Total Gym Strength Training - Share your routines

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Total Gym Strength Training - Share your routines

Postby Blake_T » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:07 am

the Hip & Thigh Extension #16 in the TG manual linked above is probably the best core strength exercise i have found so far. works the lower back, pelvic floor, gluts, hamstrings, and lower abs.

for efficiency, some of the exercises that involve torso rotation should help strengthen multiple areas, including your mid/upper back.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:06 am

finally got my new attachments and set up my new routines for the week:

Saturday:
Seated Curls #13 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
Seated Bench Press #11 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 15-25 reps (low weight ST).
Tricep Extension #14 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-22 (ST).
Lying Triceps (totalgymdirect.com) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-20 (ST).
Butterfly #3 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 15-25 reps (low weight ST).
Groin Stretch #35 - 5 reps, hold each position for 10-15 seconds
Stretcher #7 - 5 reps, hold each position for 10-15 seconds.

Sunday:
Reverse Butterfly (Rear Deltoid Raises) #21 - 3 sets of 10-12 (FT Days), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST Days).
Shoulder extension (totalgymdirect.com) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 15-22 (ST)
Front Deltoid Raises #19 - 3 sets of 10-12 (FT), 2 sets of 15-20 (ST).
Seated Row #4 - 2 sets of 25, range of motion reduced to isolate muscles
between the shoulder blades.
Iron Cross (add'l exercises) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST).
Side Deltoid Raises #20 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 15-25 reps (low weight ST).

Monday:
Hip & Thigh Extension #16 - 3 sets of 12-25 reps.
Squat #5 - 2 sets 20-30 reps.
Twister #15 - 3 sets of 12-15 each side (FT), 3 sets of 20-25 (ST) each side.
Leg Pull #1 - 2 sets of 15-20 reps.
Hamstring Pull #28 - 2 sets of 15-25 reps each leg.
Inner Thigh Pull #29 - 2 sets of 15-25 reps each leg.
Ab Crunch (w/ Ab Crunch bars) - 2 sets of 15-25 reps.

Tuesday: Off

Wednesday:
Front Press #18 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST).
Pull Up #17 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST).
Tennis Backhand #33 - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST) each arm.
Dips (w/ dip bars) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST).
Lateral Chest Fly (TGD.com) - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 18-25 (ST) each arm.
Side Deltoid Raises #20 - - 3 sets of 10-12 reps (FT), 2 sets of 15-25 reps (low weight ST).
alternate: Reverse Fly with Rotation (TGD.com) instead of Tennis Backhand.

Thursday:
Hip & Thigh Extension #16 - 3 sets of 12-25 reps.
Squat #5 - 2 sets 20-30 reps.
Twister #15 - 3 sets of 12-15 each side (FT), 3 sets of 20-25 (ST) each side.
Leg Pull #1 - 2 sets of 15-20 reps.
Hamstring Pull #28 - 2 sets of 15-25 reps each leg.
Inner Thigh Pull #29 - 2 sets of 15-25 reps each leg.
Ab Crunch (w/ Ab Crunch bars) - 2 sets of 15-25 reps.

Friday: Off
Blake_T

Postby EKG » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:06 pm

I got up to 192 lbs at the end of December. Which was the heaviest I've ever been in my life. My mom had an XLS sitting in her laundry room collecting dust. She doesn't really have room for it so she let me "borrow" it.

What an awesome piece of equipment. The first day I got it I went too hard and strained a neck muscle but I let it heal and started a real routine.

The combination of dropping the huge amounts carbs that I used to eat, a better diet in general, and the TG routine, and a I've dropped 11 lbs in 10 days.

I've had a gym membership for years and never really had the motivation to get in my car and go work out. My girlfriend says the gym stinks (it really does, people are gross) and it was hard to get her to go with me. Not a problem at all anymore. Both of us actually look forward to getting home and doing our routines. It's a very relaxing workout, if that makes any sense. I cancelled my gym membership this week.

Next week I'm going to try your routine Blake. I don't have all of the accessories but I'll make do.

Whenever the "lease" is up with my mom, I'm going to buy my own.

Here is to finding your inner Chuck Norris!

