Need A Shoe Recommendation

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Need A Shoe Recommendation

Postby dstain19 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:23 am

I apologize as I know that there was a thread on this at some point, but I can't find it without the search working. Here is what I am looking for.

Birthday coming up and I would like a nice pair of durable shoes as the courses near me are rocky and rough on shoes. Would like them to be waterproof, but not a necessity. Looking to spend in the $50 - $75 range as opposed to $100 plus.

Right now a leading candidate is the Nike Rongbuk. $65 shipped on Zappos seems like a decent deal. Only thing is they do not appear to be waterproof.

Please share your experience with shoes and give me a suggestion in that price range.

Thanks in advance!
dstain19
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: beast

Re: Need A Shoe Recommendation

Postby Eric O » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:50 am

Durable and waterproof as well as being supportive? That's usually going to retail at a little over $100. I suggest checking these two sites for some bargains in your price range. There should be several worthy and affordable options on both. Most trail running models with goretex and aggressive tread work great for disc golf.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com

Well regarded brands that come immediately to mind include TNF, Salomon, Montrail, Keen, and Merrell. Disc golf is rough on shoes, so whatever you end up with, don't expect them to last forever. Nothing like a new pair of shoes to make a round of golf feel good.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:04 pm

Also, waterproofing isn't always worth the price. I have a pair of Salomons that have Gore Tex, they're great all around discing shoes, but don't do a whole hell of a lot to keep my feet dry after half an hour or so of kicking through wet grass. This past weekend, I played golf on Saturday in dampish conditions, my feet eventually got wet. Went to play again on Sunday, and my shoes were still wet, so I grabbed my old blown out pair of Salomons with no waterproofing, and big ass holes in them. I wore a pair of Seal Skins though, and my feet stayed dry all day, even though I was kicking through relatively tall wet grass for 2 slow rounds.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:09 pm

In the past, I have purchased a new pair of Gore-tex shoes every 2 years for dg. This year, I decided to go the route of buying a good trail running shoes (Adidas Response Trail 16) and if the conditions require it, use my Seal skinz. I bought a pair of shoes and a pair of seal skinz for a little over $70. So far the Adidas have had no problems keeping up. Great grip and very comfortable.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Greatzky » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:14 am

i know a lot of people complain about them, but I haven't had any problem with the low top or high top Bite disc golf shoes... and they are on sale at gottagogottathrow.com

the treads on my lowtops are fading out quicker than I would like, but I was also wearing them to work everyday for a few months. other than that I like them.

just a suggestion... I didn't read your entire post so i'm not sure if there were other requirements you needed in a shoe.
-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf Apparel
http://hyzerflip.com
Greatzky
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear