emiller3 wrote:I briefly tried it, but gave up almost immediately.
I don’t understand why people think they’re going to pick this up right off the bat. Its going to completely fix their putting flaws with little effort, and hardly any practice. You have to put an hour or two per day into learning this or you’ll never get good at it. It's really not at all easy to learn this no matter how great the teacher. This stroke isn't something that just comes natural to people like throwing a ball. It’s an awkward motion and it takes a long time to build up enough strength in the wrist to execute this properly. Like everything else in this game, the muscle memory takes a while to develop.
Challenge yourself and learn to do it. Stick with it and you'll be glad you did.
emiller3 wrote:I went back to the short arm technique and shortened up my release. I've been accidentally long-arming my release for a couple months now without realizing it, and trying out push putting helped me realize it.
The push putt and short arm technique are one in the same. But I do understand what you mean about correcting flaws by trying other techniques. I went through the same thing you’re going through. It’s a process that will ultimately lead you to wanting to learn the push putt.
The funny thing is, the first time I picked up a putter I immediately tried to make the shot by push putting. Granted, the shot had so much hyzer angle on it I wouldn’t have called it a push putt. I then learned to spin putt, and I was pretty good at that for a while but realized it had many flaws, specifically what Feldberg describes in this video (the crosshair thing). I’ve now made it all the way back to square one with a much better overall technique and a much better understanding of the technique.
I think this all boils down to how good you want to be. I’d say that probably 90% of the good to great putters I’ve seen use this technique. The other 10% (spin putters) have burned those muscle memories into their brains so much so that they can hit their crosshair with really good consistency. The problem with that stroke is you’re not directing the entire stroke towards your target. You’re using a hinge/rip point and hoping you’re timing the hinge properly which creates a very small window for error. The great thing about push putting is that throughout the entire stroke the disc does not deviate from the target line.
When a spin putter is having a bad day, they’re having a really bad day. Aiiiiir ballllll!!! When a pitch/short-arm/push putter is having a bad day they’re barely missing.