My 2nd vid

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My 2nd vid

Postby terazen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Haven't done one of these in 4 months and the weather was nice. I could have swore my form looked way different until I videotaped it!

In these I wasn't focusing on anything except the "feel" of the disc, gripping hard with my index & middle fingers, and throwing with a limp arm for the whip feel.

What I noticed...
- My elbow isn't out hardly at all, probably from the limp arm.
- Not real close to the chest at times.
- Delay using my hips more. All my good distance throws seem to be on the right hand corner of the football field (sometimes landing on the track).
- Throw a lower line instead of throwing them all like they are gonna S like my roadrunner (the purple disc).

Am I on the right track? I want to fix what I can before trying to start using my arm more.

Also, there was a nice tailwind yesterday afternoon so gotta drop at least like 20-30ft from half of these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IyPwXgKguk

Thanks yall.
terazen
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Teebird

Re: My 2nd vid

Postby JR » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Your arm acceleration beginning point varies and the later ones are just fine. Your plant location varies the first two throws were more to the left of the third in which you also didn't tilt from the hips so much so you had less anny. For a flat shot with a disc that you can power 100 % released flat without turning anny you want to plant on or slightly to the right of the line you're running on. For hyzers even more right. You get nice height and D for such slow steps that sometimes decelerate when they should be accelerating. You're getting close to where the only thing to add more power generation beside cross training is to run faster and turn farther away from the target. In the meanwhile try twisting faster with the hips and turning the shoulders explosively in the end. That is helped by not trying to bulge the muscles like lifting weights but turning around quickly like you heard a car horn from behind approaching rapidly. More chest forward at the rip please. Twist the knees clockwise and kick harder with the left leg for more power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby terazen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Wow I can't believe I missed the footwork thing! I just rewatched the vid locally on my pc and it's bad lol. I worked on that a lot a few months ago and apparently the habit came back after Christmas break. That's what I get for not watching a video of myself in so long. I tried it a few times in my house and it feels strange, but I think a few of my problems can be fixed by fixing footwork. I stopped kicking my left leg because it wasn't putting me weight forward. It was mainly straining my right knee somehow if I recall.

When you said arm acceleration beginning point, which throws were off just so I can find what you mean?

Thanks so much!
terazen
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:57 am

Ironically of the from the side filmed throws the 340' and 345' had latest onset of accelerating hard with the arm and pretty ok even they could start 4" or so later for controlled D others were way too early. But that may be a timing training matter because in these throw you seemed hesitant but also moved slowly. The slower you run up the easier it is to retard the onset of arm usage until the right time at the right pec position elbow forward.

Maybe you were thinking of how you do things while throwing. If that was the case you need to first think of the single motion you wanna monitor during throwing because more than that is lucky if you notice them both and more than two is nigh impossible. After thinking of what you need to monitor for the planned shot the execution should be as flat brain wave as possible until you reach the right pec position where the muscle controls jump quickly from 0 to 100 % in arm power generation for the elbow chop.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby terazen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:44 pm

The side throws may have had worse grip than the rest which negated the slightly better timing with the arm acceleration. I never thought it was a big deal before, but now that I'm throwing a little further I can feel the difference between throws where my grip was better and worse.
JR wrote:Maybe you were thinking of how you do things while throwing.
That's exactly what I was doing. Just walking slow and trying to feel the whip. Eventually I'll be able to do it without focusing so hard and then I can think about another part of my technique!
terazen
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:49 pm

terazen wrote:The side throws may have had worse grip than the rest which negated the slightly better timing with the arm acceleration. I never thought it was a big deal before, but now that I'm throwing a little further I can feel the difference between throws where my grip was better and worse.

Yeah grip is fundamental. You can get everything about form right, are the strongest and fastest person ever and if you don't close the hand the disc will fall down and you threw 0'. Video evidence from last summer pointed out that I have micro slips where the disc flies to intended direction but the thumb slipped off off the disc too early reducing the speed and rotations of the disc. Consequently I'm currently developing grip strength. If that doesn't help with practice I have no choice but to drop trying to time the pinch aggressively late. So far I've noticed that active pinching ain't nearly as powerful as automatic prevention of slipping. Yesterday I bought weights and was carrying them home in a bag with string handle. I pinched the string between thumb and index fingerprints and when the string started slipping after a while my hand and wrist became much tighter and the muscles really bulged. I felt the added pressure in the fingers feeling almost double as much as with conscious although not full pinch power. I didn't need full conscious pinching power to maintain position of the string initially. When I tired the automation kicked in once the string slipped a bit. It felt the same as my longest throw where automation kicked in and I probably didn't get as bad a slip.

You need a lot of hand and finger strength for the longest drives.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Video Critique