So I'm relatively new to this site, but I have been dying discs for about 6 months now. It has been quite a learning process. I found my first information off the homepage to this website. (oh how I wish I had gone to the forums.
) My first disc was an elaborate scull on an ace of spades. I used contact paper but had no Idea how to cut it out and put it on the disc. So I used my pumpkin carving method, and taped the picture to my contact paper and cut straight through the pattern and the contact paper. All the way through. I quickly realized that my method was going to make it very difficult to put the image on the disc the way I wanted. So in the end I got the pattern on, but negative of how I wanted. Then dyed the rest of the disc black with acetone and rit. The color was very splotchy and it bled horribly on the teeth. Unfortunately I lost the disc before I could take a picture. (Dang snow) Next a skeeter. Same method. Painted the acetone and rit with a small paintbrush.
Other than not centering the picture actually turned out quite good. Then tried some pumpkin carving patters. Still using the original cutout method so the color is opposite what I would like. Also tried painting with a thick brush. Bled like crazy.
Actually did 2 like this both bled like crazy. I don't have a picture of the other one. Tried one more with this method going back to the thin paintbrush. Tried a statue of liberty. Another lost disc. (dang snow) No picture. Turned out well with very little bleed but very splotchy on the color. Finally found the forum section of this site and read acids tutorial. (Thanks Acid!) But I didn't want to cut on the disc. Also not enough water in the pan. Burned the disc. This was the last one that I used this method of cutting. Everything got stuck together and it's amazing I got it to come together as well as I did. The white spots are where I cut the pattern off the contact paper but left the tape.
After this disc I watched the video's by Chuck and Tim. (Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!) Tried my first disc using contact paper and masking tape as transfer tape. Masking tape is too sticky to work well as transfer tape. so I tore the contact paper in a few places. But over all. I really like this disc.
Tried again with a 2 color attempt this one worked very well.
Now I wanted to try vinyl so I went to a local vinyl sign shop and paid way too much for scraps. Still used masking tape. Still too sticky. But I'm really happy with this one. It is the mascot for a local high school my daughter goes to. The Lancers.
Found out that one of my coworkers does vinyl signs on the side. He brought me some scrap vinyl and gave it to me for free. It wasn't sticky enough. And bled really bad. I used clear contact paper as transfer tape and it worked extremely well. That being said I actually still really like this one. But no more cheap free vinyl for me!
So I went back to the higher quality vinyl used contact paper as transfer tape. followed all of Chucks directions, and finally got what I was trying to get all along.
Moral of the story. The guys on this forum know what they are talking about. And if you are willing to follow instructions most anyone can successfully dye disc too.