New to the board?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: New to the board?

Postby JimW » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 pm

keoni wrote:ok technically I am still a noob, so I want your advice. Is reading the clan on the cave bear thread worth the 39 pages?

Absolutely. It's nearly as important to the DGR experience as reading the "Are midranges overrated?" thread.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:59 pm

keoni wrote:ok technically I am still a noob, so I want your advice. Is reading the clan on the cave bear thread worth the 39 pages?

You should read it in the same state I was in when I created it:

Drunk and bored.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Mason65 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:00 pm

JimW wrote:

Absolutely. It's nearly as important to the DGR experience as reading the "Are midranges overrated?" thread.

This is definitely worth your time.
Destroyer*XXX*Eagle*Roc*Ion

Golden Retrieved: 18
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby riverboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Yes you should read it. And the matt thread, and the tons of other awesome threads that tend to pop up here.
ChUcK wrote:Gateway doesn't use foil hotstamps. Dave Mac employs a neanderthal with a chisel and a loveless childhood.
riverboy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: CE eagle X

Postby AdamCaudle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:48 am

Hey everybody! I'm new!
AdamCaudle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby toothyfish » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:57 am

I'm new to this board, at least as far as joining, though searches have led me here to the articles and some of the videos.

My real name is Rob, been playing since July 09, though I played a couple rounds in '93 when the Viper held the distance record and a Stingray was an ultra long driver. Wish I still had those discs... :(

Currently living in northern NJ, own too many discs, and have adopted a bag of "old school" favorites like Rocs, Gazelles, Teebirds, and Eagles.

Great site! Tons of really helpful information...and I see alot of familiar usernames from DGCR.
VoodooBuzzzEagle XEagle LFirebirdPD
toothyfish
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby Woodpecker » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Hey, y’all!

Name’s Paul and, yeah, another one from Texas. I’ve been playing for about a year and half now. I’m 60 yrs. old and found this game way, way, way to late in my life. I’m semi-retired and get to play whenever I want (Please, don’t hate) which is about 4-6 days a week.

I’ve been lurking on this board for a couple of months now and finally took the plunge cuz there’s just not enough grief in my life and it looks like with this bunch of elitist snobs around here, I’ll get plenty. LOL

All kidding aside, I’ve been through the search for the “MAGIC” disc stage and have learned a lot about technique and form from the articles and videos on this site. It’s been a great help.

Thanks for having me,

Woodpecker
Woodpecker
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzz

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Woodpecker wrote:Hey, y’all!

Name’s Paul and, yeah, another one from Texas. I’ve been playing for about a year and half now. I’m 60 yrs. old and found this game way, way, way to late in my life. I’m semi-retired and get to play whenever I want (Please, don’t hate) which is about 4-6 days a week.

I’ve been lurking on this board for a couple of months now and finally took the plunge cuz there’s just not enough grief in my life and it looks like with this bunch of elitist snobs around here, I’ll get plenty. LOL

All kidding aside, I’ve been through the search for the “MAGIC” disc stage and have learned a lot about technique and form from the articles and videos on this site. It’s been a great help.

Thanks for having me,

Woodpecker

Welcome to DGR Paul, you may be the new senior member of DGR :wink:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Timko » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:24 pm

No, there's a 65 year old guy from Italy that just joined (sorry Paul).
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby SkaBob » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:25 pm

That's alright, we don't need some guy that gets to play whenever he wants getting a big head about being our wise elder or anything! :twisted:
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Hello Paul! I have just the right threads for you:

Rotator Cuff:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16406

Hernias:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15575

Just messing, welcome to the boards :wink:
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Woodpecker » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:51 pm

SkaBob wrote:That's alright, we don't need some guy that gets to play whenever he wants getting a big head about being our wise elder or anything! :twisted:

LOL.

Hey bud, as far as DG goes, I"m the youngster around here. Got a lot to learn.

Woodpecker< made it this far. Where's your garauntee?
Woodpecker
Noob

Postby Woodpecker » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Jeronimo wrote:Hello Paul! I have just the right threads for you:

Rotator Cuff:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16406

Hernias:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15575

Just messing, welcome to the boards :wink:

Now, that's funny!

Guess a little sport's history is in order. In my late twenties, I played a couple of years on the pro raquetball tour. Blew both knees out. At 35, they wanted to do a double knee replacement on me. I told them I was going out with the same equipment I came in with.

To quench my competive nature, I crawled to the underbelly of society into the subculture of the pool/billiard world. Spent three years as a road player, the next seventeen building, owning and managing pool rooms and the last ten years building the most successful regional 9 ball Tour in the nation which I retired from last September.

A year ago, August, I weighed over 220 and decided I didn't want to go through the latter years of my life as a fat tub of crap on wobbly knees. That's when some friends of mine introduced me to disc golf. It's been love ever since.

Now, I weigh 188 now and feel better than I have in 20 years.

Because of the knees and rotation problems, I developed my forehand first. Now, that the weight is down and my legs are stronger, I'm working on my backhand.

I know my days are over for competing in the upper divisions in any sport, but my goal is to go compete in the World's in the next two years in the "ol' fart" division.

Woodpecker
Woodpecker
Noob

Postby SkaBob » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Few discs will be as helpful and gentle for learning a backhand than a Comet!
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm

AdamCaudle wrote:Hey everybody! I'm new!

toothyfish wrote:I'm new to this board, at least as far as joining, though searches have led me here to the articles and some of the videos.

My real name is Rob, been playing since July 09, though I played a couple rounds in '93 when the Viper held the distance record and a Stingray was an ultra long driver. Wish I still had those discs... :(

Currently living in northern NJ, own too many discs, and have adopted a bag of "old school" favorites like Rocs, Gazelles, Teebirds, and Eagles.

Great site! Tons of really helpful information...and I see alot of familiar usernames from DGCR.

Welcome to both of you as well. I didn't want you guys to feel neglected thanks to paul :lol:
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion