Critique me plz

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Critique me plz

Postby seabas22 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnbO_sC1Ei0

I haven't been able to play outside in forever with my new form because of all the snow, but it feels pretty good. I was avg 350' with my old form with fairway drivers which had less shoulder rotation, less weight forward and timing acceleration is now later. Im assuming I can hit 400' with this new form reliably now because I would hit 400' every once a while before. Any notes are appreciated, thanks!
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Re: Critique me plz

Postby JR » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:34 am

Welcome!

I'd like to see the plant step heel higher to avoid stresses to the ankle. Also try to push rotationally with the left leg and twist simultaneously with the right to turn your torso faster toward the target. You can get more speed and rotation on the disc by twisting harder with the hips and turning the shoulders faster prior to disc release. Your chest is pointed way left of the target when you'd be better served by facing the target. If you get your elbow closer toward the target before hopping the forearm straight you'll get more tendon bounce resulting in more speed and spin on the disc. If you can hold on to the disc long enough. You are quite upright still. Try to get your heart as close to the target as your right knee at the time of the rip. If I saw correctly at least some of the drives had the arm accelerating at the left pec. Try to delay the usage of arm power until the right pec or even two inches later. Check out what concentrating on maximum muscle looseness until then does and try to avoid starting the arm powering at 100%. A quick rising acceleration rate gives the best speed to spin overall ratio in my current experience. Kudos on using a Leopard :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:20 am

Thanks JR, I think I see what you are saying on most of that...more weight forward, later acceleration and keep disc closer to right pec.

What do you mean plant step heel higher? I've recently been working on trying to pivot on my heel. I still pivot on my ball, but its getting closer to the heel.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:50 am

From health point of view it's either or. Either ball of foot or heel pivot, never even half of the sole touching the ground or worse yet flat footed. Heel digs into soft ground more easily so my locale with mostly soft wet ground around the year may influence my aversion to burrowing and twisting the ankle. With danger of falling on my face after the heel sticking into the ground. And I'm not the heaviest person around although with poor weight to sole area ratio.

In slippery conditions wider area of the ball of foot gives me more balance and stability plus resistance to sliding forward instead of pivoting with the last step.

There is a pendulum type of planting as well where the toe lands first and the foot falls onto the heel while the ball of the foot rises high during the pivot and then the ball of the foot lands again while the heel raises in the latter part of the pivot and follow through. Champ's Way DVD illustrates this but many top players do it so youtube away.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seabas22 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsUL5et4yyE

Updated vid with heel pivot! Thanks JR, I didn't quite understand what you said until masterbeato kinda dumbed it down for me in the heel pivot thread. What a difference a little timing makes. Im throwing Teebirds and Eagles 350' on a line drive with what feel likes 50% power. Im having a hard time trying to get a steep enough hyzer angle to hyzer-flip my Roadrunner now.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby rehder » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:09 am

It does look better, but it still seems you are throwing slightly around your body. Instead fo throwing/punching towards the target with intent.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:53 am

You plant anny and throw hyzer. See what happens with the last step landing one foot to the right of the current position. It's difficult to predict what else changes once you get your posture aligned with the initial angle of the disc. You might like it :D
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby keltik » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:37 pm

I would like to see video from another angle like the "traditional" side view.

I would also like to have that same net you are throwing into.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby seabas22 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gVuRpuanc

More progress thank you guys! The heel pivot is much more natural now. Just wish the weather was nicer so I can see how it flies, but I feel a difference. Still have issue keeping hyzer.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:21 am

Congratulations you're improving fast! And on the easiest to critique videos ever. Those slow mos and stop motions make things a lot easier to see.

In the stop motion right after the right pec position you can draw a line from your right heel to your neck. That angle vs vertical shows that you're a bit hyzer with the body which makes it easier to throw hyzers. However; if you look at the line you're running on your right foot still lands about 4" of it. Which for pivot and hip clearing reasons is good for a flat throw and for a hyzer a couple more inches to the right is good for a mild hyzer and 3-4" more for steep hyzers and a few inches more for spikes.

You do clear your hips better but there's still some jamming in the end which is partially taken care of by 4-6" of plant step moving toward the right. That quickens up the pivot giving more power but also making timing of the arm swing more difficult as things happen faster. I like how you get the elbow far ahead of the right side. The direction your lower arm is pointing in the right pec stop motion and the one after that shows that you're throwing to the left of the net before the immediate vicinity of the rip. Where you get closer to the center which means you're not pulling toward the center in a straight line from the right pec position. Which is ok for a max D hyzer flip from a Leopard. And there the run up fro right rear to left front of the tee does not help. That is for annies. A Leo will flip on it's own with power and I think you have plenty for a Leo. When you run from left rear to front right (or front center for mild hyzers) with an initial hyzer release you'll clear hips easier and maintain a natural posture for a hyzer release making achieving them natural, easy and repeatable.

The part about not pulling straight at the target the whole time is fixed by timing the right pec position later. You achieve it just a little ahead of time and don't have a long enough what some call as a pause. In the pause the arm is consciously pulled slowly with loose muscles from reach back position (before the pause) with the legs and body turning until facing 90 degrees left of the target then stopped and continuing with the arm only until the right pec. Ending the pause the legs firing their best effort immediately followed by the hips then the shoulders and the elbow chop by which time you should almost face the target at the rip. This timing thing is secondary to fixing the direction of the x steps matching the hyzer. Because changing that may fix the pause automatically. Good luck.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Video Critique