best disc for developing technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

best disc for developing technique

Postby eg37167 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:37 am

I am new to d.g. I got a few discs for my birthday after expressing some interest. Not at all the athletic type. So I have gone to the local course twice now and realize I need to develop consistent technique. What is the best disc to help me do this?

Here are the discs I have right now:
Discraft APX putter
Discraft Wasp Pro-D
Innova Beast (bottom of the line)

I tend to throw mostly backhand and get a lot of floaters that go high and fade right. Reading online I think this is all technique. Any help or advice to help me improve is greatly appreciated...
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:05 pm

if they go high and fade right i take it you are left-handed?

out of the discs you have, the wasp is probably the best one to develop technique, but it will probably finish with a hard fade until it is broken in quite a bit.

the DX beast is really too fast and overstable for newer players and the APX isn't a stable enough disc to really throw far.

i have an article on disc selection at: http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... disc.shtml

the discs i generally point beginners to as good multi-purpose discs... the discraft elite x comet, millennium aurora ms, innova dx shark, innova dx panther, discraft pro d buzz.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby JacksWeather » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:44 pm

What is the best disc to use for learning technique for an intermediate or advanced player? Putters don't fly well unless you get rid of the torque, but they don't require nose down as much as drivers. I'm wondering whats a good disc to throw close to levelish, slight hyzer, that when thrown with 350ftish of power will flip too much if torqued and not get there if nose up? Please mention if your talking about the disc bran new, very beat, slightly broken in, or optimally broken in.
Today seems like a good day to toss a disc or two.
The one for hyzer-flipping, turning over right on que.
I try to throw just like that, but sometimes I really suck.
Some say I need to get the axing, chalk it up to bad luck.
JacksWeather
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:31 am

JacksWeather wrote:What is the best disc to use for learning technique for an intermediate or advanced player? Putters don't fly well unless you get rid of the torque

you answered your own question here. i assume intermediate/advanced guys generally have 300+ power already, the weaknesses they have are generally in the shots they are able to throw, consistency, and touch/finesse.

if people worked their way up to discs via the tiers i recommend in the disc selection article on the main site, this is less of a problem.

most slower drivers will mask technique flaws much less, especially in terms of their distance. to throw a cheetah 400', you need a clean release, lots of height, and good nose down. most people simply write off a disc like that since it doesn't have the capacity to fly 400' 10' high off the ground in favor of faster discs. throwing a disc like a gazelle or cyclone a consistent 360' takes a lot better form than throwing a flash or orc an occasional 400'.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby kling » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:57 pm

I'm a big fan of driving Aviar-x's. They just fly so nicely :)
Is it good throwing putters to exercise good form or are they too forgiving on the nose down as JacksWeather wrote?
kling
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:10 pm

kling wrote:I'm a big fan of driving Aviar-x's. They just fly so nicely :)
Is it good throwing putters to exercise good form or are they too forgiving on the nose down as JacksWeather wrote?

Yeah, i was using an aviar x for driving. I switched over to wizards though.

Blake has some very good advice. The beast is probably not a good starting disc. APX is a good putter. The wasp is very overstable. Perhaps, something less stable would work. I still like D cyclones for starter discs. My first midrange was an xd.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jones » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:18 pm

I've found a big help in reducing off-axis torque is to only play with slower discs for a few weeks, or as long as it takes, starting with a putter and moving your way up to faster discs. You may look strange on the course but it does pay off in the end. This also gives you confidence on your potential distance of your slower discs.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Smyith » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:01 pm

try using a regular frisbee. my brother and me grew up throwing frisbee with my dad (still throws shots i have nvr seen anybody able to do). but a regular frisbee is very unforgiving when you put inapporipate power or form into the shot. if you can throw a frisbee straight and far you'll soon find your game vastly improved. its also a great way to warm up before a round.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:34 pm

the transition from a fisbee to a golf disc can be tough to make. I think leapords are the best begginer driver, and dx tee birds and d cyclones are the best drivers for building technique.

I would say that throwing a light weight neutral putter such as a discraft putt'r will show you alot about your form.
Or a putter that is good for driving such as a wizard, avair-x, banger gt or even a challenger, these putters will show you almost as much about your form as a neutral putter, but you can put more power behind them with good results.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:20 am

If you want a disc to show progress of technique, use a 170 DX TeeBird, optimally beat, but a new one would do i guess. release with hyzer, flip to flat and if you can get it to 400+ without having it turn over at all, you have decent form, producing enough snap and nose down. I'm guessing most men, could generate enough snap to get a disc to 400+, it's getting the technique to do so that is the kicker.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kling » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:53 pm

That's good stuff thanks all. :) I'm really considering throwing just putters for a couple of weeks or so. Back to the basics :)
kling
Noob

Return to Technique