Knee exercises

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Knee exercises

Postby jw34 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:27 pm

I ended up taking off around 4-5 weeks or so and let it heal enough and I felt less and less pain. During that time I did more stationary bike work and exercises that were for meniscus rehab.
Yes, a bit of a short term break will help. But use that time to do a bit of rehab and re-think your throw.
jw34
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:54 am

ManU wrote:DON'T do leg extensions...they will destroy the stability in your knee
Also it is not so much that you are "strengthening your knees" rather it is the strength in the supporting musculature
I have discussed this with my sports med doctor often enough given the state of my knees
anyway the reco's are:
calf raises...if you don't have a set of weights at home...just use stairs...toes on the edge of the step, then lower and raise yourself...do one leg at a time

squats for sure...body weight will work...raise your arms in a "Y" above your head

wall sits...squat down and sit with your back against a wall...this will work your quads without straining the ligaments in your knee as your feet are planted (as opposed to when doing extensions)

lunges...step forward and lower your centre of gravity and then push back up

IF you do have a weight set...still do the above but squats with a bar finished with a calf raise

add weights to your lunges

and add in curls
hamstring strength is hugely important to stabilize the knee

and let's be clear you spend the all your time lugging your body weight around...so there is nothing wrong with training with your body weight...it trains you for exactly the job you have to do...it just might take extra time/reps etc

What's the difference between leg extensions and curls? Is it that leg extensions are the seated position and the curl is the lying on the stomach?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Flick4D » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 am

Yes, you are correct. Leg (knee) extensions are typically performed in a seated position as far as machines go, and leg curls (knee flexion) are typically performed lying down or seated on a machine.

I'd recommend performing this exercise instead of leg curls, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYnVwNhB ... re=related

It's a very functional exercise, despite being performed in a non-functional position, and works the hamstrings, glutes, lower back, and abdominals (super important for core stability/knee and hip stability/power production). If you've ever worked out hard, had sore hamstrings, and tried throwing sidearm (or any) drives while still sore, you realize how important these muscles are! :wink:
Flick4D
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Star Destroyer

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:17 am

Thanks Flick!

I'll give that a try. I gotta admit the first few times I watched that video I was really thinking of a few other exercises I'd like to do... :wink:
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Claytoon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:43 am

I want to 'work out' so bad now! :x :? :oops: :D
But seriously, they look like good core exercises too.
Claytoon
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Postby Flick4D » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:40 am

:lol: I thought that would be more enjoyable, and a better example than some dude...
Flick4D
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Star Destroyer

Postby victorb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:18 am

Flick4D wrote:Yes, you are correct. Leg (knee) extensions are typically performed in a seated position as far as machines go, and leg curls (knee flexion) are typically performed lying down or seated on a machine.

I can't see your vid link from here at work, but I thought I'd add a few facts to what you mentioned.

Leg extensions and hamstring curls are known as 'open chain' type exercises - where the foot is not in a fixed position. The downsides of these type of exercises outweigh the benefits in all but the healthiest of joints.

The 'closed chain' alternatives are squats/lunges for your quadriceps, and straight leg dead lift for your hamstrings. The fixed positioning of the feet provides stability and decreases direct pressure that is put on the knee joint. They are a great way to work out safely, high difficulty while protecting your knees.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Yep.

I've been doing a bunch of squats, lunges (both forward and backward), romanian deadlifting, straight leg deadlifting combined with a bunch of stretching. I'm really trying to get my legs beefed up enough to support my big ass through the disc golf season.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby garublador » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:28 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Yep.

I've been doing a bunch of squats, lunges (both forward and backward), romanian deadlifting, straight leg deadlifting combined with a bunch of stretching. I'm really trying to get my legs beefed up enough to support my big ass through the disc golf season.
Have you done any lateral (sideways) lunges yet? You might find some "new" muscles if you haven't. I'm far from a sports physiologist (I don't even know if I spelled it right) but it seems like it would be an especally good exercise for disc golfers, too.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:15 am

garublador wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:Yep.

Have you done any lateral (sideways) lunges yet? You might find some "new" muscles if you haven't. I'm far from a sports physiologist (I don't even know if I spelled it right) but it seems like it would be an especally good exercise for disc golfers, too.

Didn't even think about that but it sounds great. I'll try it today. Thanks!
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thommie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:25 am

abductor adductor, outer thigh inner thigh.
you can get the same results from pointing your toes in opposite 45 degree angles when squatting. \ /
i've hit the chains 16 times on a teeshot. Ask me how many aces i have.
Thommie
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Elite-Z buzz

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:27 am

I'm also trying to eat canned sardines in olive oil from Trader Joe's 3x's a week or so after the gym.
1- I hear Omega3 is good for the joints and
2- Sardines are wicked high in protein
3- Pretty damn tasty on some rye triscuts
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:36 am

Last night was the first time I played disc golf in a month.
Last night was also the first time my knee hurt in a month...
I guess I'm going to play less DG, I can't seem to figure out a safe pivot. :cry:
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Dig It » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:41 am

squatz, oatz
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:39 am

Dig It wrote:squatz, oatz

oatz?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext