Video Critique Requested

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Video Critique Requested

Postby tehcoop » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:48 pm

While I'm fairly new to DG, I'm very new to backhand shots. In an effort to develop a workable backhand shot i'd like to generate a few videos of my progression. The following are three vids throwing backhand. I attempted to slow my appraoch speed down to help me concentrate on better form. Having some place to start from, I present the following for any advice and critique you can offer. My buds and I shot several takes of each of our drives and I intend to update them as I progress so i can track my progression. These shots were all around 250, with one stretching to 300.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzmTuY5Y7Oc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jitIccIsG1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCDPuhLq76w

The video has helped me somewhat in seeing how my foot work on my left foot seems to be working against me as I am dragging it, due to my heel being planted and not staying on my toes. I can also see that ive got some work to do on stopping my elbow. I've watched a few of my frinds videos we shot and have seen some of the things they are doing to get some D going, so im excited to see where this goes.

Thanks in advance for anything you can help me with.
tehcoop
Noob

Favorite Disc: roadrunner

Re: Video Critique Requested

Postby Star Shark » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:14 pm

The first two shots your weight was still fairly far back in your stance. You did a solid job of correcting that in that last roadrunner throw tho.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby black udder » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:24 pm

your step is probably a bit too wide for where you are. You can try a shorter final step so your feet are closer together - that will help you get your chest over your front knee more. You're pulling from the back of your reach back instead of late and you're not getting the disc in close to your chest. Also, your off arm is away from you and not doing anything. If you're going to keep it away, use it for momentum or just keep it down by your side.

You're not putting much lower body power into the throw, mostly upper and not much hip power.

I'd hazard a guess that there isn't much wrist extension either.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby tehcoop » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks for the tips, i will try and shorten my steps and see if i can get the whole body involved instead of just my upper body. This is a work in progress and my beginning drives are pretty sloppy so far.
tehcoop
Noob

Favorite Disc: roadrunner

Postby keltik » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:33 pm

you are taking too big of steps in your run up. It is causing you to have your weight back at the "hit". you are also "strong arming" the disc like BU was saying. You have to "pull" the disc later in your swing.

Look up the Masterbeato video on the technique thread. it will definitely teach you how to pull late and how to build up your run-up from the hit backwards. It will show you how to use your legs more effectively.

and my suggestion is to do your driving practice with a putter like a KC Aviar, a Pro-D Challenger or a Wizard. a Sidewinder or a RoadRunner aren't the best discs to learn driving form with. I say use a putter or a Roc. Try to throw those 300 feet on a straight line and then pick up your drivers.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Return to Video Critique