Harrisburg PA?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Harrisburg PA?

Postby Jsw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:45 pm

Going to be up there for work all next week. Can anybody suggest some near-by courses? I would search myself but DGCR is not working for me right now :(
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Re: Harrisburg PA?

Postby Monocacy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:36 pm

I have no direct experience with these, but Pinchot State Park (within 15 miles of Harrisburg) features two 18-hole courses. Quaker’s Challenge sounds like the more, um, challenging of the two.

Gifford Pinchot State Park:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/ ... nchot.aspx
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Pinchot does have 2 courses. Boulder woods is sorta Druid-esque; all but 2 holes maybe are reachable from the tee, but there's way more trees and (duh) boulders. Quaker's is a shorter Patapsco with more elevation.

Also in Camp Hill, very close to I-81, is Creekside. Short, semi technical with a couple driver holes. Definitely bring some water discs, 90% of the holes present the possibility of going swimming.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:21 pm

I forgot, Shaeffer Park in Carlisle might be an option depending on where exactly you'll be. I haven't played this one ye, but it's 9 holes, wooded and supposedly pretty challenging (read: tight fairways).

If you've got a lot of time and looking to travel even further South, Wilson College in Chambersburg is a 9 holer that's good for putter/midrange practice. The real draw here is that the course plays around the front lawn of an all girls college, and 2 minutes from Roy Pitz Brewery and Norland Pub. Great local brew and damn fine wings.

*edit for typo
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jaysus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:25 am

There are 3 or 4 other courses in the Harrisburg area as well... though Creekside and Pinchot are the main ones.

You can hook up with either of the clubs as a guest for some league rounds if you want. Tuesday evenings @ Boulder Woods, Thursday evenings @ Creekside, and Friday afternoons @ Creekside. There is also league play at 10 on weekends at both courses (creekside on Saturday, Quakers Challenge on Sunday).
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:56 pm

Jaysus wrote:There are 3 or 4 other courses in the Harrisburg area as well...

Do tell.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jaysus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:06 am

ferretdance03 wrote:
Jaysus wrote:There are 3 or 4 other courses in the Harrisburg area as well...

Do tell.

Willow Mill in Mechanisburg is a fun little 9 holer on the same creek as Creekside (we've done a floater between the two courses the last 2 years). Great concrete tees and signs here - I think it is a Don Dillon course.

Messiah Village has a very short course that I have never been too, but plan on taking my daughter too once she is a bit older. Don Dillon is responsible for this one too.

Elizabethtown College
has a course, I am not really positive where that is, but I know it is in the general Harrisburg area.

A private course called Hobo Woods - that place is bananas (all homemade baskets)

The Lumberjacks are building a course near Hershey - no ETA at the moment.

And finally Red Land High School has a long ass, generally wide open, 18 hole course that is just off of I-83 between Harrisburg and Pinchot State Park. They have the worst tee boxes I've ever seen, but I am not complaining because....

The Red Land course is about a mile from my house, which is awesome for me in the summer as I can sneak in a bunch of holes after I put my daughter to bed.

But yeah, Creekside and Pinchot are the main courses in the area - The Creekside Chiller is this Saturday if the OP is in town for the blizzard.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jsw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Heading up today before the snow REALLY sets in. :shock:

With all this snow sitting on the ground and more on its way later this week, Disc Golf is probably out of the question. Anybody got any suggestions on a good place to grab a beer in the downtown Harrisburg area? 8)
Jsw

Postby Jaysus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Jsw wrote:Heading up today before the snow REALLY sets in. :shock:

With all this snow sitting on the ground and more on its way later this week, Disc Golf is probably out of the question. Anybody got any suggestions on a good place to grab a beer in the downtown Harrisburg area? 8)

it will be real easy for you to find a nice place to drink on 2nd street. McGrath's is my favorite in the immediate downtown area.

P.S. Come to the Creekside Ice Bowl tomorrow.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jsw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Jaysus wrote:
Jsw wrote:Heading up today before the snow REALLY sets in. :shock:

it will be real easy for you to find a nice place to drink on 2nd street. McGrath's is my favorite in the immediate downtown area.

P.S. Come to the Creekside Ice Bowl tomorrow.

I have to work all day :x :x
Jsw

Return to Courses