Ol' St. Louis!

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ol' St. Louis!

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:19 am

My wife and I are going to St. Louis in 3 weeks for a little getaway......I have researched the Dg courses and as of now, I think we rae going to play Jefferson Barracks on the way into St. Louis and maybe see the gateway place as well....PLease give any advice as to better places to play...endicott is a possibility as well but I wanted something a little more open for my wife's sake..while we are here...some of you St. Louis guys...give me some general things to do!
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Re: Ol' St. Louis!

Postby Timko » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:47 pm

Paging Working Stiff...
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Roy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:52 pm

*cough* negative feedback list *cough* *cough*
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm already very ashamed of the mistakes I made in trades recently...didn't really need the reminder. I will assume that you were simply trying to be helpful. If that is the case, I appreciate it. thx
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Sioux Passage is fairly open yet still challenging. Creve Coure is also a little more open than JB, but is almost entirely flat. JB is a blast, and Endicott is fairly beginner friendly as well in my opinion. If you have the time/desire I highly suggest Foundation Park in Centralia, IL. It's about an hour outside St. Louis but is well worth the trip; 18 hole championship course and a 9 hole beginner course. Well layed out, each hole presents a unique challenge.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Elevated Plastic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:43 am

sioux passage is a must along with jefferson barracks. Didn't understand the hype about endicott, I found it average nothing special.
So many courses, so little time......
Elevated Plastic
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby tallpaul » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Foundation Park in Centrailia is the better than all of the St. Louis courses (and I like a number of them). Foundation is a tough course though; and even the course that's labeled as a beginner course (the nine hole course) is long footage wise.
Sioux is also a big arm course, but probably St. Louis' best. Creve Coure is nothing but a big arm course; quite plain.
Endicott probably best for a newer, less skilled player....a quality course; just nothing special to higher level players. Jefferson Barracks fits this description as well. These two are geared towards blue level players; who find them quality for their skill level.
If you're going to Centrailia, go to their board and post in the who's playing section, and someone will more than likely give you the tour.
tallpaul
Noob

Favorite Disc: roc

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:56 pm

When you go to St. Louis in the baseball off-season, you can drink Budweiser. You can go to the Bowling Hall of Fame. The Bowling Hall of Fame is better if you have several Budweisers first. The Blues are a good time if they are in town. Sometimes they have tractor pulls down at the dome (once again copious Budweiser consumption is suggested.) If all that fails, you can always hit a bar and drink some Budweisers.

Basically having lived in St. Louis and Chicago I always say Chicago was a crappy town to live in but I love to go back and visit. St. Louis was a great place to live, but I get bored as Hell when I go back to visit. The Budweiser tonic can cover up some of the boredom, but not all.

As for the golf, Sioux Passage and Jefferson Barracks have been #1 and #1A in that town for 15 years. Nothing has really changed that. Foundation Park is a good as advertised, but it takes an hour or so from downtown to get there and there is really no other reason to go that way. Endicott, Woodland and Rocksprings are a notch below. Unger is unfinished and hard to navigate. Lindenwood College has already been closed to non-students and is well on its way to getting pulled in record time. The rest are unremarkable.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Working Stiff wrote:When you go to St. Louis in the baseball off-season, you can drink Budweiser. You can go to the Bowling Hall of Fame. The Bowling Hall of Fame is better if you have several Budweisers first. The Blues are a good time if they are in town. Sometimes they have tractor pulls down at the dome (once again copious Budweiser consumption is suggested.) If all that fails, you can always hit a bar and drink some Budweisers.

Basically having lived in St. Louis and Chicago I always say Chicago was a crappy town to live in but I love to go back and visit. St. Louis was a great place to live, but I get bored as Hell when I go back to visit. The Budweiser tonic can cover up some of the boredom, but not all.

As for the golf, Sioux Passage and Jefferson Barracks have been #1 and #1A in that town for 15 years. Nothing has really changed that. Foundation Park is a good as advertised, but it takes an hour or so from downtown to get there and there is really no other reason to go that way. Endicott, Woodland and Rocksprings are a notch below. Unger is unfinished and hard to navigate. Lindenwood College has already been closed to non-students and is well on its way to getting pulled in record time. The rest are unremarkable.

So if I am coming in from Memphis on 55, is Sioux Passage or JB more accessible? We are staying about 6 miles west of downtown but I forgot the name of the hotel. We intended to play on Friday as we were approaching St' Louis....Also, do either of the course have a pro shop? Does ANYBODY in St' Louis sell Latitude discs?
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:25 pm

Tossin' in Memphis wrote:So if I am coming in from Memphis on 55, is Sioux Passage or JB more accessible? We are staying about 6 miles west of downtown but I forgot the name of the hotel. We intended to play on Friday as we were approaching St' Louis....Also, do either of the course have a pro shop? Does ANYBODY in St' Louis sell Latitude discs?
Rolling up 55 you will go right by West City Park in Festus and Jefferson Barracks. Sioux Passage is waaayyy up North.

Are you staying out in Clayton? Endicott is easy to get to from there, it's right off 170.

No pro shop at J.B. The Gateway shop moved. I'm not aware of anyplace selling Latitude discs, but I'm no expert.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:47 am

Is there any store that sells multiple makes of discs? In Memphis, you can't buy ANYTHING but Innova except for a handful of Gateway stuff at the shack.......I just, for once, want to go in a store that has piles of discs from a bunch of companys!Sioux passage looked nice on DGCR but it looked like it might be quite a hike for my wife after a 5 hour car drive...Is JB a little shorter in terms of overall distance? I actually prefer a more closed course anyway
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Depending on how the pins are set, JB can set up pretty long. It's not a brutal up and down like Sioux Passage. By the time I get to the tee at # 16 at Sioux I need an oxygen tank and a nap. JB is more user friendly. The main parking lot by # 1 at JB is closed I think. A tree came down and crushed the shelter and the whole area is closed off according to a friend of mine.

For your discs, you want to go to Johnny Mac's on Watson Road. Big selection of Innova, Discraft, Millennium and Lightning. No Gateway there. For that you need to go to the Gateway shop which is up by Westport someplace, not too far from Creve Coeur from what I hear.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Yehosha » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:14 pm

First off you HAVE to try some Ted Drew's frozen custard. You'll never want to eat ice cream again. For other stuff to do Forest Park is a good place to spend a day, the Art Museum & Science Center there are both free. The St Louis Zoo is also free. Riding to the top of the arch is fun to do once, same with touring the Budweiser factory. There's also a Six Flags there. Or if you're feeling real adventurous, put on your red bandana and t-shirt, hop in your car, roll down the windows, crank up some 50 Cent, slowly cruise though East St Louis, and let the good times roll. :D
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby mzuleger » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Just found out I'm taking a roadtrip to STL on Friday for some discing (that's right WI to STL just to toss).

This will be my first time back since playing the creepy crawl in 2003.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Thx guys!

got back from Louis this afternoon...Played JB on Friday w my wife and had a BLAST! It was set up in the short pin locations but was still challenging and very fun. Shot 3 under and the ND surge got lots of throws...Almost got the ace on hole 1 w a glo buzz...met some locals who were really cool and hope to go back sometime...you have a great course!
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Courses