...or Christy Brinkley.
EKG
Noob

Postby mark12b » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:55 am

Blake_T wrote:the Hip & Thigh Extension #16 in the TG manual linked above is probably the best core strength exercise i have found so far. works the lower back, pelvic floor, gluts, hamstrings, and lower abs.

so, i was doing bunches of these and not feeling like i was getting much. then i tried this version, which is from the toes instead of the knees -- wow, *that's* a workout. 10-15 reps from the toes vs. 40+ from the knees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxkcozOydI
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:24 am

i sprained my right thumb about a month ago and it's still bugging me so i haven't been able to do much in terms of working out lately :( i don't think i'll have to start from scratch, but i'll definitely be easing my way back in once my thumb stops hurting (i hyper extended it... it got bent straight back and almost touched my forearm in a quick jarring motion).

EKG: cool, glad to hear you're getting good results. TG's have a good initial burst with a fairly quick plateau that requires a bit of creativity to keep progress going but overall, they're probably the easiest machine i've ever worked with. i know what you're saying about gym stank. one big plus i had with the TG was when i had mine set up all the time... i'd roll out of bed, slam a glass of water and start working out right away in the morning... it was a good kick start.

so, i was doing bunches of these and not feeling like i was getting much. then i tried this version, which is from the toes instead of the knees -- wow, *that's* a workout. 10-15 reps from the toes vs. 40+ from the knees.

yah, i'll bet that one hits things faster. i still was using the knee method but doing it more as a cardio exercise (40-60 at a fast pace) but i doubt i could do the same type of workout that way (although i use the crunch bars with the toes that way instead of the knees). i'm sure doing the extensions with the toes works specific muscles harder and i'll have to try it that way once my thumb heals up to where i can do a push up without it hurting :P
Blake_T

Postby EKG » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 pm

Blake, I see what you mean about having to get creative with it after a while. I've been trying to avoid raising the height to 6 but I just can't anymore. I use 6 for chest and bicep curls now but I'm slowly having to increase the height for all of the exercises. There are only a couple exercises I do at 3 now and the rest are all 4 and 5. That's a good thing but I'm going to have to figure out a better way to isolate muscles or start adding weight to the sled.

I did get my mom to track down the rest of the attachments though. So that was cool.

My routine (I don't have the index cards with the exercise numbers on me right now):

I always start and finish every workout with abs. I’ll set it to 3 and use the pull up bar to lock my feet in. 1 set of 30 crunches, 1 set of 40 sprinter sit ups, last set of 30 crunches.

I run 3 miles at 7mph on a low impact treadmill everyday.

Monday:

Bench Press - 3 sets of 12
Butterfly - 3 sets of 10, 1 set middle, 1 set low, 1 set high
Incline Pushup - 3 sets of 15

Pull-Ups – 3 sets of 15
Straight Cable Row - 3 sets of 15
Lat Pull Downs – 3 sets of 10
Reverse Butterfly – 3 sets of 10

Shoulder Press (Military Press) – 3 sets of 15 (1 set middle, 1 set wide, 1 set skinny)
Cross Cable Raises – 3 sets of 10
Front Raises – 3 sets of 10

Tuesday:

Individual Bicep Curls – 3 sets of 10 (each arm)
Tricep Extension (laying down) – 3 sets of 10
Forearm Curls – 3 sets of 12
Tricep Extension (sideways) – 3 sets of 10

One Leg Squats – 3 sets of 20 each leg
Hamstring Pulls – 3 sets of 10 each leg
Sprinter Start (works you butt) – 3 sets of 10 each leg
Calf Raises – 3 sets of 15 each leg

I choose 2 of the compound exercises to do. 1 of them is always the lower abs/pushup position/leg extension thing. THAT hurts like hell. Try adding a pushup to it after the extension. Wow is that painful.

Wednesday: Same as Monday
Thursday: Same as Tuesday
Friday: Same as Monday/Wednesday except for tournament weekends, I drop it down 1 notch on all exercises and do higher rep counts.

Saturday and Sunday: Off

It takes me about two hours per day to do these workouts and its going to get more intense from here on out.
EKG
Noob

Previous

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury