Disc Golfer's Elbow

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golfer's Elbow

Postby SkaBob » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:36 am

josser wrote:Before heading out to get chiropractic treatment, I suggest you look into the theory and efficacy of chiropractic. Quackcast episodes 10 and 11 are a good place to start. Let's just say that I will not be visiting a chiropractor in the future.

Haven't seen Quackcast, but I've been to both Chiropractors and Osteopaths to treat my spine, and I won't ever go to a Chiropractor again unless I have absolutely no other option.

Chiropractors treat their work like a business. More profits are to be had if the patient keeps coming back, which means if you treat the symptoms rather than the problem, get that patient to keep coming back, they're yet another cash cow.

Osteopaths treat their work like a calling. They fix the problem, so their patients don't have to keep coming in if they don't have to.

When my back has been OUT (and by out, I mean so much pain that my body refuses to do things like stand up without collapsing), Chiropractic care has taken 3 months to get back to mostly pain-free moving around.

One time I was going to Colorado to go skiing for a week. Threw my back out 2 days before I had to leave, so badly that I had to have someone CARRY my ass to the car to get to the doctor. My osteopath took 30 minutes to fix it, and I went skiing like a mad man without any pain.

Oh yeah, and the last time I went to a chriopractor? He did the "snap your neck" thing and caused me to have neck problems (that still persist, 6 years later) for the first time in my life.

So, in short, if you want to deal with your elbow pain, see an osteopath or a physical therapist, and stay as far away from a chiropractor's office as you can.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:43 am

SkaBob wrote:My osteopath took 30 minutes to fix it, and I went skiing like a mad man without any pain.

Never been to anything but physiotherapy out of those but now I know where to go if my back gets so bad that self stretching and muscle training won't make the pain go away.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby SkaBob » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 am

JR wrote:
SkaBob wrote:My osteopath took 30 minutes to fix it, and I went skiing like a mad man without any pain.

Never been to anything but physiotherapy out of those but now I know where to go if my back gets so bad that self stretching and muscle training won't make the pain go away.

Man, I was amazed! I went there expecting her to make it less painful and to have to stick to the bunny slopes all week, but without so much as an x-ray (oh man, if you ever wanna get under a chiropractor's skin, tell him you had great spinal adjustments from an osteopath that didn't need to take x-rays to do their work! they just can't believe it's possible!), she found the disc that was pinching the nerves causing the problem and put it back in place. The 30 minutes I mention doesn't really do what she did justice. The first portion of appointments with that doctor involve about 10 minutes of ultrasonic deep-tissue massage and about 10 minutes of ice after that. What she did after her other staff had done those probably only took about 2 minutes!

I will qualify my story and admit that she was super awesome master level osteopath, and that her replacement when she retired wasn't capable yet to deal with my mis-shapen spine (lack of experience, not lacking technique), but I have yet to find an osteopath that I have any genuine complaints about in terms of technique and efficacy.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby nohr » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:55 am

josser wrote:Before heading out to get chiropractic treatment, I suggest you look into the theory and efficacy of chiropractic. Quackcast episodes 10 and 11 are a good place to start. Let's just say that I will not be visiting a chiropractor in the future.

You have to realize that very few chiropractors are actually medical doctors. The advice being given was for massage not a chiropractor. I have never been to a chiropractor so I don't know what happens. But any medicine where they recommend coming back for the rest of your life is out of wack. I have a ton of personal negative feelings about the profession. I apologize if any of you are chiropractors (if you are go get your medical degree and I won't have a bone to pick with you).

For those that regularly get massages how often do you get them?
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby FierceTable » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:26 am

I found a website that talks about some general treatment plans for 'disc golfer's elbow.'

http://www.tennis-elbow-treatments.com/ ... ercise.php

This is no substitute for seeing a licensed physician, but for those without major problems these exercises are great at both recovering from and preventing problems that can occur from the repeated motions used in disc golf (and other sports).
FierceTable
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby tigel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:46 pm

During bowling green my elbow/upper arm/shoulder started REALLY bothering me. Sort of why I played so poorly. It's an odd pain. As in it will be a 9 on the 10 scale, then it will just stop hurting after resting or something... I don't understand. I stretch, try to throw as smoothly as possible, and even take ibuprofen and it still comes back. It's only when I throw forehand or overhand. Within two tomahawks a few days ago I started feeling pain and immediately stopped throwing those and it went away.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury