Vinyl Stencil

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Vinyl Stencil

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:36 pm

As much as you'd like to think that no one's gonna really care, you'll prolly hear it all over the place. It's the main reason I don't really go "all out" with promoting my dye work. Or even for all the tournament donations I give away.
People are quick to WANT something cool and sweet looking, but there's always someone who's gonna wah wah about copy written images and crap.
It's retarded but you should be weary just in case. I see Grateful Dead skulls and dancing bears on ebay nonstop... Pink Floyd, Punisher... All that crap goes on ebay all the time. I did a Tapout dye once just to feel out how well a dye would sell. BAM, got a notice to take it down. Pissed me off since I see ppl getting away with crap ALL the time and little old me can't slip under the radar.

So anywho. Do your thing, just don't go showcasing in the wrong places.
:D
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby marmoset » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:16 pm

My opinion FWIW... you should do all your own artwork. Never take anyone else's. Be inspired by others but don't copy.

What's the point of starting a band that only does covers of other bands' songs? You might make a little money but you'll be stuck on the lowest rung for your entire career.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby ChUcK » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:36 pm

I don't agree, marmoset. How do people learn how to play guitar? If the only thing I ever dyed was my own artwork, I would have done about 15 dyes ever, and would still be a newbie to the hobby. Practicing by copying others allowed me to have enough material to progress much further down the road. 15 dyes compared to 500 dyes, certain techniques get a little more polished.

Unless you want me to dye the same original artwork 500 times, again and again and over and over and again... I'd rather search eBay for hara-kiri knives on sale, no thanks. I have one original piece I have done many many times, but only a couple per month on average. Any more and it's a job.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:58 pm

I agree with ChUcK. Part of the premise of me doing dyes for people, is that they want what they want on a disc. It's like stickers on your car. You want to promote and advertise to other people what you're into and what you think it's TEH AWSUM!!!
It's also another reason I don't go full force with trying to sell my dyes. Because that means I'd be creating a website with dye images that are nearly all copywritten. I do a couple here and there for people and make a couple of bucks. I enjoy the small amount I do because I'm busy most of the time and can't pop em out like I'm some kind of factory.

But yeah, getting people to want your own artwork is a challenge. Not everyone is a great artist. Hell, I'm not. I've spent years in visual arts classes and graphics in college. I'm not good at creating from scratch. I'm good at manipulating. And I'm not afraid to admit it because I'm just good at other things.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Roy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:59 pm

I agree with ChUck and AciD... I think the problem is selling to make a few bucks. If a friend wants me to dye a Nike swoosh on a disc in trade for lunch, I dont see a problem. If I was selling 20 discs on Ebay that all had the shoosh, then there's a problem.

It's kind of a grey area for the companies complaining, which seems a little odd. For example, AciD's Tapout dye .... would that be stealing profits or would it be free advertising?
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby marmoset » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:44 am

I knew that was going to ruffle some feathers.
The big reason I do all my own artwork is because I can. And because I have different goals than most dyers.
I agree that people learn to play instruments by playing other peoples' music. Bands get in sync by playing other bands' songs. But when it comes time for albums, concerts, etc., their set isn't all covers. They might have one or two in there but mostly it is original stuff. Unless you are a cover band, of course, in which case people are closing their eyes and pretending you really are Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Here's my point: if you are into dyeing as an artistic outlet and you want to make a name for yourself then do your own stuff. You won't (shouldn't) catch serious artists biting off other peoples' art.

If you are into dyeing because you want to make a few Jordache, Jolt, Indiannapolis Colts (ha), Baby Ruth, Rockford Fosgate, Yugo, *insert whatever brand name you like*, for yourself and friends- then go for it. Like Acid said, be careful where you advertise or try to sell them. You might see it as free advertising, they would see it as you making money off of their idea/work/advertising/etc. You aren't making much profit but that's not the point they will try to make.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby SkaBob » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:28 pm

marmoset wrote:You won't (shouldn't) catch serious artists biting off other peoples' art.

What about all the artists that give nods to Warhol, Escher, Dali, Van Gogh? Some pretty respectable artists have done that...

Still, in terms of legality, the corporations have their rights in how their logos get used.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Thommie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:51 pm

im not selling anyone elses artwork..im selling the vinyl stencil of whatever youd like..those pics that i put up are discs in my bag and just showing that with most any picture you can create a stencil.

unless i completely miss the point which is possible haha
i've hit the chains 16 times on a teeshot. Ask me how many aces i have.
Thommie
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Elite-Z buzz

Postby ChUcK » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Thommie wrote:unless i completely miss the point which is possible haha

Yes, I believe this to be the case.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby marmoset » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:27 pm

SkaBob wrote:
marmoset wrote:You won't (shouldn't) catch serious artists biting off other peoples' art.

