Tylenol before playing?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tylenol before playing?

Postby Danforth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:56 pm

For all of us who are over 30 and can tell that we're not 18 anymore, do you think it's a good idea to pump up on tylenol or something like it before playing a few rounds, or before filed practice?

One time I took 3,000mg 2 hours before field practice, and had some of my best TeeChicken throws of my life. All over 400' and very consistent.

Was this the tylenol or just a lucky day?
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:10 pm
Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:58 am

Danforth wrote:For all of us who are over 30 and can tell that we're not 18 anymore, do you think it's a good idea to pump up on tylenol or something like it before playing a few rounds, or before filed practice?

One time I took 3,000mg 2 hours before field practice, and had some of my best TeeChicken throws of my life. All over 400' and very consistent.

Was this the tylenol or just a lucky day?


3000 milligrams!! You might have been hallucinating and tossing minis in your bathtub.

If you take medications unnecessarily you are building up a tolerance to them unnecessarily. I am sore every day because I am old and I play a lot and work out a lot. I avoid pain pills (analgesic/anti-inflammatory) and only take them for injury or dehydration. I purposely take in water and caffeine and stretch a lot.

After the rounds I find fermented grain beverages have spiritual benefits.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental
User avatar
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:32 pm
Location: Brighton, Michigan
Favorite Disc: Rattler

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby A.Mutt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:11 am

Mark Ellis wrote:
Danforth wrote:For all of us who are over 30 and can tell that we're not 18 anymore, do you think it's a good idea to pump up on tylenol or something like it before playing a few rounds, or before filed practice?

One time I took 3,000mg 2 hours before field practice, and had some of my best TeeChicken throws of my life. All over 400' and very consistent.

Was this the tylenol or just a lucky day?


3000 milligrams!! You might have been hallucinating and tossing minis in your bathtub.

If you take medications unnecessarily you are building up a tolerance to them unnecessarily. I am sore every day because I am old and I play a lot and work out a lot. I avoid pain pills (analgesic/anti-inflammatory) and only take them for injury or dehydration. I purposely take in water and caffeine and stretch a lot.

After the rounds I find fermented grain beverages have spiritual benefits.


ROFL :lol:
I agree, I personally believe in only taking meds when absolutely needed.
Magic + Challenger + Buzzz + Hornet + Tbird + PD + Valkyrie + Force + Nuke
A.Mutt
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:18 pm
Location: center of the O-state
Favorite Disc: S-PD

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby mark12b » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:32 am

i've heard that pre-medicating with ibuprofen (aka "vitamin i" in the age-protected divisions) can help prevent some kinds of pains and soreness... i was on an anti-inflammatory for a while for my elbow, similar concept. but tylenol is just a painkiller so less beneficial as far as that goes.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby BLURR » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:07 am

I usually pop a couple of advil before a round. Usually helps fight off that soreness. Also, during tournies, I will pop two before the first round and then two between rounds. Even when I was a young pup I used to do this.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby Jaysus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:24 am

I have recently not only taking 2 advil before rounds, but also carrying some in my bag just in case I need it.

I don't like getting old.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: H'burg, PA

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby Dig It » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:49 am

I've taken a pair of Aleve before a tourny round when my back was a little sore going into it before and it really calmed me and my back down. I will usually take some if I am feeling sore before a round but I don't take any preemptively due to Mark's point. I also burn hella nuggets so that may be why I don't reach for the pills that often.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:13 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby nohr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Couldn't you hurt yourself more by masking a pain and seriously tearing or tweaking something.
nohr
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby keltik » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:16 pm

nohr wrote:Couldn't you hurt yourself more by masking a pain and seriously tearing or tweaking something.


this is what I'm thinking, but my slippery lumbars also sing a different tune.

oh and you guys need to stay away from Tylenol/Acetaminophen that shit is proven to destroy livers. you should especially avoid it if you like to drink adult refreshments. It accelerates liver damage with alcohol. Good old aspirin does the trick. but I usually take 1000mg at a time.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3380
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby Jaysus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:33 pm

keltik wrote:
nohr wrote:Couldn't you hurt yourself more by masking a pain and seriously tearing or tweaking something.


this is what I'm thinking, but my slippery lumbars also sing a different tune.

oh and you guys need to stay away from Tylenol/Acetaminophen that shit is proven to destroy livers. you should especially avoid it if you like to drink adult refreshments. It accelerates liver damage with alcohol. Good old aspirin does the trick. but I usually take 1000mg at a time.


My liver is bad and needs to be punished.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: H'burg, PA

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby Danforth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:50 pm

nohr wrote:Couldn't you hurt yourself more by masking a pain and seriously tearing or tweaking something.


