How much land?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How much land?

Postby Pat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:06 pm

do you need to design a course?

I have heard that you need about an acre a hole.

I know it all depends, but what is the average?
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Re: How much land?

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:40 pm

An acre a hole is the golf requirements, disc golf can get away with much less in my opinion. Like you said, it really depends on the land. You can fit more holes in the woods than in equivalent area of fields. It also depends on the terrain, flat land will require more room that hills and valleys.

An acre a hole is definitely a good jumping point, but not a requirement. My advice, take as much as you can get. Expansion is never a bad thing.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Timko » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:46 pm

We have 85 acres we're working with for 3 courses on big, open prarie land with some large trees.

I've also done work on a wooded course on 10 acres where we carved fairways out of woods. You can make any piece of land work. One of the things to keep in mind is that if you get a smaller piece of property, try to go for quality of quantity. If you can only create 9 solid holes, don't try to force 18 out of what you're given.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Aubin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:14 am

ferretdance03 wrote:An acre a hole is the golf requirements, disc golf can get away with much less in my opinion.

An acre is as wide as an American football field, but only 90 yards long (not 100 yards zone-to-zone). So, at 1 acre per ball golf hole, it's not gonna happen. Even if the fairway was half as wide you'd still top out at 180 yards max per hole.

1 acre per disc golf hole is about right, but always err on the larger side. It really depends on natural geography and boundaries, tree lines and ridges that let you put fairways closer together.

And Timko is right: don't 'force' 18 holes into a nice 9 hole course. Players will appreciate a well thought out 9 holer with room to breathe more than 18 mediocre cramped holes.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Courses