BH + FH . . .advice me up

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

BH + FH . . .advice me up

Postby adamb258 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:44 pm

I have been throwing predominately FH since I started playing 6 months ago, my better FH driver land 300-350 out. My BH is a different story, I have been having a hard time getting much of anything consistent with them. Here are some videos i made today after a 3 week break from playing. I am hoping critiques on either will be helpful.

Thanks,
Adam

BH #1 172 esp crush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viQhBfyPbTI

BH #2 169 star teerex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4B4pY3ay8

BH #3 172 Goldline Striker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zyqDXipx0

FH #1 172 Goldline Halo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8EdjhjoGzY

FH #2 175 star X-cal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMfeTuPGXc0

FH #3 171 Star X-cal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OooZny_zOh8
adamb258
Noob

Re: BH + FH . . .advice me up

Postby Pwingles » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:41 pm

i assume your lack of run up/approach is due to the soggy ground
what i see on the BH throws, the Teerex in particular is your throwing like a pendulum and it looks like youre releasing nose up and during your reach back the disc is tilted at an awkward angle

the fh throws look better than the bh IMO
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby keltik » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:16 pm

Roc Lover wrote:i assume your lack of run up/approach is due to the soggy ground
what i see on the BH throws, the Teerex in particular is your throwing like a pendulum and it looks like youre releasing nose up and during your reach back the disc is tilted at an awkward angle

the fh throws look better than the bh IMO

I agree with this and will add that you are coming around with your shoulders too fast and are not using your elbow, at all.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139

also what kind of grip do you use?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby adamb258 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:41 pm

yeah the first few times i did a full run up/xtep i slipped and fell in the mud lol. I am using the standard power grip for my backhand shots, all 4 tight against the inside rim. I read through that thread a few weeks back before i decided I needed to work on my BH so ill give it another run through with more application.

Thanks for the advice,
Adam B
adamb258
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:40 am

Disregard.
Last edited by JR on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:42 am

Hi and welcome. You can reduce BH inconsistencies by borrowing what's working well for you from FH. That is leaning forward at the hit, moving BH last step 3-5" right to reduce whole body leaning to anhyzer while arm is doing hyzer, keeping the hips upright, not leaning right to add anny while back handing, moving into the direction you wanna throw with the stepping direction and pushing the elbow forward toward the target before chopping the elbow open into arm straightish at the hit.

Try to pull the disc in a straight line so that timing errors will result in the minimal amount of sideways missing. Now you have the disc down at the reach back.

These were approach drives. For maximum distance you need to turn your back much more toward the target. You're strong arming -wait until the disc is by the right pec before you put on the power with the arm.

Your arm plane varies from perfect any to starting hyzer following too low. Keep the arm at the intended hyzer angle throughout the pull and following through rotating the thumb down.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby adamb258 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:53 am

TY JR, I just finished reading all 11 pages of the "300' Max" thread and I have a lot of things to try in the field by my house tomorrow before I head back up to my local course. It is very obvious to me now I am not using my legs/hips as i need to be and the my elbow is not following its proper line ( among a laundry list of 10 other things I noticed from that thread) I will get another video in a few weeks to see if I was able to incorporate these things correctly. It should also dry up here in about 2 days so that may help with my run-up confidence.
adamb258
Noob

Postby MrScoopa » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:00 am

It looks like you are throwing your sidearm anny. I don't know if that is intentional. You wouldn't have to throw as hard and get about the same distance by throwing an s-curve with a beast or valkyrie. You'd probably turn those into rollers if you throw them like you are those x-cals.

Although I have been doing good with a 175 Champ Wraith flex-shot.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby adamb258 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:46 am

yeah im coming to the conclusion they are def too much disc for me , they were both free discs for me though so im not complaining =P
adamb258
Noob

Postby MrScoopa » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:57 pm

My uber-stable super discs weren't free :lol: One day I'll be able to use them.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby adamb258 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:07 pm

went out and practiced today and got whipped. Every few throws my TL or striker would release great fly out 350 easy but it would be 5-6 terrible throws before I could duplicate it. The bad part is I have no clue what I did different on those throws. I was also off on my accuracy a lot. I am sore as hell in the last 2 days Ive prolly made about 400 drives and played 2 full rounds of 18. I can barely move =P I appreciate the help everyone
adamb258
Noob

Postby adamb258 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:12 pm

I was wondering if y'all would recommend any specific discs to work on my BH. Currently using a 164 star Tl and have a 172 gold line striker. I am trading for a 175 star wraith soon as well.

Thanks,
adam
adamb258
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:08 am

I think they are just fine discs and you would get easier maximum power FH driving with the Wraith so you probably are set as it is. Unless you want more wind resistance in which case you still have ok discs.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby adamb258 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:46 am

A dx wraith was my main driver before I lost it at christmas. Then as gifts my in-laws got me the x-cal, teerex, crush and a few others so I hated to go spend money on a new disc when I just got the hook up =P

I think for now I am going to continue to play my rounds FH since playing BH yesterday frustrated me. I will just spend time before each round field practicing BH. This forum has given me lots of great advice and things to work on, its very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam
adamb258
Noob

Postby pdorries » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:47 pm

adamb258 wrote:I think for now I am going to continue to play my rounds FH since playing BH yesterday frustrated me. I will just spend time before each round field practicing BH.

if you are playing with your friends and don't want to get whooped, then go with what you feel best about (FH) but if you are playing by yourself I would suggest practicing both off the tee pad as much as you can. If you can develop your backhad without totally neglecting your forehand, you will have more success in the long run being able to attack lefty and righty holes.

it will definitely be frustrating, that is a sign that you want to get better, which is good. I've been playing three years and still get frustrated with the smallest things in my form and what not, I think most people are constantly working on their throw. so just keep up what you are doing... thinking, researching, and practicing... you won't be able to fix it all at once, but you will learn little tweaks and have new revelations as you go along, ultimately making you a much more solid player.
- destroyers - wraiths - beasts - firebirds - teebirds - eagles - rocs - gator - aviars - TEAM INNOVA -

get some innova plastic and get to winnin
pdorries
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: destroyer

Return to Video Critique