That's one of my worries, but pumping up on pain killers/anti-inflamitories seems to do some magic for me. 8)
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:10 pm
Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby victorb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 pm

what Sarah DeMar says on her Team DC page, good advice:

Dealing with a Sore Muscle or Suspected Tendonitis
Disc golfers experience a lot of repetitive movement strains and injuries, whether its the torso rotation of the drive, the arm lift of the putt or even your routine before the shot (think of Bennett doing The Lawnmower!) When a muscle is overworked or pushed beyond it's comfortable range of motion, tiny tears in the muscle tissue can occur and lead to trigger points and the build-up of scar tissue, which is the same as stabilizing tissue. Scar tissue attempts to restrain movement so that no further damage occurs, but unfortunately the brain only knows that it feels pain during some movements. If you feel pain, you need to address it, ask it what it needs to help the muscle, and do it. If your throwing arm's rotator cuff is sore or sends stabs of pain down your arm, nob it with a Backnobber II or get a massage. If your shoulder joint hurts when you putt, use your fingertips to explore your pecs for sore spots and rub them out. The bottom line is PLEASE do not take an aspirin before every round and do nothing for sore muscles. Self-massage, ice, stretch and warm up properly. Take care of your muscular system and your golf game will take care of itself.


bolded for importance
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Columbia, MO
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby j_mardis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:23 am

This past fall I quit using pain medications (ibuprofen and tylenol, 3 each before I play any round) and got back to stretching and lifting. It has helped a lot, but I do still use a the pain relievers when I am playing a tournament where I will be throwing more than my normal amount. As mentioned above, and exactly what college baseball taught me, taking care of your body is the best medicine.

Jordan

PS: Rubber tubing exercises are probably the best, easiest, and fastest way to strengthen your throwing shoulder.
j_mardis
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:27 am
Location: Boise, Idaho
Favorite Disc: Flat top Roc BABY!

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby JR » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 am

victorb wrote:what Sarah DeMar says on her Team DC page, good advice:

Dealing with a Sore Muscle or Suspected Tendonitis
Disc golfers experience a lot of repetitive movement strains and injuries, whether its the torso rotation of the drive, the arm lift of the putt or even your routine before the shot (think of Bennett doing The Lawnmower!) When a muscle is overworked or pushed beyond it's comfortable range of motion, tiny tears in the muscle tissue can occur and lead to trigger points and the build-up of scar tissue, which is the same as stabilizing tissue. Scar tissue attempts to restrain movement so that no further damage occurs, but unfortunately the brain only knows that it feels pain during some movements. If you feel pain, you need to address it, ask it what it needs to help the muscle, and do it. If your throwing arm's rotator cuff is sore or sends stabs of pain down your arm, nob it with a Backnobber II or get a massage. If your shoulder joint hurts when you putt, use your fingertips to explore your pecs for sore spots and rub them out. The bottom line is PLEASE do not take an aspirin before every round and do nothing for sore muscles. Self-massage, ice, stretch and warm up properly. Take care of your muscular system and your golf game will take care of itself.


bolded for importance


My doc said that you wouldn't massage an open wound would you? So why would you stretch and massage already broken tissue that busted from overstretching in the first place? The advice up there may be beneficial later or not I don't know but let the tissue heal first before trying this.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11439
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Tylenol before playing?

Postby victorb » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:37 pm

JR wrote:
victorb wrote:what Sarah DeMar says on her Team DC page, good advice:

Dealing with a Sore Muscle or Suspected Tendonitis
Disc golfers experience a lot of repetitive movement strains and injuries, whether its the torso rotation of the drive, the arm lift of the putt or even your routine before the shot (think of Bennett doing The Lawnmower!) When a muscle is overworked or pushed beyond it's comfortable range of motion, tiny tears in the muscle tissue can occur and lead to trigger points and the build-up of scar tissue, which is the same as stabilizing tissue. Scar tissue attempts to restrain movement so that no further damage occurs, but unfortunately the brain only knows that it feels pain during some movements. If you feel pain, you need to address it, ask it what it needs to help the muscle, and do it. If your throwing arm's rotator cuff is sore or sends stabs of pain down your arm, nob it with a Backnobber II or get a massage. If your shoulder joint hurts when you putt, use your fingertips to explore your pecs for sore spots and rub them out. The bottom line is PLEASE do not take an aspirin before every round and do nothing for sore muscles. Self-massage, ice, stretch and warm up properly. Take care of your muscular system and your golf game will take care of itself.


bolded for importance


My doc said that you wouldn't massage an open wound would you? So why would you stretch and massage already broken tissue that busted from overstretching in the first place? The advice up there may be beneficial later or not I don't know but let the tissue heal first before trying this.


Muscle tissue reacts in a positive manner to massage - it increases blood flow to the affected area. Stretching helps muscles that are tight, but you're right - don't stretch a muscle that you think is already torn or damaged.

Basically I think she was trying to say that massage, ice therapy, if you are injured (which is what most sports medicine places will tell you to do for a muscle injury) and stretching and warming up properly to prevent becoming injured in the first place.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Columbia, MO
Favorite Disc: Comet

Next

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests