Best defunct snack foods of all time

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:24 am

i want to know what happened to sharkle berry fin?

it was hunted to extinction like whatever animal(s) are in a mcrib.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:51 am

It's crazy how much snack foods vary from region to region. Once while I was living in Santa Barbara, I started fiending for "Combos"--you know, the cheese filled pretzel snacks? It dawned on me that I hadn't seen them in a while, whereas they're in every snack food aisle on the east coast. I started asking people if they knew where to get Combos and they were like "you mean like a #4 from McDonald's?" :lol: I was eventually able to track them down at Rite-Aid.

One thing I miss out here on the west coast though is Utz brand potato chips. Two varieties that stand out in particular: Crab chips (flavored with Old Bay seasoning) and Grandma Utz (deep fried in lard--so incredibly bad for you, but oh so good 8) )
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:54 am

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:...one thing I miss out here on the west coast though is Utz brand potato chips. Two varieties that stand out in particular: Crab chips (flavored with Old Bay seasoning) and Grandma Utz (deep fried in lard--so incredibly bad for you, but oh so good 8) )

Good Call...Utz chips rock!!!!
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby deaddisc » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:15 pm

My gf and I have been discussing this topic whenever we go into target.

Rips- sour candy very similar to sour patch kids, but so much better. Could only find them at target, but even that now has dried up. Few treats better to me than these, I just love devouring a whole bag in like 10 minutes and then having my tongue quiver for the following week due to the heavy amounts of sour sugar.

Also, love the comment about the shipping Blake. That was priceless.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jorr16 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:43 pm

alright...have to chime in here cause I can think of a few products that I wish I could still get:

HI-C Ecto Cooler= it was green Hi-c that was from the ghostbuster phase...they kept it for probably 10 years after the ghostbuster craze stopped but still hoping that I can find some everytime I go down that aisle

McJordan= I think this was a chicago thing when the bulls were dominating the NBA...have not been able to find any info on it anywhere...I can remember eating it and it being awesome for a 10 year old but I don't remember exactly what it was..I have heard two different stories...one being a double mcrib or another being a double bacon bbq cheese burger...(i swear to God if MCDs puts out a double cheese with BBQ and Bacon on thier $1 menu I will get super fat!!)

other than that nothing that really stands out in my head...
J
When walking up to tee
Strive to be bogey free

Discs for Trade/Sale
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=3395
jorr16
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:00 pm

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:One thing I miss out here on the west coast though is Utz brand potato chips. Two varieties that stand out in particular: Crab chips (flavored with Old Bay seasoning) and Grandma Utz (deep fried in lard--so incredibly bad for you, but oh so good 8) )

Utz is located in Hanover, PA about an hour from me. I didn't realize they even distributed to the west coast.

I have two personal Utz favorites. Their Smokin Sweet is the best chip on the planet. Spicy and sweet at the same time and very addictive. Their sweet potato chips are my second favorite, not as sweet as smokin sweet but extremely addictive, I could eat five 3 oz bags without even realizing it.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby calvarycoffee » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:07 pm

i used to work at Target and Hy-vee.

There is a law that says that a product has to change/improve every 2 years or so. i don't remember the details.
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Re: Best defunct snack foods of all time

Postby roadkill » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:08 pm

Blake_T wrote:, smart food white cheddar popcorn,

The best white cheddar popcorn is made by Lance. I used to get Lance white cheddar popcorn everyday from the vending machine at a place I worked for in the early 90s. For me there were few things anywhere close to being this addictive. Unfortunately, I have never seen it on store shelves. I've tried smart food, Herr's and several generic brands but none could hold a candle to Lance's version.

I think I'll see if they have a website with info about this product. I haven't seen it for about 12 years.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmrichar » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:08 pm

Doritos 3D used to be awsome!
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:29 pm

roadkill wrote:Utz is located in Hanover, PA about an hour from me. I didn't realize they even distributed to the west coast.

I have two personal Utz favorites. Their Smokin Sweet is the best chip on the planet. Spicy and sweet at the same time and very addictive. Their sweet potato chips are my second favorite, not as sweet as smokin sweet but extremely addictive, I could eat five 3 oz bags without even realizing it.

No, they don't distribute out here, as far as I know. I'm originally from back east though, and have fond memories of the Utz empire.

Never had the Smokin Sweet chips, but they sound good! If I saw some in the Buy/Sell/Trade section, I just might have to break down and buy some! :D
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:37 pm

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:It's crazy how much snack foods vary from region to region. Once while I was living in Santa Barbara, I started fiending for "Combos"--you know, the cheese filled pretzel snacks? It dawned on me that I hadn't seen them in a while, whereas they're in every snack food aisle on the east coast. I started asking people if they knew where to get Combos and they were like "you mean like a #4 from McDonald's?" :lol: I was eventually able to track them down at Rite-Aid.

One thing I miss out here on the west coast though is Utz brand potato chips. Two varieties that stand out in particular: Crab chips (flavored with Old Bay seasoning) and Grandma Utz (deep fried in lard--so incredibly bad for you, but oh so good 8) )

I lived in Australlia for few years, there was no DR Pepper, nor was there any combos. I missed them so much, I had a friend bring me a bag and a 2 liter bottle when he came to visit. The DR Pepper was not allowed through customs :cry:
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:31 pm

rodeo burgers at burger king were nice, i often try to get them to put 3 onion rings and bbq on a cheesburger but they say no.

Same thing with taco bell, cheesy gordita crunch was amazing but is now gone, they will still make it tho if you ask.

I remember eating alot of lance white cheddar popcorn in middle school, it definitely edges out smartfood white cheddar. As a matter of fact, the texas grill fritos i spoke about in a earlier post we combined with the lance white cheddar and whatever other assorted salty snack we could find every day at the middle school lunch table. we would all contribute some of our snack to others bags then mix it up and feast. it was titled space f*ck, don't ask me why. o how i miss the 90's....

even the music was better then. I never listen to the radio anymore but back then it was cool: the verve, local H, meat puppets, screaming trees, our lady peace, rage, 311, bush, so many more
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby domromer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:00 pm

yeah, I liked the 90's much more,
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby roadkill » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:37 pm

You guys remember Hardees?

I know there are still some around but the vast majority of them became Roy Rogers' or simply closed altogether. Hardees had a mushroom swiss burger that was insanely good. Their secret incredient was that sweet and tangy sauce they put on them. Part french onion soup, part mushroom and totally addictive. Btw the glazed cinnamon rasin biscuits were pretty good also.

Whenever I'm in York, Pa I think about stopping in at Hardees because they have like 3-4 Hardees left. Outside of York I only know of one other Hardees restaurant.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:49 pm

hardees is still around in the midwest.

on the west coast that chain became carls jr.

their food was garbage until like 5 years ago when they stepped it up and actually have some good stuff now, although the peak of their fame was probably from the racecar in days of thunder.

space f*ck is a song by hum from the early 90's hehe.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.