1st time w/ VINYL! Inspired by Chuck~YOU DA MAN!

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

1st time w/ VINYL! Inspired by Chuck~YOU DA MAN!

Postby Luv2Disc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:21 pm

After seeing some of your excellent work and finding out you do almost all your work free hand like myself, I was eager to push myself past the 2-D dyes and step into the 3rd dimension.. This was my first time using vinyl 8)

ChUcK wrote:This 175 Star Destroyer came out nice:

I swear it's a disc and not just a picture of a disco ball!

My Discraft Nuke:

It took a ton of patience :twisted: to not just cut out the vinyl but mainly the weeding and removing of vinyl after dying, I basically pulled off the entire surface of the disc with a couple pair of tweezers in tiny little pieces :x KUDOS CHUCK
Pre-dye:
My NEW DISCRAFT NUKE!:

My next post will either be a "saran wrap" job or a "fade" dye, I've only found a little info on the saran process ex. "NIN" disc, but still am unsure on how to go about getting the right "Marbled" effect. any other links to info or video of this method would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen: And I haven't found any posts on the "fading" process, just neat pictures!

Also with those of you that "paint" your RIT dye on, I was wondering the ratio and amount of RIT powder and acetone? Would it help to mix in a little bit of liquid RIT of the same color?
I read the post on thickening up the dye using a little bit of washing detergent to help it hold better to the disc. What's the best method for the boldest colors?

THE MISSION: To get TASTEFUL art flowing on the disc golf courses
DYE ON!
~R.D.

PS CHUCK, that sick "Beachball" disc that's your avatar, Did you paint that one or dip or both? How long did you leave the dye on before you cut out the pieces to create the 3-D look?
PDGA #39548 aka " The Machete "

~ Flying High Disc Golf ~
~ 5 ONE 5 Disc Golf ~

Carroll Marty DG video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjmyz5yqog
Luv2Disc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Discraft ESP Force

Re: 1st time w/ VINYL! Inspired by Chuck~YOU DA MAN!

Postby riverboy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:00 pm

Damn. Nice job. I am going to have to try something like this soon, with all the people posting pictures of these.
ChUcK wrote:Gateway doesn't use foil hotstamps. Dave Mac employs a neanderthal with a chisel and a loveless childhood.
riverboy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: CE eagle X

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:33 am

Here's a link to chuck's dye that you're inquiring about
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6043&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=210
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby ChUcK » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:38 am

Luv2Disc wrote:PS CHUCK, that sick "Beachball" disc that's your avatar, Did you paint that one or dip or both? How long did you leave the dye on before you cut out the pieces to create the 3-D look?

That was a standard 2-dip scheme. There are 3 shades of blue on it- the darkest was dipped first, then the middle color was weeded and dipped, and the lightest blue is just the color of the plastic. The first dip was for about 10 minutes, the second for about 2 minutes.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Return to Disc Artwork