Which double stamps for noobs?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Which double stamps for noobs?

Postby krusen » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:09 pm

I'm thinking about getting a practice set of 5 double stamps from Zonedriven to let friends and family use that don't have their own discs. I have borrowed out my understable discs in the past, but realized that's a good way to end up with no understable discs.

Here are my choices:
Beast
Cobra
Eagle
Firebird
Orc
Roc
Shark
Teebird
Valkyrie
Viking

I was thinking one of these:
Cobra
Shark
TeeBird
Valkyrie

Assume an adult player with little to no experience.
Which mold should I get and at what weight (thinking as light as possible)?
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Smyith » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:32 pm

i would say a leopard, teebird or shark. all are great beginner discs especially the leopard and shark.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Solty » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:58 pm

leopard or cobra = great beginner disc..
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby sleepy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:28 pm

You could always do what Innova does for their starter kits...

Leopard
Shark
Aviar P&A

All 150g, all DX plastic. It's what I bought, and it has served me well for the past six months. I still haven't 'upgraded' or tried other molds/plastics because I figure it's better for me to learn how to throw these basic discs first before I get swept up in trying every disc out there.

It's the Indian, not the arrow, right? ;)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:14 am

Out of what you listed, I would go with an eagle, valkerie, or tee bird for a driver (I probably would go valerkie first something in the 160s).

What about roc for mid?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:18 am

sleepy wrote:It's the Indian, not the arrow, right? ;)

sleepy

You're right, but a straight arrow always trumps a crooked one... :)

I like trying new discs; I just don't jump on one right away. For example, I had the wraith in my bag as a try out disc even though my main drivers are trackers and avengers. Now that I learned the disc, it definately made the bag.

Even with discs that do not make my bag ( like the champ sidewinder), I still had fun trying it out.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:19 am

I've found that most beginners do the best with midrange discs and putters. The last time I took some newbie friends out they gravatated to the 159g DX Stingray.

I'd go with the Shark or Cobra.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby krusen » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:40 am

Thanks for the opinions.

A cobra would probably be the right choice, but I'm leaning to light Teebirds since I could practice with those as well.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Postby twmccoy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:42 pm

Me personally, I did great with drivers in the beginning, but they were light. The first driver I got out to 350' was a 158g DX beast. I think its a misconception that beginners can't throw drivers. My first driver ever was a 175g eagle and I could throw it fairly well from day 1.

If I were to pick 5 discs from your list I would pick (I assume they are all DX).
The lighter the weights, the easier it will be to throw these.

Orc lightweight
Teebird
Roc
Cheetah
Valkyrie
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby krusen » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:04 am

I'm pretty sure the deal is only for one mold. The ones I listed are 5 for 25$. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if I can split the order. I'd like to try some Valks since I have never thrown one, but I'm thinking the wider rim may make things more difficult for a newbie.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Postby jiwaburst » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:35 am

I have been bringing some new people out recently and found that the heavy sharks and light valks were the easiest for my friends to throw. A heavy shark does what one expects a disc to do if they have played some catch with normal discs.

Everyone new seems to have an easier time throwing valks than teebirds. And I found that my friends and wife need to have some distance to feel happy playing.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:29 pm

i wouldn't even bother getting a driver... a newbie can only throw it like a projectile if they want distance, which just hurts their form... and is ugly to watch.

DX sharks and cobras... all the way. something they can make glide, maybe turn over a little, end up straight... not fade too hard at the end.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

discs

Postby twmccoy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:59 pm

krusen wrote:I'm pretty sure the deal is only for one mold. The ones I listed are 5 for 25$. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if I can split the order. I'd like to try some Valks since I have never thrown one, but I'm thinking the wider rim may make things more difficult for a newbie.

I actually found the wider rim drivers (orc, flash, crush, beast) to be easier to throw when I started out, and I still favor them over smaller rim models. The valk would probably be a good choice.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:29 pm

Everyone has already put their ideas, but how about:

Driver:

DX Gazelle 160-163g

Midrange:

DX Roc 180g
or
DX Spider 170g

Putter:

Wizard of course I prefer 175g wizards in the soft.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby krusen » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:22 am

This has kinda gotten off track. I intend to buy a set of 5 x-outs from Zonedriven for newbs to use. I can only choose from the ones listed:
Beast
Cobra
Eagle
Firebird
Orc
Roc
Shark
Teebird
Valkyrie
Viking
I don't want to buy a whole set, since a newb doesn't really need a mid, and I have extra DX aviars to use. It would be a bonus if I could use the discs as well.
I was originally thinking Valk since I have been wanting to try those out, but it sounds to me that a Cobra would be a better choice for the enjoyment of the new golfers. I'm thinking light weight would still be necessary. Maybe I could still learn some finesse by taking some light Cobras to the practice field.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment