Best defunct snack foods of all time

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:40 pm

Whoa, Hardee's are disappearing? They were as common as Burger Kings when I was still living in the south east. And Blake, I might be mistaken, but I think Carl's Jr. has always been around out here, but they bought out Hardee's, and then Hardee's picked up the "smiley star" motif. Or it might be the other way around. I remember there was one chain that was short lived, but it was really good: "Rax" I believe it was called. It was like a step up from normal fast food, kinda what some of the Arby's restaurants are today. I guess they were before their time though, and didn't last long. Anybody ever eaten at a "Bojangles"? They're another chain I miss from the good ol' days down south.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:48 pm

hah, rax, fast food with style.

you ordered yer crap at the normal menu area and then took a number and they brought yer food to you and forced their employees to wear tuxes.

i've eaten at bojangles before.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:18 pm

Blake_T wrote:hah, rax, fast food with style.

hahah, hell yeah! I remember one of the things that really "set them apart" was the frozen yogurt bar. You'd go up with your little cup to the swirly-pooper-machine (chocolate, vanilla, or twist) and then load up your frozen yogurt with as many toppings as you wanted. Man, I must have been like 10 years old then...I'm glad to know I wasn't just imagining it!
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby superq » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:26 am

was it Rax or Rallys one of those short lived fast food joints had the most amazing seasoned waffle fries on the planet.

What about the original Kudos bars?

my all time fav was 3d doritos with easy cheese, bite the edge off the chip and filler up... ( the new white chedar easy cheese is the BOMB!)
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby garublador » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:49 am

I know they still exist, but I miss having a Little Cesar's in town. They seem to have left the midwest...or at lest the Twin Cities and Des Moines area. Also, the first one to open a Chipoltle and Jamba Juice in Des Moines will make a killing.

For you Twin Cities guys, have you ever been to McCoy's in St. Louis Park (I know there's one in KC, too)? I used to live nearby and we had been going there since they opened. At our last count, they had removed 5 or 6 things from the menu that many of my group of friends all liked, including having Summit on tap, which I thought was illegal up there. ;)
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:01 am

heh. little caesars. the only thing i miss about them was the 2 large pizzas for $8.99. they were executed for the crime of trying to disguise cheese bread as pizza (it is my personal belief that pizza is supposed to have sauce on it :P )
Blake_T

Postby Glock23 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:08 am

heh. little caesars. the only thing i miss about them was the 2 large pizzas for $8.99. they were executed for the crime of trying to disguise cheese bread as pizza (it is my personal belief that pizza is supposed to have sauce on it )

There is still one by where I work. All large 1 topping are $5. It is actually pretty good stuff, they must have learned their lesson on the sauce.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:09 am

ah.

they used to use like a tablespoon's worth of sauce to cover a 14" pizza.
Blake_T

Postby PeterM_Vang » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:39 am

garublador wrote: including having Summit on tap, which I thought was illegal up there. ;)

Summit on tap is not illegal up here. It's on tap almost everywhere along with their tasty seasonal beers.
PeterM_Vang
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby bigs348 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:42 am

Man, I miss Rally's. My first couple years of college, we'd hit that place up all the time. They had the $.99 Spicy Chicken sandwich. We'd go there and buy 2 or 3 each...

Then it went away, and the building became a Check Cashing/Car Title for a Loan type place. But they didn't bother changing the decorations, half the building was still painted like a checkered flag. Made me laugh and hungry for a chicken sandwich everytime I drove by after that.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:51 am

PeterM_Vang wrote:
garublador wrote: including having Summit on tap, which I thought was illegal up there. ;)

Summit on tap is not illegal up here. It's on tap almost everywhere along with their tasty seasonal beers.

I suggested that not having Summit on tap was illegal. It was a joke.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby superq » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:03 am

cuz there fast fast and there cheap cheap!

Dr. Pepper gum.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:54 am

Blake_T wrote:heh. little caesars. the only thing i miss about them was the 2 large pizzas for $8.99. they were executed for the crime of trying to disguise cheese bread as pizza (it is my personal belief that pizza is supposed to have sauce on it :P )

And also, it should be baked in a real oven. Little Ceasars uses high powered microwaves to cook their pizzas, that's how they can roll them out so quickly. They're definitely a good deal for someone on a budget though...I'd rather have them than Domino's.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:44 pm

heh, what constitutes baking it in an oven varies nowadays.

runnin through a conveyer belt @600 degrees for 3 minutes and then sticking it in a heat reflection bag for 15 minutes is domino's prime choice now.
Blake_T

Postby Amateur » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:47 pm

The little caesars in my area uses a regular conveyer style pizza oven. Their dough is so cheap that is will cook in 4 minutes. If your dough will cook in 4 minutes and all your toppings are pre cooked, you can crank those bad boys out.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.