List of Grips with Pictures. Look Here First!!!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

List of Grips with Pictures. Look Here First!!!

Postby dgdave » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:49 am

http://innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html

Is there anyway to make this Sticky? There are lots of grip questions and this has a TON on answers.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby sunspot » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:31 pm

Good link.

I think the fork grip that he uses is not entirely how Climo has describe it. If you look at the youtube video of Climo and how he describes the fork grip you'll see that he has the ring finger and middle finger on top of the pinky (middle finger is not necessarily a must). In this article, Dave shows the fork grip (at least the way that I see it) as a grip that is more "in-line" with the other fingers than having them stacked over the pinky.

If I'm wrong about that then correct me.

For a good description on the spilt power and fork grip look for the ventura tourney on youtube. Dave Feldberg shows how to do this grip in the middle of the video.

Regardless, that link is invaluable and must see for everybody who has questions about grip.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby radsnowsurfer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:46 pm

dgdave, I read the whole grip article but still had questions it dosen't really talk about the plusses and minusses of different grips as all the instruction at the top (still very insightful) was done with one grip.
Joshua Olmsted
radsnowsurfer
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:55 pm

Rad,

I hope you don't think I posted this due to your grip question. I just post this link a lot because it shows a lot of different options. I just thought about it when I saw your question. I had lots of grip questions earlier this year.

I think a Pros/Cons section would also be very helpful.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby black udder » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:21 pm

radsnowsurfer wrote:dgdave, I read the whole grip article but still had questions it dosen't really talk about the plusses and minusses of different grips as all the instruction at the top (still very insightful) was done with one grip.

From my experience, the different grips don' t have any universal pluses or minuses. They're just different methods for gripping the disc. Each is extremely subjective to the thrower.

I've some folks say that the bonopane helps with keeping the nose down, I throw birdie to prevent injury, people throw fan for control, etc. But it really is subject to your own discoveries. You'll read and hear that a 4 finger power grip yields the best distance, but when somebody is throwing over 350' or over 400' with another grip, you have to wonder exactly what "best" distance is...
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Re: List of Grips with Pictures. Look Here First!!!

Postby Fritz » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:50 pm

dgdave wrote:http://innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html

Is there anyway to make this Sticky? There are lots of grip questions and this has a TON on answers.

Done! :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Anakha » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:04 pm

Fritz wrote:

Don't forget about the link at the very top of every page of this forum. :roll:

Lots of other helpful stuff there too. :wink:
Anakha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby dgdave » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:25 pm

Anakha wrote:
Fritz wrote:

Don't forget about the link at the very top of every page of this forum. :roll:

Lots of other helpful stuff there too. :wink:

Thanks Fritz!!!

Anakha, So true. I forget about the articles on the main page a lot.

IF YOU'RE NEW, READ THE MAIN PAGE ARTICLES FIRST. THEY ARE VERY, VERY VALUABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Blake_T » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:45 am

Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby discspeed » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:49 am

Climo's grip is closest to the pinch grip in the above pictures.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Claytoon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:09 am

Funny, no matter how much you KNOW you have your grip right, if you re-read something years later about fundamentals with a wider range of knowledge and understanding of concepts/terminology, you may find something very important that you missed.
When I first read the article on grip on the DGR site years ago, I somehow misunderstood it and have been creating my main rip point by squeezing "like a mofo" between my index finger and thumb. I read the Feldberg grip article, saw that it said pull into the palm, and said nothing about thumb pressure, and was curious...then reread the DGR article, and realized I've been doing it wrong all along.
I wonder how much this has hurt my throws? Can't wait until the freezing rain stops so I can try my new rip point inwards between index and seam of palm, as opposed to upwards between my thumb and index finger.
Claytoon
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Postby Claytoon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:40 am

Realized the other day how important 'thumb forward' is, and also how much more forward thumb forward actually is than feels natural/normal. But once I got it, getting the disc nose down wasn't a problem anymore.
Claytoon
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Postby josser » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:11 am

Claytoon wrote:Realized the other day how important 'thumb forward' is, and also how much more forward thumb forward actually is than feels natural/normal. But once I got it, getting the disc nose down wasn't a problem anymore.

I find that putting my thumb tip on the disc instead of the entire thumb pad also helps force the nose down. I still have nose up issues, but the thumb tip helps minimize them.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby tiger aqua » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Avery Jenkins press with entire thumb pad (pic in innova catalog) . With my thumb that grip is impossible.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/catalog10/web%2037.pdf
tiger aqua
Noob

Favorite Disc: P2

Postby JR » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:52 am

http://www.youtube.com/user/MAROROGUNSO ... 1qAABEAyu8 and the two next parts show differences like some DVDs. The thumb print ain't always on the flight plate. Sometimes the transition area from thumb tip to the finger print is the part touching the disc. Interesting that he has differences. Maybe he's changed the grip or he varies it according to different grip conditions like temperature, humidity and the wear and slickness of the plastic of the disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Technique