What about all the artists that give nods to Warhol, Escher, Dali, Van Gogh? Some pretty respectable artists have done that...

Give nods to? Absolutely. That's what I was getting at when I said "Be inspired by others but don't copy."

Eveything we do is because we've seen it somewhere before. Even the most outlandish alien in a movie will still have tentacles like a squid, fangs like a dog, and float through the air like a jellyfish in water. We humans can't help but be inspired by what we've seen; its how our brains work. The best we can do is take what we know and combine it in a different way than what anyone has ever seen. This is what makes an artist, whether it is a musician, sculptor, dancer, etc.: the ability to think outside the box and combine things in a way that noone has ever seen.

What artists don't do is repaint the Mona Lisa. DaVinci has already been there and done that. The artworld would not be "advanced" by repainting it. Your wallet could be "advanced" by repainting it, though, and that is the arena you are dealing in if you do replicate other peoples' work.

This is not what I'm in it for. If this is why you (the generic "you", not you specifically SkaBob) want to copy other peoples' ideas, then more power to ya. Just don't let certain people catch you with their stuff. Apparently Tapout is one of the pickier people. And I'm sure if you did a Metallica dye then Lars would come after you with a hatchet!
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Thommie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:51 pm

ChUcK wrote:
Thommie wrote:unless i completely miss the point which is possible haha

Yes, I believe this to be the case.

if anyone is to call it out.. it's you eeyore! ty!
Thommie

Postby Tim Red Beard » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:27 am

I'm sure you do great work and you of course are trying to make a buck and give some people nice stencils. I'll tell you I do everything I can by hand, however I have used the services of AciD before and I gotta say AciD is KING around here for Stencil's and Dye Templates, sorry to say he's got it on lockdown.

I will try your services and see what the quality of the vinyl is and how your work is. Just don't have anything too complex yet to dye. But when I do I'll hit you up for something.

TRB
Visit my Sponsor Mr. Disc Golf--------> Mr. Disc Golf
Team Panthorn, Vibram Tester, NEFA# 1149 / PDGA# 40038
Tim Red Beard
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Champ Teebird 172g

Postby ChUcK » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:28 am

Thommie wrote: if anyone is to call it out.. it's you eeyore! ty!

If you want to keep calling me names like a child, that's fine. I'll simply continue to fill your thread with the ways that your stencil sale is not what it seems.

Next point:
spitfire wrote:This one I have to touch up. There was left over residue from the vinyl that I didn't notice before I dipped the last color that is why it is lighter in areas. I really didn't want to cut this by hand so I got Thommie to make me the stencil...

Only crappy, cheap vinyl leaves residue like that. I know, because I mistakenly bought a roll once. That's the sort of vinyl that costs as little as 10 bucks for a big roll. 6 bucks for a piece of that stuff?

No thanks. Keep in mind that my critique comes not from a competitor, but as a potential customer. I contract out stencils to be cut with plotters every now and then for trophy type stuff. Next time the need arises I won't be sending you a PM, sorry about that.

However, I'm not arrogant enough to assume you should care whatsoever.. I'm writing this for every one else that will read this, and if I keep one less person from getting ripped off, then the post will have been a success.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Roy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:26 am

ChUck, you're saying Thommies ripping people off, but you've never tried what he is selling? It seems like spitfires reviews were positive.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Thommie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:32 am

eeyore,
oh man you found vinyl for ten $$ a roll? where can i get some?? i'd love to rip off my friends and everyone else in the disc golf world!!! that would be amazing!!(i know you're slow and stubborn but that was sarcasm)

Instead of being an internet dick, try helping out your fellow disc golfers. im not here trying to make 1 million $$ just trying to use up the vinyl i have that isn't large enough to do real signs with.

in addition im not trying to take away from acid in anyway, i posted on my local disc golf forums and got a few hits. and just wanted to see if maybe there would be a market for it here.

Oracal 651 intermediate cal is the "cheap" vinyl that i use..., Due to messing up alot of discs; i found out if your rit bath is to hot it will also leave glue residue on the disc. do not be so quick to jump on me. (nor am i placing the blame on you jay)

now i expect you to come back with something witty like, "well stay on your own forum, because this is MY HOUSE." and then chest bump your computer and sleep well tonight.. just save it man.
p.s. i'll stop calling you eeyore, Chuck.
Thommie

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Artwork