Captains of Crush

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Captains of Crush

Postby colombo117 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Has anyone tried these grip training devices?

http://ironmind-store.com/Trainer-Captains-of-Crush-Hand-Gripper/productinfo/1250/

I looking to improve grip strength and these look to be the best.
Worlds Strongest Man Approved! :lol:

Anyway, I was just wondering.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Re: Captains of Crush

Postby Redisculous » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Shell out the extra $20 and get a powerball instead.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby keltik » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Redisculous wrote:Shell out the extra $20 and get a powerball instead.

agreed
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby colombo117 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks guys.
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Redisculous » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:16 pm

The powerball is a much more complete workout for your hand/wrist/lower arm. It will strengthen your fingers, the backs of your hands, you really can't go wrong with one. There are a couple threads on this board about them (google advanced search ftw). One of our fellow dgr members sells them as well.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby black udder » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Somebody recommended this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Hand-Stre ... 67XHHOAOD2

Somebody also said they saw some good results from those hand squeezers from Walmart.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby colombo117 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:29 am

I have a cheap hand squeezer and I was thinking of upgrading to something more intense. Powerball may it.
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rehder » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:13 am

this and a powerball are two different things. A captains of crush strengthens your (gripping)muscles, which in my experience the powerball only does somewhat, its strengths lie elsewhere.

The #1 is pretty beefy, if you have a deskjob or the like.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Cisco » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:37 pm

In general there are three types of grip strength:
Crushing: This is the type of grip one normally thinks of. Shaking a hand, closing a gripper etc.
Pinching: Pinching strength is mainly reliant on the thumb. Imagine picking up a textbook by the binding, that’s a pinch grip.
Supporting grip: This is a “holding” type grip, as one demonstrates by holding a loaded barbell.

Training each of these aspects will lead to the strongest overall grip. Holding a disc is some combination of these depending on how you grip.
As rehder stated, start with the #1 CoC gripper if you don't already train your grip. If you can't close it try working on using two hands to close it, and the try to keep it shut with one hand. This is called a negative and will help you progress towards closing it.
Forearm strength will develop some as you train your grip but direct training will help your grip and overall ability to use your strength. It is also beneficial in everyday life. Levering is the best overall forearm strength exercise. A good guide is located here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/lever ... ng-813568/ Levering is basically holding an elongated object that is weighted primarily at the far end from your grip. Then you just try to move it around in a controlled manner. I.e., hold a sledgehammer at the handle straight up in the air with your arm extended and lower it slowly away from you, then return it to upright. Repeat.
As with any training, it doesn't matter how much you can do today, it matters if you can progress over time. Don't kill yourself going overboard, just do a little more each time. Success will come.
Cisco
Noob

Postby keltik » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm starting to rethink the CoC grippers. this recent hand/finger injury of mine makes me think that I needed more crushing strength than holding strength. the powerball is geared more towards a holding type. they actually say that the true CoC #1 is hard for even avid weight trainers to close. but if I can fund it I will probably check out a couple of these.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Cisco » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Yes the #1 is difficult, but not unattainable. I suggest starting with some simple cheap things like levering an old sledgehammer/pipe and pinch holds with a couple books if money is an issue. These things are likely free and will take you a long way. They also have multiple uses like, reading, or hammering. And they don't break or require batteries.
Cisco
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:45 am

You can lift anything heavy with a pinch or holding grip. Different sized objects are recommended and about four inches wide objects asre often used by weight lifters and those that compete in closing captains of crushes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury