Discraft Flash

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Discraft Flash

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:36 pm

Threw one of these friday... and i have one word "long." it was a 167g yellow first run. very fast, but not particularly overstable. it seems discraft finally hit the target by designing this for Z plastic as it's the first driver of theirs that i've been able to flatten from a hyzer since the eilte pro XL.

the two major downsides of this disc:
1) inconsistency of color/stability. have been told the blue ones are VERY flippy... like roller flippy if you have 400+ power. orange are supposed to be most overstable, with yellow in the middle.
2) VERY wide rim... like... 2mm wider than a valkyrie. it also has the little angle change at the bottom of the rim similar to a cyclone or X2 and a notch at the end of the nose similar to an eagle, teebird, or firebird. the combinations of these 3 things pretty much made sure of two things for me due to my small hands. first, i can't get it nose down. second, the bottom of the rim nearly splits open the joint of my index finger.

however, i was throwing nose up stall outs in the 330' range consistently on a soccer field (my max drive for the day was ~385' and an avg of about 350') and i found this relatively impressive. stabilitywise i'd compare it to a new max weight DX valk or a newish heavy DX teebird, but much much faster.

i let my friend give it a few throws, his avg D with a dx valk or dx teebird is usually in the range of 350-380' as well... and this was consistently his longest drive. he did 1 set of 360 turnaround drives and put most of his valks and teebirds out around 375'+ with a longest of about 390', but the flash was up there around 410' on a throw that peaked in the 15' of height range.

this is the first disc in a long time that i have been willing to push as "probably will be your longest disc." if you can break 300' and have fingers long enough for proper grip on this thing, it very likely may be 5-10% longer than your current longest disc.

i'll be posting a comprehensive review on the main page soon.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby garublador » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:50 am

Good preliminary review. I'll attempt to supplement it with a beginner's take on the disc:

I'm a new player who happend to pick up a 168g orange Flash a couple of weeks ago. I have around 250' or so of 'D' at the moment and I have found that the Flash does, on average, give me a few extra feet assuming an "average" throw. I'm almost always suprised at how far it goes for how hard I throw it. However, if I'm able to pull out a really good throw, I don't think that this disc will give me my maximum distance. Because of its fade at the end of the flight and resistance to high speed turn, I find that discs that I'm able to flatten out more from a hyzer and stay straight (i.e. more understable at high speeds and less overstable at low speeds) go farther.

Right now I'm using it for holes when I don't want it to turn over but do want fade at the end of the flight or when I'm throwing into a headwind. For me, it's very predictable for these types of shots. So, as a beginner, I find that it really doesn't work for a pure distance driver, but it still has a very important spot in my bag. I also like the fact that it's made in the 'Z' plastic because I know that as I progress, the disc won't get too beat up and in the future may work as a distance driver for me.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:25 am

ah, the orange may be the reason. i haven't thrown one but have been told it's like, 1 more step of stability.
i'm guessing this disc may be too fast currently for your D range but i could be wrong.

as you start breaking 300' with most discs, it may very well become very long for you though but it might be worth trying to experiment with 167-ish yellows and blues. i don't throw with a lot of arm speed (snap dominated thrower) and there's a lot of discs out there i can't flatten from a hyzer, this one i could though. i'm also guessing later down the road you will be itching for discs that finish more predictably at the end of their flight.

i actually wish it wasn't so thick as i could see myself throwing it if it didn't rip my hand open. although i definitely want to see if they are consistent in their color/stability combinations run by run... i don't mind that they are different, just get PO'd when they change over time.
Blake_T

Postby garublador » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:01 pm

Blake_T wrote:i'm guessing this disc may be too fast currently for your D range but i could be wrong.

You're probably right about that. I think my main problem is I don't have enough snap for how fast I can potentially throw. When my throws go wrong I tend to either anhyzer them too much or turn them over (I can't tell if it's the angle or lack of spin) and the orange Flash resists that the best of the discs I have....but that's another thread.

I have a friend who has a blue Flash in the upper 160's so I may have to talk him into trading for a round or two to see what differences I find.

