MN/ BRP Course Conditions

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

MN/ BRP Course Conditions

Postby brentwood17 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:03 am

First day of March how much snow/ how are you courses looking? Hoping to play some Blue Ribbon Pines maybe Saturday the 6th probably Sunday the 7th. Any info.

Thanks

Brent Aschenbrenner pdga#30040
Brent Aschenbrenner
PDGA#30040
Wausau Area Disc Golf Enthusiasts http://www.wadgedisc.com
brentwood17
Noob

Favorite Disc: WRAITH

Re: MN/ BRP Course Conditions

Postby tigel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:40 am

Saturday gaycorn was melting nicely. The fairways still have about a foot of snow, but a lot is packed down. Some teepads are under water, some have leaves/sticks/dirt washed on them, and the rest are clear. Some of the clear ones I'm sure would be slippery if it was a cold day. (saturday it was 30 I think and I had problems on 5 slipping).
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby brentwood17 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 am

Anybody want to hook up to play a Sunday morning round on 3/7 at Blue Ribbon Pines. I have never been there but am anticipating this so much.

Brent Aschenbrenner
brentwood_17 at hotmail.com
Brent Aschenbrenner
PDGA#30040
Wausau Area Disc Golf Enthusiasts http://www.wadgedisc.com
brentwood17
Noob

Favorite Disc: WRAITH

Postby tigel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:18 am

Sorry Brent, didn't see this message until now. Spring rip it was Sunday at white bear lake..

This weekend MFA is holding the stew at BRP, might check their site for more info; or the thread in general. Beto is holding a casual tournament at acorn this sunday also...
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby nohr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:43 am

Is bryant lake open yet?

Answer my own question:
http://www.threeriversparks.org/parks/b ... ourse.aspx

Bryant Lake Disc Golf Course
Hours: sunrise–sunset, April 15–October 15, weather permitting
Phone: 763.694.7764
Address:
6800 Rowland Road
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

Not yet but getting close
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby emiller3 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Sorry to thread jack, but this one looks like it's dead and I don't want to start a new one unnecessarily.

Finally made it out to MN last week and played some disc, only 3 rounds though :cry: . You guys certainly have some beautiful courses, much greener than CO. I only played Crown College (St Bonifacius) and Bryant Lake Park, since they were the closest to where my in-laws lived and I couldn't get on here to get suggestions on other courses or have someone show me around. I think we'll be going out there every year, so next time I'd like to play Kaposia and BRP, I think. I took pics of the Crown course and posted them on DGCR.

My impressions, I was pleasantly surprised by the elevation changes and rolling hills at both courses. The mulch greens at Byrant Lake were cool and retaining walls and steps were really well done, very polished course. Playing with a mowed fairway and deep rough at Crown was fun, and it's in great shape since it's a relatively new course. Crown was too open to provide many threats for bogey, but most of the holes required a well executed drive to birdie thanks to their length or a well placed obstacle. I don't know how to judge difficulty, but I couldn't see myself shooting over par at Crown, and would probably be disappointed with an over par round at Bryant Lake as well, although it seemed a little tougher.

Was able to use my high altitude bag as is, but had no need for the Monarchs and should've brought a brand new, max weight Destroyer, I had to use Firebirds for distance hyzers. Still threw the same distance, it was just slower and glidier and got more of a full flight. My seasoned discs were where I really saw the stability difference, my DX Eagle that barely tracks left (LHBH) here at altitude was a pure turnover disc in MN, and my beat Pro Destroyer which hyzer flips to straight at altitude was practically useless.

Met a group of 5 Swedes on the first tee of Bryant Lake, nice guys. Despite living about an hour from Latitude 64 they hadn't heard of the Fuse, so I let them check it out. Nearly aced the hole with a Destroyer, ended up 15' behind the basket but we all thought it was going in. That was probably the highlight of the trip.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Dr. Burd » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:43 am

Bryant Lake is definitely Top 3 in my eyes. If you make it further east on your next trip, I recommend North Valley in Inver Grove Heights, and Lakewood Hills in White Bear Lake/ Maplewood.

Hopefully the new 6 holes at Lakewood will be finished by the time you get up there (making it 20).

North Valley is awesome; they just changed the layout and added holes, so I'll have to check that out. Some of the old holes are easier after some trees went (or were taken) down, but they combined some holes so the overall difficulty will probably stay about the same. Unfortunately, it IS pay-to-play as of this year. I *think* you can buy a daily pass at Kaposia for $5, and then just drive to North Valley and play, but you might want to look into that. Otherwise it's $30 for a season pass to both parks.

In my opinion (and probably no one else), Kaposia is a waste of time - especially now that it's pay to play. The only reason they're charging $5 a day is to convince people to spend $30 on the pass instead. Why would you play a piece of junk like Kaposia for $5, when you could play Bryant Lake for $3?

We'll see how much work they put into it over the next two years, but I think Kaposia's location is the only reason it's so popular. A handful of holes really make you hit a line or die (like, 5?), but a lot of this courses difficulty comes from the thick and crowded forest that is the rough.

I find it difficult to respect a course that's legendary for how poorly kept it is.
The Burd's Trade List | Aviar - Zone - Buzzz - XS - Teebird - Force
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Return to Courses