Possible DG Tournament in Kirksville, MO to raise $ to adopt

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Possible DG Tournament in Kirksville, MO to raise $ to adopt

Postby Donald Smith » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:49 am

Hi,

My wife and I are in the process of adopting another girl from Ethiopia. I know Haiti is in the news right now, and 380,000 orphans in Haiti sounds like a lot, and you're problably wondering why we don't adopt from there. Well, Ethiopia has over 5,000,000 orphans. Anyway the last one we adopted cost $27,000. We researched and found some adoption agencies that the total cost will be closer to $20,000. I've got about half of that. I suppose I could forget about adopting, and use the money to put in a 18 hole disc golf course on my land, and charge people to come play...LOL NAH! I live too far out in the middle of no where, with the deer and turkeys.

Anyway, my wife and I are thinking of different fund raisers. Would any of you be interested in coming to Kirksville, Missouri and playing in a tournament to raise money for an adoption? I'm thinking an entrance fee of $10.00 / person. I have no idea what the normal fee is. Maybe $20.00 would be better, then a percentage of the entrance fee would be divided up between the top three players. Kirksville only has a 9 hole course, so you would have to play it twice.

I might be able to switch the tournament to Fulton (has a new 18 hole DG course that is nice) or maybe get permission to play at one of the courses in Columbia. I've no idea what it will cost for advertising or use of the course, if there is a fee since these are public courses.

Any ideas or suggestion, thoughts, comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Donald
Longest Putt 69 feet
Longest Drive 310 feet
Average Drive 250 feet
Courses played 6
Age 52
Started playing DG in July 2009
Donald Smith
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Possible DG Tournament in Kirksville, MO to raise $ to adopt

Postby inthedrift » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:02 pm

I'd sure come and play a benefit tourney if I could - that's a little far for me to travel right now though. :D I'd say you could charge at least $20 for your entrance fee if not more. Good luck - the world needs more people like you and your wife! :D
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Timko » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:26 pm

I would suggest, once you come up with a format, to post it at http://kcfdc.org/forum. That's the Kansas City club, which has a lot of active members, and may generate some more buzz for your event.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Donald Smith » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks for your words of encouragement! I'll be sure to post something on the KC sight to see if anyone would drive the 3 hours to come play.

Inthedrift,

You could ride a bicycle down if I planned it late enough in the year. In 1982, a friend of mine, Dirk Greely left Stillwater, Oklahoma to go back home to Anchorage, AK. It only took him 149 days on his 10 speed converted to a 21 speed bike. I lost touch with him in 1989, so I don't know where he is now. Last I heard he was getting married to a woman named Alison. The last letter I mailed him came back. I've searched the internet for him, but no hits. I did find an Alison Greely in Washington State, but I've never gotten around to calling her to see if she is the same one he married. Dirk was a pilot / mechanic, and one super nice person.

Donald
Longest Putt 69 feet
Longest Drive 310 feet
Average Drive 250 feet
Courses played 6
Age 52
Donald Smith
Noob

Postby Keokuk Discer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:58 pm

I live in Keokuk, IA and I'd be interested in playing, though I don't know if I could make it all the way to Fulton. If you live in Kirksville, then there is an 18 hole course in Moberly's Rothwell Park and one in Mexico's Northeast Park that might be a little closer to you than Columbia.

As far as fees for a public park, usually you have to reserve one of their shelters for the day and you may have to reserve the course as well. You can call the City Hall of the town you want o have the tournament in to get the fee information.
Keokuk Discer
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby Donald Smith » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:51 am

Keokuk Discer,

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to call around and get prices, and go from there. Moberly might be a good course to play. I know they had a tournament there last summer.

Donald
Longest Putt 69 feet
Longest Drive 310 feet
Average Drive 250 feet
Courses played 6
Age 52
Donald Smith
Noob

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:08 am

How far away is Ottumwa? There is an 18 hole course there. That would put you closer to the Des Monies and Moline/Davenport groups who are very active and might support the effort.

All I remember was the news on TV was "Kirksville/Ottumwa" when I was going to NMSU.

At any rate if you stay in Missouri hit up St. Louis: http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/forum/
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Donald Smith » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:17 am

Working Stiff,

Ottumwa is about 90 minutes from Kirksville, and I live 30 minutes South of Kirksville., so about 2 hours one way for me. I've seen the charts for the number of DG courses, and Iowa is way a head of Missouri.

Moberly is 50 minutes South and they've put in a 18 hole course. Hannable has an 18, across the river is Quincy IL, and it has an 18, an Palmyra put in an 18, so, they are 90 minutes away. Finding an 18 hole course isn't a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Donald
Longest Putt 69 feet
Longest Drive 310 feet
Average Drive 250 feet
Courses played 6
Age 52
Donald Smith
Noob

Postby Keokuk Discer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:00 pm

Donald Smith wrote:Working Stiff,

Ottumwa is about 90 minutes from Kirksville, and I live 30 minutes South of Kirksville., so about 2 hours one way for me. I've seen the charts for the number of DG courses, and Iowa is way a head of Missouri.

Moberly is 50 minutes South and they've put in a 18 hole course. Hannable has an 18, across the river is Quincy IL, and it has an 18, an Palmyra put in an 18, so, they are 90 minutes away. Finding an 18 hole course isn't a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Donald

That would put you in the Atlanta/Macon area. My family lived there (both in Macon and Atlanta, my brother still lives in Macon) and if I remember correctly Moberly is close. I'd go there for the tournament.
Keokuk Discer
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Return to Tournaments