Renamed: Help cure my anny-itis

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Renamed: Help cure my anny-itis

Postby josser » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:41 pm

JR wrote:Sideways placement influences hyzer/flat/anny and the distance between the feet has an influence on nose angle. The longer the foot separation the harder it is to bend forward at the waist for nose down throws. Even standing still the stance changes from sideways foot placement because it tilts the whole body like the leaning tower of Pisa. It can influence hyzer/any a lot. Especially if you don't clear your hips getting them jammed.

I never thought about the distance between your legs influencing nose down, but that's a very good point.
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby masterbeato » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:52 pm

you are suffering from the shoulder disease which we call "shoulders that move in a constant motion".

only when throwing anhyzer should your shoulders come through as fast as possible. hyzer technique they move as slow as possible and not in a constant motion. if you learn the timing of the upper body first it is way more beneficial and the lower body is much easier to transverse. i speak this because i noticed that you are throwing turnovers rather than a true anhyzer form.

the thing that needs to be thought of when practicing this, is concentrate on not moving your shoulders until you can get to, and through the power zone positions, then your shoulders can be free to come forward.

basically, come forward with your shoulders (after parallel position) only when you feel that your elbow is maxed out (maximum bend), and the disc is at the armpit position.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby josser » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks for the diagnosis Dr. Dan, MB.

I had no idea that the shoulder speed should vary between anny and hyzer, but that makes a lot of sense when I take a couple of practice shots of each type. For the anhyzer, whipping the shoulder around really feels like the best way to get that up and over sweeping motion.

So far the only time I've been able to slow my shoulder rotation down at all and had a sense of what the elbow chop feels like is with Blake's garage drill where you don't start your pull until you've made eye contact with the target (link)

Blake_T wrote:hang up a bed-sheet or something in the garage. draw a 1' x 1' square on it. stand 8-10' back and perform stationary right pec drills that begin with a 90 degree turn of the right shoulder (turning you from 180 degrees away to 90 degrees away) and a slight lean/weight shift over your pivot foot. the chop will happen then. your goal is to throw full power at the square. DO NOT physically pull at all until you have visual contact and you can feel things directed down the line towards the square.

So what I am thinking I should be doing is continuing to work on this drill with extra attention paid to the shoulders. To do this it seems like I should try to have a sequence that looks something like

1. Have a medium-length reach back (like in my video);
2. Use my hips to get from shoulders away from the target to shoulders parallel to the target which pulls the disc in close to my rear peck;
3. Use my elbow to guide the disc across my chest to the elbow maxed out / disc in armpit position
4. Unload and try to nail that towel!

The problem, to my mind, is that there are multiple timing issues to deal with in there and trying to concentrate on that entire sequence at once. Is there an intermediate sequence or drill that would allow me to focus on less timing issues all at once and then the next step after that would be the sequence I outlined above?

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Redisculous » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 pm

I read somewhere that you should not be straightening out the knee of your plant leg, which you seem to be doing, which could be causing the bounce you were speaking of, which would cause you to come "over the top" and finish anny.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby josser » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:32 pm

Redisculous wrote:I read somewhere that you should not be straightening out the knee of your plant leg, which you seem to be doing, which could be causing the bounce you were speaking of, which would cause you to come "over the top" and finish anny.

Hmmm...

It looks like I kind of straighten it a bit during the foot pivot and then bend it again. I'm wondering if perhaps I am taking too big of a step (which JR alluded to) which is causing me to have to bounce up to get my weight forward enough to get my foot pivot to work. I will have to try that again while concentrating on a smaller step.

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MrScoopa » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:06 am

I concentrate on keeping my legs bent. If I pivot on my toes it torques my right knee. That hurts after a while. With a bent knee I pivot on my heel.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Previous

Return to Video Critique