When does a player qualify for "Masters?"

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

When does a player qualify for "Masters?"

Postby JHern » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Somebody today was telling me it was when a player turns 40. Is this true? If so, I can qualify for "Masters" in 3 years!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: When does a player qualify for "Masters?"

Postby Booter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:54 pm

on my pdga devisions paper. It says this

master- availabe to players who will be 40 yrs of age or older during the current year. Seasoned veterans who throw 300-400' consistently, make 6-8/10 putts from 25-30',have good shot variety.ratings guideline: 935+ and score range: <58
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby JHern » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:56 pm

booter wrote:on my pdga devisions paper. It says this

master- availabe to players who will be 40 yrs of age or older during the current year. Seasoned veterans who throw 300-400' consistently, make 6-8/10 putts from 25-30',have good shot variety.ratings guideline: 935+ and score range: <58

Thanks. Great, sounds like I'll be perfect for Masters by the time I turn 40. Watch out, older dudes!

Oh wait, crap, it'll mean I'm an older dude too, eh? :lol:
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby black udder » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 pm

The requirement is 40 years old (or older) in the year you are playing Masters.

the other stuff is a gauge to see if you should play there or another division (AMs, etc.). In our area there is a reasonable advanced master division - only about 10-20 players in the region, but if you play the circuit, you see them all at different places.

What you'll find in Masters is all the 40 year old Open players - think about it, Ken Climo is now Masters age. So what you get is guys that may or may not be able to throw far, but they have an ass load of tricks up their sleeves and a lot of consistency.

You'll also find guys that don't want to play open or want to play with guys their own age.

The 935+ rating isn't a joke either - Hysell plays in masters and he's closer to 970 or maybe a bit more by now.

Not sure what you score JHern, but if you're in AM now, I'd check out the Adv Masters as well.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JHern » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:24 pm

black udder wrote:The requirement is 40 years old (or older) in the year you are playing Masters.

the other stuff is a gauge to see if you should play there or another division (AMs, etc.). In our area there is a reasonable advanced master division - only about 10-20 players in the region, but if you play the circuit, you see them all at different places.

What you'll find in Masters is all the 40 year old Open players - think about it, Ken Climo is now Masters age. So what you get is guys that may or may not be able to throw far, but they have an ass load of tricks up their sleeves and a lot of consistency.

You'll also find guys that don't want to play open or want to play with guys their own age.

The 935+ rating isn't a joke either - Hysell plays in masters and he's closer to 970 or maybe a bit more by now.

Not sure what you score JHern, but if you're in AM now, I'd check out the Adv Masters as well.

I think I'd really enjoy playing in the Masters Division, probably a lot more fun and plus I'd also learn a ton about the game from the old school guys. I learned to play from mostly Masters and Grandmasters players in Vancouver, BC.

As for my rating, I have no idea what it is. I suppose I'd have to play in a tournament first, since courses do not have an SSA for non-tournament set-ups. Anyways, I'm not going to be putting down huge amounts of cash to enter a tournament just yet...I'll work my way up (maybe when I make enough playing doubles to cover the entry fee).
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby black udder » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:49 pm

I guess it depends on your income level/willingness to lose money. From what I've seen, for a sanctioned tournament, the difference between adv masters and masters can be twice the entrance fee - so $40 vs $20, etc. I know some of the guys that play in masters and I know that they'd have to play their worst and I'd have to play my best to get in the payout. Since I play with some of these guys in casual rounds and also get put in with their group in round 1 of a lot of tournaments, it's not like I never play with them, so for me, it's a waste of money to pay for masters. I'm rated around 920, but will also play down to 880 regularly. These guys play 970 and will play down to 940 but also up to 1,000 rated rounds.

I'll agree that it's a blast to play with a lot of them and you can learn a lot, the question is, during a tournament they're not really in tutorial mode, so it's largely whatever you can glean from watching. If you can get them in a casual/doubles round, then you can also ask a lot of questions, which can be really helpful.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby biscgolf » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:54 pm

around here it takes 950-960 golf to cash regularly in masters. this is actually trending upward as more good players age.
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:27 pm

biscgolf wrote:around here it takes 950-960 golf to cash regularly in masters. this is actually trending upward as more good players age.

you're talking about pro masters though right?
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Return to Rules Discussion