As a side note, I have long, slender fingers so I actually find the wider rim pretty comfortable. Also, is it me, or does the plastic used for the Flash seem a little grippier than most of the other discs in 'Z' plastic?
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:38 pm

if it's a snap problem, then you may be yanking a little which would cause annie release.

as for turnover from a given velocity and nose angle...
it depends a lot on what you are throwing. imo, the main problem with this is when you are throwing discs that don't come back.

i don't throw with enough nose down velocity to turn over the majority of the high speed drivers but i can break 350' on a good pull.
for midranges i can do it if i want to.

in terms of the plastic, i read somewhere that they needed to reformulate in order to pass rigidty requirements... so it is a bit different... glides much better than all the other z plastic i have thrown
Blake_T

Postby staynsalty » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:08 pm

I just got a 173g orange flash today and threw in in a cow pasture near my house.

When I was testing it against my other discs for distance it seems to be at least alot longer than my other discs.

I was mainly throwing a 174g orc and the flash flew much farther on average.

My orc which was my longest disc on my best throws was right around 400' but the flash flew on my best around 440'.

I think a big part of the extra distance was the extra glide the flash had over the orc.

Also the z plastic is very tough so it will probably be a long time before this disc gets torn up.

So overall I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend this disc to anyone looking for a little more distance off the tee
(probably everyone) :D .
staynsalty
Noob

Postby MGD » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:00 pm

First off id just like to say this is an Awsome site youve put together Blake! The resorces have helped me out a ton. I was wondering if you have had a chance to throw a orange flash yet? Currently my two main max distance drivers are a 171 CE Orc and a 172 DX Valk wich I throw around 350'. Im unsure As to wich one would be better between the yellow and orange. How would you(or anyone reading this) compare the stability between a CE Orc and a orange crush? From the impression ive got the orange would be less stable than my Orc and more stable than my Valk just wondering if this is correct and if not how much is the difference?

Ive also heard there are purple ones as well as blue. Where would the purple be rated? Many thanks in adv.
MGD
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:37 pm

MGD,

i guess it comes down to preference... both the yellow and the orange fall into the less stable than an orc, more stable than a valk range.

at 350' of d, i would probably recommend the yellow as most of the people i know w/ approximately that much D have found best success with. the people i know who consistently throw 400+ say they would only throw the ornage ones.

as for the purple ones, i have been told they are similar to the blue but possibly a bit more flippy. the red ones i have been told are similar to the orange but possibly more stable. i don't know anyone who has thrown the off-white or green ones yet.
Blake_T

Postby MGD » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:41 pm

Thanks again for the reply thats pretty much just what i was wanting to know.

I ended up getting a 174 yellow Flash last night. I think it may be from a second run??
The flashes I have seen previously have had Flash written in big letters across the front, while this one just has it written in small letters around the rim of the face of the disc.
I Went to play with it today and liked the disc very much. to me it felt pretty much just like a more stable Valk with longer distance. I did get a good amont of annie release and it did not come back and just kept fading to the right where-as my Orc with the same anni angle would come back slightly at the end of its flight.
Anyways im liking it enough to check out the Orange and see if I can get some first runs of other collors if indeed the one I have is second. Peace.
MGD
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:13 pm

actually, the second runs have a similar writing stamp across the front like the first runs, but do not have the "first run" line on it.

although they are a bit squirrly when new, once you break them in you can flip them up from a hyzer line and have them ride straight or with a slight turn. i find them a bit more controllable than an orc but i also don't throw tremendously hard as i have more of a finesse game.

i'm still mixed on whether or not to carry it... the upside is that if i carry it i will throw it... the downside is that if i carry it, i will throw it...
Blake_T

Postby mat » Tue May 24, 2005 9:02 pm

Distance wise does the flash usually go the same as a crush, orc, beast or more?
mat
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 24, 2005 9:49 pm

imo, the flash is slightly longer than a crush for players with less than 400' of consistent power... and i would say it is the same when compared to the orc.

for bigger throwers, the orc is probably a bit longer than the crush but less predictable. both will be as a whole will be slightly longer than the flash since most players with a lot of snap end up turning the flash over too much.

all 3 of those discs are a bit longer than the beast if you can generate enough power on them.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:22 am

I had a light orange flash 165 or 66 first run. It was a bit flippy and turned into a lake. So I traded for a max weight tye dye (may have been purple, not sure). This disc was very straight for me, but I could occasionally flip it if I wanted to. I also released it with hyzer and let it flatten out. It also went into the lake, I never have replaced it.

I don't remember it being all that long, but I don't have a big arm.

Overall, I was finding them inconsistent not only between runs but between colors. I believe the orange first runs were supposed to be the most overstable.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment