Wanted: Suggestions for Form Improvement: FH/BH (see video)

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Wanted: Suggestions for Form Improvement: FH/BH (see video)

Postby evansr10 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:43 pm

VIDEOS:

FOREHAND:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnix7hHyyJ4

BACKHAND:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dU9cSfYwSg

Hello again, peoples. I have been working on my form for forehand AND backhand, and I want to see if I'm going the right direction. I'm still not getting the forward weight transfer right I don't think on my forehand, but my arm hurts alot less and I can finally feel the snap in my wrist. I'm getting consistent 250-300 feet drives with my Wraith, teebird (sometimes), and predator. The backhand video is my first of it's kind, so I could definitely use some tips for it. I'm getting about the same results as with my forehand. I'm determined to improve my game. I have been throwing mids, putters, and fairways more often, and now I can get them further, but my distance discs are still right at 300. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by evansr10 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evansr10
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Wraith

Re: Wanted: Suggestions for Form Improvement: FH/BH (see video)

Postby lefty-hyzer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:00 pm

you mean feet...but i can tell you with certainty that none of those drives went even close to 300'. i'm just being realistic, not berating you with this statement but - you're going to need to keep on working, a lot, on the field before you touch 300' on average, or at all.
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Postby evansr10 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:26 pm

lefty-hyzer wrote:you mean feet...but i can tell you with certainty that none of those drives went even close to 300'. i'm just being realistic, not berating you with this statement but - you're going to need to keep on working, a lot, on the field before you touch 300' on average, or at all.

Yeah, that was my mistake on the feet thing and the backhand distance. Only my forehand is 250-300 max, backhand is probably more like 200-250 max. According to Google Earth, anyway. Didn't mean to exaggerate. Did the same thing on another site. And I appreciate the quick catch before the thread got too long. Anyway, what can I do to improve is the main question
evansr10
Noob

Postby MrScoopa » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:58 pm

With the forehand try to throw more level to the ground. Right now you are throwing the disc up in the air. Dipping the right shoulder will help to accomplish that. Pretend like you are trying to skip a rock across a pond or throwing a sidearm fastball.

In the backhand it looks like you are spinning around. To get any easy D you have to learn to stop the elbow. A big barrier is the fact that you never get your elbow forward. A good plus is it looks like you are getting your hips and lower body involved and not just using you arm! Keep the arm limp and let it guide the shot.

Look at the telegraphing your shot article on the main page. It might give you some insight on keeping those shots from flying up!

You have a fun journey ahead of you! Look at my first video critique to my last. I'm just now starting to get it!

Get out in that field and throw!
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby evansr10 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:10 pm

MrScoopa wrote:With the forehand try to throw more level to the ground. Right now you are throwing the disc up in the air. Dipping the right shoulder will help to accomplish that. Pretend like you are trying to skip a rock across a pond or throwing a sidearm fastball.

In the backhand it looks like you are spinning around. To get any easy D you have to learn to stop the elbow. A big barrier is the fact that you never get your elbow forward. A good plus is it looks like you are getting your hips and lower body involved and not just using you arm! Keep the arm limp and let it guide the shot.

Look at the telegraphing your shot article on the main page. It might give you some insight on keeping those shots from flying up!

You have a fun journey ahead of you! Look at my first video critique to my last. I'm just now starting to get it!

Get out in that field and throw!
the camera angle makes me look like I'm releasing higher than I really am, but I think I see what you mea
evansr10
Noob

Postby keltik » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Read this carefully: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139

and watch this repeatedly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo

It is good that you are seeking to improve.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Redisculous » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:54 pm

Page 12 of the maxing out at 300 thread is where the gold is. Try turning your torso away another 90 degrees instead of just wrapping your arm around your body at reachback. Reaching back is less "reaching" with your arm as it is pointing your body that way with your hips.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby evansr10 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:11 pm

keltik wrote:Read this carefully: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139

and watch this repeatedly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo

It is good that you are seeking to improve.

is this kloser to how i should throw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArQEHFCtY8
evansr10
Noob

Postby Timko » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:32 pm

There's really too much out of control movement in your arm. See how Dan's disc and arm remain on the same plane through the throw. This is what allows you to keep the disc flat and nose down (which is the first throw you want to focus on when learning backhand).

Slow it down too. You can throw 300' by throwing very slow and smooth.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Parks » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 pm

I think the first thing you should try to correct at this point is the nose up angle that you throw.

You start your pull low enough, but then it looks like you don't get your weight forward and your disc gets too high at the end.

You will get a ton more distance and more consistent flights just by focusing on nose down.

Things to help keep the nose down: Wrist in "handshake" position the whole way, get weight forward over your plant knee, get keep the disc close to your body during the pull, and keep your pull line low and level the whole way. Make sure your lead shoulder doesn't get too high too early.

After that, it will be easier to move on to other stuff.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:16 am

First off: Your throws will be a lot different once you push hard with the rear leg to get the weight forward. And that's where the real critique should occur because many things can change then. For the right pec drill: You accelerate hard from the reach back which is the wrong position. First you should learn to place the acceleration right and that's easy to achieve by not reaching back from the right pec position at all. Just fire from there. Forehand follow through is painfully different from the pre rip arm swing plane. Mega OAT. Keeping the arm moving in the same direction before and after the rip cleans up flight and radically change flight lies and distance for the better. That's fast to improve and gives great results. Enjoy 8)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique