think it's a good disc, especially if you play in the woods. It just doesn't jive with my bg right now. The leopard just does it better for me for the moment. I still have a small stack of xl's just in case.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests