indie music..

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

indie music..

Postby drunkentroubadour » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:26 pm

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers - you MUST check them out..

www.azpeacemakers.com

or check out their reviews on amazon.com
drunkentroubadour
Noob

Postby garublador » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:43 pm

What was that...I should plug my friend's bands? Well, if you insist:

In the Twin Cities:

http://www.mightyfairly.com/
http://www.livinlargeband.com/ (not exactly indie, but I may as well plug them)

In NYC:

http://www.therinse.net/
garublador
Disc Whore

PEACEMAKERS

Postby jdawg4422 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:26 pm

Peacemakers rock. I see them atleast two or three times a year. They do two shows a year in rocky point at sunset cantina. Awesome show!! I dont like that kind of music all that much, but for some reason i really like them.

Jason
jdawg4422
Noob

Postby sleepy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:41 pm

I don't know if they're considered 'indie' anymore, but Spoon's newest album Gimme Friction is great. I recently saw them live and they sounded just as good live as they did on plastic.

Two thumbs up.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby presidio hills » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:25 am

tapes n' tapes!

pitchfork just hyped them up BIG time! it's my good friend from highschool. their album is full of hooks and no two songs on the album sound the same. i don't listen to much indie rock anymore, but i have to say they are very good at what they do and deserve the attention... and i'm a music snob so that's hard to get out of me.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:42 am

when i was in portland shooting video i had a big debate w/ my best friend from college (when i went to reed college) about how around 1996 it became formulaic on how to make a cmj/pitchfork writer soil themselves with a new indie record.

he didn't buy my overall argument but wholly agreed with a few points that i made, especially one about how a well-reviewed indie record can't rock. he stated that indie bands have tried for years to get rid of the rock from that style of music (i don't see how this is a good thing and i called out for some indie butt rock). i realized the other day while having a similar discussion that rockless indie rock would probably be better off with the label "un-rock." further discussion revealed un-rock + indie rock = undie rock :)

oddly enough, i've come to realize that there is about a 10-12 year lag on indie rock appreciation by critics. albums that i said "wow, this is a landmark indie record" back in the day generally got awful reviews, but now in hindsight, critics are looking back and now saying "wow, that was a landmark indie record."

i believe in 10 years people will look back at this era of undie rock and go "wow, all this stuff that got great reviews sucked and we really f'd things up by destroying bands that made good independent rock records." i blame radiohead.

i guess all this just further jades the indie rock snob in my heart.

on a side note, wtf is up with remastering old indie records. it ruins the experience and rivals the genius of "neck belts" (from the onion).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.