Ok, first Video, lets hear it haha

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ok, first Video, lets hear it haha

Postby weedjj » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:40 pm

Ok, I started playing last fall and after watching and reading over the winter have started back up this spring. I have finally gotten a video for you guys to start critiquing, hehe I have been working hard trying to keep my elbow in and focus on my x-step and follow through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iujIjEeZfNg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7CYZS5HuyE

The first video I threw 2 rocs and a core and in the 2nd video I threw a leopard, teebird, and an Orc I think.
I appreciate any help and input you guys can throw my way!

P.S 2nd video was filmed sideways by my Filmer, haha, so I had to edit it to make it upright and it made everything a little squashed, so sorry for the less than perfect quality hehe
weedjj
Noob

Favorite Disc: River

Re: Ok, first Video, lets hear it haha

Postby weedjj » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:21 pm

after looking at one of beto's videos again, I notice my take back is nothing like his, mine is more behind me and the disk is angled. That can't be good for consistency coming through. Anymore input on that or anything else would be awesome
weedjj
Noob

Postby biodarwin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:53 am

weedjj wrote:That can't be good for consistency coming through. Anymore input on that or anything else would be awesome

This would be the first thing I would work on. The pull line should be pretty close to a straight line. I would work on that first, then post another video.
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Postby JR » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:12 am

Your plan step placement changes. Usually it sets up an anhyzer. In the last throw of the first video the right leg should be 6-8" to the right of where it is now for a flat release. You don't get any power from the hips they need to twist to the left in the reach back and be twisted right of neutral as the disc leaves. The right foot placement jams the hip once you up the running speed and push harder with the left leg and pivot. You don't pause the chest direction to 90 degrees left of the target long enough to move the arm elbow forward and disc by the right pec. This robs you of most of snap. You're gonna gain noticeable distance changing these things. Enjoy :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby weedjj » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Awesome comments thanks! Now, to make sure I totally understand what you are saying. The first video is the one facing me from the side, so are you saying my last step forward should be 6-8 inches shorter? That would make sense to me, as I have wondered if my last stride was too long and could see where that would significantly reduce the amount of twist I am able to release from the original coil because my foot would block my hips as you said. Just making sure you arent saying my step should be further to the right looking from behind me.

Now, you mention the chest pause. Is that something that comes as a result of my last step being too long, or something I need to work on? If something I need to work on, can you explain that little bit to me?

So far, I need to simplify my takeaway a little and work on my last step. After the clarification on the above points, I will work on these and shoot another video to update.

Thanks again!
weedjj
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Your final step length is ok for so slow run ups so don't change that yet. More speed allows and needs a longer stride. Looking from behind the tee to the basket you should move the right leg 6-8" right for making flat releases easier. Relative to first video from the side in the final throw.

That chest pause is a timing issue plus proper body placement and order of things happening issue. All you need is to move the disc from your left side to the disc having just passed the right pec maintaining knee, hip, torso and shoulders in 90 degree angle to the target. The really firing up the kinetic chain from the legs up. It should take just a fraction of a second of fluid passing over of kinetic energy from legs up to the fingers. Just like the inrush current of water into a water hose will snake it around initially seeing the first drops of water moving in the pipe coiling/uncoiling the hose. The body should move in a similar unrestricted smooth motion in the order legs pushing while pivoting, knees twisting in the pivot, hip explosion, shoulder turn right after the rear of the disc has passed the right pec immediately followed by elbow chop with killer acceleration from the arm, the wrist shooting forward and straightening from the acceleration induced bend straight, wrist stopping abruptly followed by the disc pivoting between the index and the thumb pinching hard.

That's a brief introduction to snap.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby weedjj » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:29 pm

OK, I went out today for a little while in between the rain. I worked on shortening my takeback and keeping it lvl and having my last step going a little further to the right. As another person noticed in another one of these threads, I definately noticed the disc being released as a hyzer. I can work on that more, not too worried. I am trying to figure the timing thing out. I did notice a lot more potential power when I start my turn with my legs and hips rather than my arm which is what I believe I was doing. However, I dont know exactly how to time out the upper body thing with the chest and the pull through. Are there any drills to practice to get the feeling of how this all works, or is this just a keep going out into the field and keep working on it type of thing?

Josh
weedjj
Noob

Return to Video Critique