Xcaliber differences in runs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Xcaliber differences in runs

Postby Jimmy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:44 pm

What, if any, are the main differences in runs of Star Xcalibers? I've noticed 1st run star stamps in both regular plastic and Echo Star plastic. How are they different? Does the same go for the Echo's? What about the 1st run Champs?

Fritz wrote:Play with Jimmy, he is cool as hell!

Aviars / Rocs / Whippets / Gators / Leopards / TLs / Teebirds / Eagle-X's / Firebirds

My Trade/Sale list:
Jimmy's Trade/Sale List
Jimmy
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Xcaliber differences in runs

Postby JR » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:48 pm

The first non first run stars were all over the place in PLH. Champs are consistently overstable.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pg043 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 pm

I think the Xcal is one of the most consistent molds INNova produces. I have 6-8 stars, some 1st runs, some reg production. With the exception of one freakishly overstable one, they all fly identically for me.
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:10 pm

pg043 wrote:I think the Xcal is one of the most consistent molds INNova produces. I have 6-8 stars, some 1st runs, some reg production. With the exception of one freakishly overstable one, they all fly identically for me.

I wouldn't call anything with a wide rim that innova makes "consistent". X cals like the rest of these discs can be all over the map. Look for the domey ones if you want them really overstable.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Pwingles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:54 pm

I had a first run echo max wt, and it was almost as overstable as my max wt E Spirit, I have a 172 star that is perfect, and a max wt champ that is breaking in nicely. In my experience they are decent discs, not even sure why they bother to make the max or trex anymore although the champ rex-x and the champ max are wind fighting monsters, overall those molds are inferior to the xcal imo
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:15 am

My first XCal was a 150 R-Pro. At the time I thought the XCal was too stable of a mold for me, but that the light grippy one might work for me. I liked it until I turned it too much and lost it in the creek. So I wanted a more overstable XCal that I would not accidentally turn. So I recently got a 175g Glow Champ XCal, thinking it would be crazy overstable. It ended up flying closer to stable than to overstable for me, kind of closer to a longer version of my 175g Star SL. Are the Glow Champ discs generally less stable than regular Champ versions? My Glow XCal is not what I'd describe as domey, so maybe thats it. I also got a 175g Test Glow Champ Destroyer that is nice and domey, that I haven't gotten to throw yet. Maybe that one will be overstable enough. Should I even look at the Max to fit the bill?
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby twmccoy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:33 pm

To me the teerex was a total loss of a disc. Pretty much like a wraith but less glide. The max is great for headwind drives. The Xcal is a bit less stable than the max and longer.

I've never thrown a crappier mold than the teerex though, except maybe the quarter K.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Parks » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:47 am

Depending on which TeeRex you are talking about, it could be complete poop, or complete awesome.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Unity » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:24 am

So...the difference between the Star and Echo Star Xcaliber...

If I was to purchase one today (so probably not one of the first ones), I would expect more glide but less stability, or is it more of a wash between the two kinds of star?
[Ion] [Zone] [Fuse] [Buzzz] [XXX] [PD] [Destroyer]
Unity
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Trey133 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 am

The gummier echo star xcals are consistently less stable than the stiff domey stars.

They can be popped to flat on a hyzer release.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby CatPredator » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 am

Looking for a freakishly overstable driver, I picked up a super high PLH 175g Yellow Star Xcal and holy crap is it ridiculous. Profile looks almost flat-top-Firebird-esque and flies pretty similarly. There were a bunch of these suckers on the shelf at the store. Anybody else seen these lately? It was just the yellow ones. Crazy overstable and fast.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby keltik » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:16 am

does anyone still throw the xcal or teewrecks? might as well add to the necrobump. CP have you tried the xXx? or are you wanting a long range OS disc? you might want to try an opto Villain.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby CatPredator » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:02 am

I don't normally throw Xcals but I had to buy one of these. The difference in PLH between the freaks and the norms was so damn large it piqued my curiosity to the point where I couldn't resist.

I'm satisfied with my bag for now, but thanks for the suggestions. The Xcal is just a toy!
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:34 pm

I threw Xcals on and off in windy situations until I found S/DS destroyers.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Return to Equipment